Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

IF A BIG BID CAME IN FOR WHITTS?

Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:21 pm

If over the summer, a big bid as in £3m - £5m for whittingham came in - would you sell him in the hope of finding a replacement for next season?

This is not a reaction to his pretty poor performance today, just curious to see what people see as real money coming in, that could strengthen the team? Or would selling Whitts be a big mistake?

Personally I rate Whitts very highly myself even though he might be having a bit of a sticky patch at the moment, I wouldn't want to lose him - but if a silly £5m offer came in I'd think it'd be in the interest of the club to seriously consider it!

Re: IF A BIG BID CAME IN FOR WHITTS?

Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:28 pm

No way

Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:31 pm

No
malky made it clear that his team would be built around peter wittingham and I dont think thats going to change. Peter was superb for the first half of the season and we need someone like him to challenge for promotion if its not achieved this season.
In my opinion hes been in desperate need of a rest for a few weeks now but our small squad has not allowed malky to do this.

Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:33 pm

Let him go…..not consistent enough

Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:01 pm

Blazing Saddles wrote:Let him go…..not consistent enough

:lol:

We'd be mad to sell him!

Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:04 pm

No chance. Never get rid of your best players unless you have to, it's always a mistake.

Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:06 pm

Merlin wrote:If over the summer, a big bid as in £3m - £5m for whittingham came in - would you sell him in the hope of finding a replacement for next season?

This is not a reaction to his pretty poor performance today, just curious to see what people see as real money coming in, that could strengthen the team? Or would selling Whitts be a big mistake?

Personally I rate Whitts very highly myself even though he might be having a bit of a sticky patch at the moment, I wouldn't want to lose him - but if a silly £5m offer came in I'd think it'd be in the interest of the club to seriously consider it!

I'd sell Whitts and Buy Snodgrass.

Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:39 pm

Whitts will not want to go as he will want to play for a Premiership side.

Which is exactly where we will be once weve beaten West Ham and Birmingham in the Play Offs!

Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:47 pm

I am a great admirer of Whitts, but think the team lacks balance, unless we can sign two out and out wingers with pace to burn.
then yes i would sacrifice him for 5m

Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:57 pm

I,d sell him...needs a fresh start..to much in the comfort zone at present,either that or get someone else in to keep whitts on his toes..at present theres no one good enough to replace him

Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:48 pm

We did play 4-4-2/4-4-1-1 today, with Whitts out wide. When was the last time he played the majority of a game there?

Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:56 pm

Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:We did play 4-4-2/4-4-1-1 today, with Whitts out wide. When was the last time he played the majority of a game there?

Never mind about that. When is the last time he made a tackle? I think we play him even when he is not on form because we have no alternatives. Malky has built the team around him and the whole team suffers when he is not playing well. If we sold Whitts then we could maybe buy 2 decent wingers but we would have to change our style of play.

Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:04 pm

Bluebird64 wrote:
Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:We did play 4-4-2/4-4-1-1 today, with Whitts out wide. When was the last time he played the majority of a game there?

Never mind about that. When is the last time he made a tackle? I think we play him even when he is not on form because we have no alternatives. Malky has built the team around him and the whole team suffers when he is not playing well. If we sold Whitts then we could maybe buy 2 decent wingers but we would have to change our style of play.

Change our style of play - YES PLEASE. All insomniacs should head down to the CCS, it's a yawnfest.

Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:08 pm

I'm torn on the issue - I wouldn't want to lose him, but if we could get 5 million ....hmmmmmmm

Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:20 am

Die Walkure wrote:I'm torn on the issue - I wouldn't want to lose him, but if we could get 5 million ....hmmmmmmm

would the malaysians use the 5mill though?

Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:11 am

Clash wrote:
Die Walkure wrote:I'm torn on the issue - I wouldn't want to lose him, but if we could get 5 million ....hmmmmmmm

would the malaysians use the 5mill though?

We wouldn't tho as RR gets it

Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:55 am

His form over the past two months has been dreadful. Every deadball he takes is rubbish! He's starting to look like he just can't be bothered and that he knows he's going.

I would seriously consider the bid should it arrive.

Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:30 am

this seems to come up at the end of most seasons, then whitts starts the next one with a bang..

he has still scored 12 goals this yr and many assists, despite looking off form lately, i would like to keep whitts and think he is still a very important player for the team..

whitts has not had a rest all season, and you can tell to be honest.. probably the best thing that could have happened to cowie also was a slight injury, just to give him a rest too.. he will be needed should we be able to secure a play off place.

Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:42 am

There was a similar topic during last summer and I stupidly said at the time that I would accept a big bid for him.

I thought his high goal scoring season was a one off. I am glad he's proven me wrong...selling this one our stars wouldnt indicate a step forward. Also who would we be able to get to replace him with his quality.

Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:30 am

Brian McDermott has made Whitts his no1 target (accordIng to some tabloids) and is ready to bid around £4m for the Left Footer.

Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:39 pm

Some of our fans' stupidity beggars belief at times :shock:

Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:14 pm

Here we go again :roll:
I would NOT sell Whitts at any price, yes he has been off form for a few weeks now but he is in need of a rest IMO and we do not have anyone that can replace him. It's a good thing actually that he is off-form as it keeps the vultures away :D

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:20 pm

tenerife_blu wrote:Here we go again :roll:
I would NOT sell Whitts at any price, yes he has been off form for a few weeks now but he is in need of a rest IMO and we do not have anyone that can replace him. It's a good thing actually that he is off-form as it keeps the vultures away :D

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

£100m???