Should we abandon "three little birds"? YES
89%
Should we abandon "three little birds"? NO
11%

Total votes : 35

Should we abandon "three little birds"?

Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:53 pm

Should we abandon "three little birds"?

I hate the song, and always feel that it makes us more liable to concede a goal (and I predicted this today to friends around me as soon as the song was sung, as I feel it actually makes the players more nervy and then more liable to hang back and that usually results in us getting an equaliser scored against us - or next week as we only need a draw, a winner scored against us if we start singing it at Palace if its 0-0 with say 10 minutes to go).

However, I know others love it, so it will be interesting to see the split of views on this one.

Re: Should we abandon "three little birds"?

Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:56 pm

It was fun singing it through the Carling cup, but not now.

Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:58 pm

mr moose wrote:It was fun singing it through the Carling cup, but not now.

I'd agree with that - it seemed right for that occasion (especially given the rubbish spouted by Dougie Freedman), and I think it may even have helped in that 2nd leg of the semi-final, but now I really do think it causes problems.

Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:03 pm

Anyone who sings it should be forced to sit in the ninan stands from now on, terrible song, brings us nothing but bad luck when sang. If they start singing it at palace away we can kiss the play offs goodbye.

Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:14 pm

Die Walkure wrote:

I'd agree with that - it seemed right for that occasion (especially given the rubbish spouted by Dougie Freedman), and I think it may even have helped in that 2nd leg of the semi-final, but now I really do think it causes problems.

Exactly, I enjoyed all of the games through the Carling cup more than any of the league games this year. The people who went gave a good atmosphere even with 7K people and then blackpool and CP awesome. I agree that the chant did its best during the second leg where we were winning for penalties, as it told the team then that we had come further than we ever dreamed and what ever happened we didn't mind. But it can not beat the Dougie Freedman chant that night!

Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:18 pm

mr moose wrote:
Die Walkure wrote:

Exactly, I enjoyed all of the games through the Carling cup more than any of the league games this year. The people who went gave a good atmosphere even with 7K people and then blackpool and CP awesome. I agree that the chant did its best during the second leg where we were winning for penalties, as it told the team then that we had come further than we ever dreamed and what ever happened we didn't mind. But it can not beat the Dougie Freedman chant that night!

Yes, all the Carling Cup games I attended were great - the only one at home I missed was the Leicester one, as I couldn't get out of work that night, but all the others were probably my favourite games of the season, although Reading away was immense too :ayatollah:

I think you mean Burnley or Blackburn, not Blackpool. My favourite was Huddersfield, when we scored in injury time to take it into extra time and then won 5-3 :ayatollah:

Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:40 pm

Die Walkure wrote:Should we abandon "three little birds"?

I hate the song, and always feel that it makes us more liable to concede a goal (and I predicted this today to friends around me as soon as the song was sung, as I feel it actually makes the players more nervy and then more liable to hang back and that usually results in us getting an equaliser scored against us - or next week as we only need a draw, a winner scored against us if we start singing it at Palace if its 0-0 with say 10 minutes to go).

However, I know others love it, so it will be interesting to see the split of views on this one.

Can't beat a bit of Marley, its better than opera.

Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:47 pm

Die Walkure wrote:
mr moose wrote:
Die Walkure wrote:

Yes, all the Carling Cup games I attended were great - the only one at home I missed was the Leicester one, as I couldn't get out of work that night, but all the others were probably my favourite games of the season, although Reading away was immense too :ayatollah:

I think you mean Burnley or Blackburn, not Blackpool. My favourite was Huddersfield, when we scored in injury time to take it into extra time and then won 5-3 :ayatollah:

I meant Blackburn sorry, that was the Garry Speed game. Burnely was a bit boaring really. Yea I also missed Leicester as I was in Cyprus working. Huddersfield was awesome, I remember JR scoring for them and thinking oh shit and the stadium just started emptying, and then we scored in like the 93 minute! The roof rose more than it has for any league game.

Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:16 am

I think the reason was that there were only really loyal fans there and it meant so much to everyone in the stadium that night against Huddersfield - I remember walking away feeling a similar feeling to some of the games years ago. :ayatollah:

Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:18 am

Bluebird64 wrote:

:lol:

Ok, fair enough. that's a matter of taste, but its not so much the song I hate, but the way we now use it.

So far the overwhelming number of people who've voted all feel the same about us using it too. :ayatollah:

I reckon "The Ride of the Valkyries" would really get us going if we played that before every home game :lol:

Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:27 am

yes, its a load of bollocks,f-all to do with CITY.--------- good song but has nothing to do with us. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:55 am

We need an anthem song tho - with a couple of simple lines.
most teams have got one.

What about UB40 - dont break my heart;

You shoot me down in flames
You put me down a lot
But I'm giving you my heart .
Go on take it
Please do not to break it.

Don't break my heart , don't break me heart.....
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:07 am

The measure of a good football song is whether or not it can be sung with the same emotion long after the emotion with which you first sang it with has left you. (hope that's not too deep ;)

In this case the answer is NO! The song is too slow and too negative. Why not just go back to "I'll be there"? That song stirs us the emotions like no other IMO.

Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:11 am

yes, its a load of bollocks,f-all to do with CITY.--------- good song but has nothing to do with us.

- Bob Marley played a gig at Ninian Park in 1976. Famous for it pissing down and whispering Bob Harris saying it was the worst gig he'd ever been to! Said the ground made him feel scared. Apparently Bob M enjoyed the gig.

So I think it has got something to do with the club's history.
Also think it makes a change from all the usual chants we sing. And why have we now started singing 'super joey mason'? Surely we can think of a different song for our 2 strikers?

Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:28 am

IMO i think Joey Mason should be wearing the magic hat!

Why over complicate things with boring songs/ naff song suggestions that dont + wont catch on?

Mason is and will be magic so definitely deserves the song. Its about time it returned, every fan knows it and new fans can easily join in.

:D :ayatollah:

Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:26 pm

How about this guys...

How about, instead of moaning about what to sing or how the players are performing, we should all put a shift in and start getting behind the team. Whatever it is that's being sung, by those who ARE singing, we should sing along. Create an incredible atmosphere and drive the boys on to another Wembley final and then up to the Premiership :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:29 pm

It's better than singing nothing.

Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:34 pm

I enjoyed it at the Palace game, it was calming and sounded great. But doing it when we're winning is just cringeworthy. Every time it starts behind me in 106 when we're winning I just shout "f**k off!". Not many people sing it now though

Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:12 pm

JonCCFC wrote:It's better than singing nothing.

I can't even be sure of that Jon. At times it sounds like a funeral march!

Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:17 pm

So far on this poll there is a 90% vote against it :ayatollah:

Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:18 pm

Mastermind wrote:

So you would rather silence from the stands at every home game? Fair enough if you don't like the song but I'd rather some noise at our games :ayatollah:

Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:23 pm

I sang it at the palace game and it felt spot on. Not sure why people have kept singing it tbh

Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:34 pm

Time to bin it. it was sung sat when we were 1nil up. the rest is history. fuckin depressing song too bloody slow.bit o tecno we want butt init. ill get me white gloves out of retirement :ayatollah: :D

Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:32 pm

Definitely abandon it, the song makes us concede goals!! :D

Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:48 pm

Die Walkure wrote:
Bluebird64 wrote:

Ok, fair enough. that's a matter of taste, but its not so much the song I hate, but the way we now use it.

So far the overwhelming number of people who've voted all feel the same about us using it too. :ayatollah:

I reckon "The Ride of the Valkyries" would really get us going if we played that before every home game :lol:

It all makes sense now The Ride of the Valkyries is act 3 of Die Walkure, :lol:

Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:13 pm

Bluebird64 wrote:
Die Walkure wrote:
Bluebird64 wrote:

yes, that's right - well spotted - that would really get us going I reckon :lol:

Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:20 pm

Die Walkure wrote:
Bluebird64 wrote:
Die Walkure wrote:
Bluebird64 wrote:

yes, that's right - well spotted - that would really get us going I reckon :lol:

I quite like Wagner myself so I will have to choose the Bridal Chorus because this year we are going to be the Bride and not the Bridesmaid, :lol:

Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:36 pm

yes its shit.

Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:19 pm

Bluebird64 wrote:
Die Walkure wrote:
Bluebird64 wrote:
Die Walkure wrote:
Bluebird64 wrote:

I quite like Wagner myself so I will have to choose the Bridal Chorus because this year we are going to be the Bride and not the Bridesmaid, :lol:

I think so too :ayatollah:
This really could be our year.

On the music, you're right as well, of course, the Bridal Chorus one of the most well known pieces of music ever written and is indeed by Wagner - from the 3rd Act of "Lohengrin"

Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:06 pm

Mastermind wrote:How about this guys...

How about, instead of moaning about what to sing or how the players are performing, we should all put a shift in and start getting behind the team. Whatever it is that's being sung, by those who ARE singing, we should sing along. Create an incredible atmosphere and drive the boys on to another Wembley final and then up to the Premiership :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

JonCCFC wrote:
Mastermind wrote:

So you would rather silence from the stands at every home game? Fair enough if you don't like the song but I'd rather some noise at our games :ayatollah:

Somebody's not reading the whole thread... I wonder who that could be? :ayatollah: