Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

What will happen to Liam Lawrence

Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:02 pm

Do you think we will end up signing him once his loan is over??? Can't see him staying with Portsmouth now they are in the 1st division.

Re: What will happen to Liam Lawrence

Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:05 pm

mr moose wrote:Do you think we will end up signing him once his loan is over??? Can't see him staying with Portsmouth now they are in the 1st division.

He has improved and I think we should keep hold of him, as long as he's settled in the area and happy why not? :ayatollah:

Malky likes him from what I've read :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:06 pm

mr moose wrote:Do you think we will end up signing him once his loan is over??? Can't see him staying with Portsmouth now they are in the 1st division.

Have to lower his wages a bit, but he is starting to find a bit of form now

Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:11 pm

I do agree, we know Malkie is picky and he chose LL. I do think his wagers are a little steep at the moment, but we got him on the cheap loan wise. He does finally seem to be settling. Se scored his goal, and then had a fun game tackling the Derby team, followed by today. Loans are a tricky thing, but I can't see him staying at his home club, and Portsmouth will probably let him go cheaper than they would have normally let him go for. Saying that I wouldn't have been surprised if that was part of the original deal.

Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:12 pm

For 20 Grand a week. Hope not. There's younger and fitter player's out there, i'd rather we look at.

Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:18 pm

buckleys brewery wrote:

For 20 Grand a week. Hope not. There's younger and fitter player's out there, i'd rather we look at.

For £20k I don't think MM will have him, but we don't yet know how he bargains.

Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:33 pm

mr moose wrote:
buckleys brewery wrote:

Do you think he'd take a 10 Grand pay cut? He'll probably stay at Pompey until his contract expires.

Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:43 pm

I would love to keep him. His wages are the only problem.

Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:50 pm

buckleys brewery wrote:
mr moose wrote:
buckleys brewery wrote:

Do you think he'd take a 10 Grand pay cut? He'll probably stay at Pompey until his contract expires.

When you think about it in normal people terms its more than 10K cut! Its more like a 120k cut in an annual salary. But Pompy will not be able to pay that. What I mean is, we could strike a deal where we get him super cheep transfer wise, but the wagers change very little in a worst case setup.

Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:40 am

mr moose wrote:
buckleys brewery wrote:
mr moose wrote:
buckleys brewery wrote:

When you think about it in normal people terms its more than 10K cut! Its more like a 120k cut in an annual salary. But Pompy will not be able to pay that. What I mean is, we could strike a deal where we get him super cheep transfer wise, but the wagers change very little in a worst case setup.

hmm no its more like a 520k pay cut as from what i have read he is on 20k a week which is just over 1mil a year which means by going down to 10k a week he will take a 500k+ a year pay cut. May be a bit much to swallow or maybe he will realise that at his age maybe he is not gonna command headline grabbing trnsfer fees and wages.

Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:43 am

more like 480k pay cut

Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:10 am

We need better

Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:29 am

Spoke with both last night - MM wants to keep LL and LL wants to stay :D

Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:38 am

Fusilier23 wrote:Spoke with both last night - MM wants to keep LL and LL wants to stay :D

hes a good player..you can see hes a leader on the pitch..shouting all the time..20k a week is a gamble if they do pay that..hope its half though

Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:26 am

i would imagine a deal was pretty much set up when we took him with an option if both parties were ok with it he,ll sign end of season.

Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:19 am

Depends what division we are in :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:05 pm

Think it depends whether any low premiership clubs are interested in him. If not then he is not going to get more than 8-10k per week anywhere else so may aswell take it from us or retire. If we had the proper wide men we are desperate for then I'm not sure how many opportunities he would get. He would have competition from whitts, Gunnarson, cowie, mcphail, Ralls and kiss. Seven players competing for two or three spots in the central midfield.

Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:25 pm

Lawrence is not worth 20k a week and is getting old, we need to spend that money on new blood like Mason that can be the core of our team.

The owners are prepared to spend those sorts of wages on established good quality players but, sorry Lawrence does not fill that criteria for us going forward.

It looks like we will lose Whitts this summer if we fail to gain promotion so there will be a lot of incoming players for us be it in the Championship or the Premiership.

Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:34 pm

I thought Lawrence was excellent yesterday.

We need some experience in the side and I won't be disappointed if he signs permenantly.

as for the wages, thats for the board to sort out.

Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:01 pm

Assuming we are still in the Championship next season we should definitely sign him, has bags of experience, is good on the ball and an excellent crosser. :ayatollah:

Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:26 pm

Hope he stays with CCFC :ayatollah:

Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:44 pm

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Li ... 94268.html