Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Russell Brand and his views on Drugs

Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:37 pm

Russell Brand is meeting with ministers today to give his views on Drugs and those that take them. He is (apparently) to tell them these druggies are not victims or criminals as it is a disease :o :shock: :evil: :roll:
Excuse me its an addiction bought on by stupidness, selfishness, peer pressure, Boredom due to laziness, Someone who want or need that high, or people thinking its cool, But no one is forced to put that shit into there bodies. and it certainly AINT a disease, its an addiction.

To say its a disease its an insult to those that do have a disease that they cant beat or need to go through hell to beat. Someone who has seen a loved one die of Cancer would be offended by this clown Brand saying taking drugs is a disease and we should all feel sorry for them as it ain't there fault. Simple solution stop putting Drugs into your body, or don't start in the first place.

All we need now is those that choose this way of life is to be told it ain't there fault, or if your Grannies or Mothers house gets burgled or they are mugged by some lowlife druggie that it ain't there fault as this disease they call "taking drugs" made them do it. They choose that way of life, if that is what they want to do then that is up to them, But what concerns me is a Government that wants to listen to an imbecile that does not live in the real world, and to hang on his every word.

Rant over :D

Re: Russell Brand and his views on Drugs

Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:57 pm

I saw him briefly on the BBC News channel earlier. It seemed to me that he wasn't taking it seriously and he mentioned that he's no longer in trouble with the law "apart from the occasional skirmish."

I was hoping he might get involved in a bit of intelligent debate, but he went there dressed like a **** and acted like one.

Agree with you, Steve, that we mollycoddle too many people in this country. We need to impress upon people that we all have a responsibility to ourselves and those around us, to behave in a civilised fashion and when we get wasted to do it privately and without affecting others.

Druggies should not be pitied, we should hose them down and wake them up. Selfish w@nkers.

Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:58 pm

he's a tw*t at the best of times. :x :x

Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:10 pm

I've got my own resvations about the model of addiction and the evidence that backs it up. But there's so much evidence against keeping drugs illegal. Like all things if you criminalise it you create a black market just to fulfill that need.

Legalising it allows it to be taxed, stops billions being thrown into the black hole of drug control (that doesn't help) and means people who need help can get it with relative ease (although I don't think it's exactly hard now).

Although legalising it does clash with the idea if doctors needing years of training to prescribe complex drugs if you can just bu them in ASDA.

So yeah I'm not really sold either way.

Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:25 pm

RFMH wrote:I've got my own resvations about the model of addiction and the evidence that backs it up. But there's so much evidence against keeping drugs illegal. Like all things if you criminalise it you create a black market just to fulfill that need.

Legalising it allows it to be taxed, stops billions being thrown into the black hole of drug control (that doesn't help) and means people who need help can get it with relative ease (although I don't think it's exactly hard now).

Although legalising it does clash with the idea if doctors needing years of training to prescribe complex drugs if you can just bu them in ASDA.

Weather drugs hould be made legal or not is another matter. I have no idea if it would work better to make them legal. Do a pros and cons on the subject !!

Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:39 pm

Gobsmacked! ive just been through an episode with my 15yr old on "MEOW"? You want to legalise it?? Shocking. :cry:

Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:42 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:Russell Brand is meeting with ministers today to give his views on Drugs and those that take them. He is (apparently) to tell them these druggies are not victims or criminals as it is a disease :o :shock: :evil: :roll:
Excuse me its an addiction bought on by stupidness, selfishness, peer pressure, Boredom due to laziness, Someone who want or need that high, or people thinking its cool, But no one is forced to put that shit into there bodies. and it certainly AINT a disease, its an addiction.

To say its a disease its an insult to those that do have a disease that they cant beat or need to go through hell to beat. Someone who has seen a loved one die of Cancer would be offended by this clown Brand saying taking drugs is a disease and we should all feel sorry for them as it ain't there fault. Simple solution stop putting Drugs into your body, or don't start in the first place.

All we need now is those that choose this way of life is to be told it ain't there fault, or if your Grannies or Mothers house gets burgled or they are mugged by some lowlife druggie that it ain't there fault as this disease they call "taking drugs" made them do it. They choose that way of life, if that is what they want to do then that is up to them, But what concerns me is a Government that wants to listen to an imbecile that does not live in the real world, and to hang on his every word.

Im sorry Nukes but I have to disagree. Whether it be drugs, food, alcoholism, gambling workaholic etc Addiction IS certainly a disease. Many countries have identified this and treat drugs as an illness like Portugal for example which has reduced the crime rate.

Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:45 pm

World English Dictionary
self-inflicted

— adj
(of an injury) having been inflicted on oneself by oneself
:ayatollah:

Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:51 pm

Addiction is a persistent, compulsive dependence on a behavior or substance. The term has been partially replaced by the word dependence for substance abuse. Addiction has been extended, however, to include mood-altering behaviors or activities. Some researchers speak of two types of addictions: substance addictions (for example, alcoholism, drug abuse, and smoking); and process addictions (for example, gambling, spending, shopping, eating, and sexual activity). There is a growing recognition that many addicts, such as polydrug abusers, are addicted to more than one substance or process.

Drug chemistry
Some substances are more addictive than others, either because they produce a rapid and intense change in mood; or because they produce painful withdrawal symptoms when stopped suddenly.

Genetic factor
Some people appear to be more vulnerable to addiction because their body chemistry increases their sensitivity to drugs. Some forms of substance abuse and dependence seem to run in families; and this may be the result of a genetic predisposition, environmental influences, or a combination of both.

Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:52 pm

taffy123 wrote:World English Dictionary
self-inflicted

— adj
(of an injury) having been inflicted on oneself by oneself

Spot on Chief. Well i look at it like this. You don't inject yourself with Cancer or inhale Parkinson's do you.

Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:58 pm

RFMH wrote:I've got my own resvations about the model of addiction and the evidence that backs it up. But there's so much evidence against keeping drugs illegal. Like all things if you criminalise it you create a black market just to fulfill that need.

I'm not for legalising certain drugs. We've got 24 hour access to alcohol now and it's not doing us any good. If we did the same with these drugs, we'd have chaos, I think.

In my opinion, we should look for the reasons why people choose to take them in the first place and truly outlaw these drugs, rather than saying we have. As you said, they're easy to get hold of.

I realise that some people have their drug taking under control and enjoy them without doing anyone any harm, but there are far too many who get addicted and destroy their own lives and those of others.

Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:07 pm

DannyboyBluebirds wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:Russell Brand is meeting with ministers today to give his views on Drugs and those that take them. He is (apparently) to tell them these druggies are not victims or criminals as it is a disease :o :shock: :evil: :roll:

Im sorry Nukes but I have to disagree. Whether it be drugs, food, alcoholism, gambling workaholic etc Addiction IS certainly a disease. Many countries have identified this and treat drugs as an illness like Portugal for example which has reduced the crime rate.

Chief they get all the help they could get to kick there addiction if they want it, but most of the time they don't want it. But how the fook is calling it a disease gonna make them easier to treat ? They need to be treated to get them clear and then educated not to be so fooking stupid as to do it again. But some times its like trying to educate pork they are so stupid.
Now if you offer someone with Cancer, MS, Meningitis ETC if they would like treatment to help or cure them, they would be eternally grateful. A druggie seems to think they are doing you a favour they are so fooking selfish.
If my Boy ever dabbles i would batter him and that is putting it mildly. I would rip shit into him but i would never say. Son it ain't your fault you are ill with the most awful disease in the world

Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:14 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:
DannyboyBluebirds wrote:

Chief they get all the help they could get to kick there addiction if they want it, but most of the time they don't want it. But how the fook is calling it a disease gonna make them easier to treat ? They need to be treated to get them clear and then educated not to be so fooking stupid as to do it again. But some times its like trying to educate pork they are so stupid.
Now if you offer someone with Cancer, MS, Meningitis ETC if they would like treatment to help or cure them, they would be eternally grateful. A druggie seems to think they are doing you a favour they are so fooking selfish.
If my Boy ever dabbles i would batter him and that is putting it mildly. I would rip shit into him but i would never say. Son it ain't your fault you are ill with the most awful disease in the world

Agree with your sentiments, Chief, but the truth is, Carter would batter you!

Get in training now, just in case!

:lol:

Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:16 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:
DannyboyBluebirds wrote:

With you on that nukes... :ayatollah:

Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:40 pm

Not all people who experiment with drugs are stupid; that's an unfair generalisation. In fact, a lot of well-educated individuals have confessed to 'dabbling' so to speak (the Prime Minister for example.) Drug-taking does not directly correlate with stupidity.

Furthermore, why would you "batter" your son for experimenting? Would that teach him the downside to drugs? No. It's surprising how many people have tried recreational drugs. (Half of all 16-29 year olds have smoked cannabis.) The majority of whom dislike it and move on.

I think you have misconstrued what Mr Brand (who I personally despise) was suggesting. Addiction isn't being re-branded as a disease, but rather it should be treated as one. Long courses of medication, attempting to reduce the symptoms, and monitoring the patients condition are all applicable to drug addicts. Thus addicts must overcome the "disease" of addiction; a difficult task.

I have never, and will never, take drugs. However I would like the assurance that If I were to experiment, I wouldn't be battered by my Father. The primary solutions include education, medical guidance, and medication.

(N.B I would take what Mr Brand says, especially regarding drugs, with a pinch of salt.)

Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:52 pm

OhhhGa wrote:

Not all people who experiment with drugs are stupid; that's an unfair generalisation. In fact, a lot of well-educated individuals have confessed to 'dabbling' so to speak (the Prime Minister for example.) Drug-taking does not directly correlate with stupidity.

Furthermore, why would you "batter" your son for experimenting? Would that teach him the downside to drugs? No. It's surprising how many people have tried recreational drugs. (Half of all 16-29 year olds have smoked cannabis.) The majority of whom dislike it and move on.

I think you have misconstrued what Mr Brand (who I personally despise) was suggesting. Addiction isn't being re-branded as a disease, but rather it should be treated as one. Long courses of medication, attempting to reduce the symptoms, and monitoring the patients condition are all applicable to drug addicts. Thus addicts must overcome the "disease" of addiction; a difficult task.

I have never, and will never, take drugs. However I would like the assurance that If I were to experiment, I wouldn't be battered by my Father. The primary solutions include education, medical guidance, and medication.

(N.B I would take what Mr Brand says, especially regarding drugs, with a pinch of salt.)

Fear and/or respect can both work, plus you obviously rate the Eton Toff more than a lot of people do. As for Mr Brand, I think he's only seen as an important social commentator by those who claim to be "well-educated."

Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:52 pm

If I catch you doing cocaine again son ill rub your f*cking nose in it

Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:56 pm

DannyboyBluebirds wrote:

If I catch you doing cocaine again son ill rub your f*cking nose in it

:lol:

Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:59 pm

Fear and/or respect can both work, plus you obviously rate the Eton Toff more than a lot of people do. As for Mr Brand, I think he's only seen as an important social commentator by those who claim to be "well-educated."

I don't rate Mr Cameron in the slightest. What gives you that impression? I merely stated that he was well-educated.

Really? I disagree, I don't believe that anyone can truly value him as an important social-commentator. He's simply one of many ex-addicts, with an inflated ego.

Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:05 pm

OhhhGa wrote:

I don't rate Mr Cameron in the slightest. What gives you that impression? I merely stated that he was well-educated.

Really? I disagree, I don't believe that anyone can truly value him as an important social-commentator. He's simply one of many ex-addicts, with an inflated ego.

You called him "Mr Cameron" for starters. People can be well-educated but still "stupid" in the eyes of others. Someone with a mountain of qualifications might not have much in the way of common sense, for instance and deemed to be "stupid" by others.

Mr Brand (joke) was called to the inquiry today, so it would appear that he is seen as a person of certain importance by some.

Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:18 pm

You called him "Mr Cameron" for starters. People can be well-educated but still "stupid" in the eyes of others. Someone with a mountain of qualifications might not have much in the way of common sense, for instance and deemed to be "stupid" by others.

Mr Brand (joke) was called to the inquiry today, so it would appear that he is seen as a person of certain importance by some.

I didn't refer to 'Mr Cameron' in my original post. I don't regard the Prime Minister as a stupid man, I think he is in fact highly intelligent. Whether he (as I believe) is entirely out of touch with the interests of the majority is another matter. I simply wouldn't brand him stupid in the conventional sense.

That's most probably because he is in the public-eye. Whilst also being infamous for excessive drug-taking and alcohol abuse as opposed to his ability to convey a political argument.

Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:25 pm

OhhhGa wrote:

I didn't refer to 'Mr Cameron' in my original post. I don't regard the Prime Minister as a stupid man, I think he is in fact highly intelligent. Whether he (as I believe) is entirely out of touch with the interests of the majority is another matter. I simply wouldn't brand him stupid in the conventional sense.

That's most probably because he is in the public-eye. Whilst also being infamous for excessive drug-taking and alcohol abuse as opposed to his ability to convey a political argument.

Again, sounding very respectful towards him, as you did in your original post but, hey, it doesn't matter in the great scheme of things. The chances are, you don't agree with him any more than you agree with the hairy West Ham show-off - or, indeed, like or respect him. I shouldn't mock the fact that you've been brought up so well, especially as I'm quite pleased that you have.

:thumbup:

Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:27 pm

Ive taken drugs socially for years. soft drugs to hard drugs there is link but to call it a disease is a f*cking cop out.

Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:33 pm

I can see both sides of the argument
Taking illegal drugs and the effects of those drugs are self-inflicted. You dont hear very often about people being forced to take drugs (not saying that would never happen, it is proved that some criminal organistations force illegal drugs on people as a form of torture and take them to the brink of overdose). If you suffer physical health issues from your drug abuse you do only have yourself to blame. The same argument can be used for alcohol and smoking. You choose to drink you choose to smoke so you cant blame anyone else when you need a new liver or you have cancer from smoking.
The question here is about addiction and not specific to illegal drug addiction.If you have an alcohol addiction there is alot of help same with gambling addiction, sex addiction, shopping addiction and all sorts of strange things that people get addicted to. These support groups help you through your fight against addiction and recognise that there are many hurdles and you can 'fall off the wagon' and regress back into your addiction, these are accepted but if you have an addiction to alcohol, alcohol isnt illegal and you will not get into trouble with the police over it same as your shopping addiction shopping is not illegal.
The issue here is if you ask for help with an illegal drug addiction the help is there but if you regress you are commiting a criminal act because the thing you are addicted to is illegal. This can land you in prison and can do more harm to the addict than good and they are not getting the help they need to relieve themselves of their addiction punishment is not the answer. Maybe it is about time the government looked at the issues surrounding illegal drug addiction and whether treating addicts like criminals more of a hindrance than a help.
As for the criminal activity surrounding illegal drug addiction there is the same association between any other addiction. If an alcoholic cannot afford alcohol he will steal it or find money illegally to pay for their addiction the same with shopping addicts, as for sex addicts ill let you use your imagination on what criminal acts they will use to feed their addiction.
As for the argument about making illegal drugs legal, dont get confused between making something legal and the decriminalisation of a drug an argument to stop drug addiction is to wean the addict off the drug through prescriptions something that cannot be used as doctors cannot prescribe an illegal drug.

Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:34 pm

The forum needs an expert opinion on drugs and there's not a Jack in sight!

Bloody typical!

Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:38 pm

Again, sounding very respectful towards him, as you did in your original post but, hey, it doesn't matter in the great scheme of things. The chances are, you don't agree with him any more than you agree with the hairy West Ham show-off - or, indeed, like or respect him. I shouldn't mock the fact that you've been brought up so well, especially as I'm quite pleased that you have.

:thumbup:

Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:40 pm

all high as a f-ing kite somewhere. :ayatollah: :lol:

Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:01 pm

Ignorant views as per.

Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:04 pm

I think the difference between addiction and disease is most people with addictions wont take help, and deep down dont want to be helped, whilst those with a no choice in the matter disease would snap your hands off for help, and / or a cure.

I have overcome addictions both drug related and otherwise but thats because I wanted to.

Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:37 pm

I hate drugs with a passion. The damage they do to individuals and their families is shocking. Drugs leads to crime-whether it is burglary, prostitution or mugging or other violent related crimes involving weapons. The only solution is proper punishments for users, who commit crimes to feed their habits, and the scum that deal it. By proper punishment i mean decent sentences served in solitary confinement. Forget the human rights of the dealers and druggies-when you commit a serious crime you should lose all human rights except the basic right to shelter, food and water.

DRugs cost this country billions of pounds in health care (free prescriptions for smack heads), treatments, prison, police hours etc.

Druggies neglect their children who often end up in care and suffer abject misery both before care and then in care.

Russell Brand is the sort of person who would sell his gran for his own improvement.

Ban drugs and lock up the scum that deal it.