Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

CAN IT GET ANY BETTER ?

Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:59 pm

This season has been incredible so far and it could get a whole lot better.

When Malky came to the club, we all know the squad he had and what work had to be done to just make us competitive in this league.

We have been more than just competitive, we should become a play off team, I don't mind accepting I got my prediction wrong when I thought we would finish 10th.

The Carling Cup Final was special despite the ending, I will never forget the feeling when Mason scored and the hysteria and euphoria when Turner equalised.

But despite these special moments there is still a lot more that could happen, we could have another Wembley appearance and there are talks ongoing to remove the Langston and PMG debts this summer.

I hope we can finish in 4th position this season, despite how much I rated Dave Jones, I didn't think his pre season comments that Malky would have to better his achievements were necessary.

Could the dream of the Premier League become a reality this season and more importantly our historic debt be once and for all gone forever, let's hope so and look forward to a fantastic summer of rebuilding but this time in the Premier League.

Onwards and upwards :ayatollah:

Re: CAN IT GET ANY BETTER ?

Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:08 pm

strange season for me,i was happy we got rid of dave jones and to be honest didnt have much of a clue about malky, so he would nt have been my choice ,not even in my top ten, but hes made us into a team whos hard to beat, but again the style of football he likes his team to play aint very entertaining to watch,but credit where its due he got us to a cup final and on the brink of reaching the play offs in his first season so it is hard to moan really :ayatollah:

Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:14 pm

caerblue wrote:strange season for me,i was happy we got rid of dave jones and to be honest didnt have much of a clue about malky, so he would nt have been my choice ,not even in my top ten, but hes made us into a team whos hard to beat, but again the style of football he likes his team to play aint very entertaining to watch,but credit where its due he got us to a cup final and on the brink of reaching the play offs in his first season so it is hard to moan really :ayatollah:

The style of play is an interesting comment, as early season I was enjoying the football being played but after the Reading home game at he turn of the year, the football has been mediocre for much of the time but when it has really mattered Malky has been able to get the results needed and who cares about performance now when results are all that matters.
:ayatollah:

Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:18 pm

carlccfc wrote:
caerblue wrote:strange season for me,i was happy we got rid of dave jones and to be honest didnt have much of a clue about malky, so he would nt have been my choice ,not even in my top ten, but hes made us into a team whos hard to beat, but again the style of football he likes his team to play aint very entertaining to watch,but credit where its due he got us to a cup final and on the brink of reaching the play offs in his first season so it is hard to moan really :ayatollah:

The style of play is an interesting comment, as early season I was enjoying the football being played but after the Reading home game at he turn of the year, the football has been mediocre for much of the time but when it has really mattered Malky has been able to get the results needed and who cares about performance now when results are all that matters.

agreed at this time of year performances go out of the window and its points that matter but answer me honestly is the type of football he plays the way youd like city to play???????????

Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:19 pm

caerblue wrote:
carlccfc wrote:

agreed at this time of year performances go out of the window and its points that matter but answer me honestly is the type of football he plays the way youd like city to play???????????

No it is not.

Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:20 pm

My prediction was 10th-8th. Which I thought was fairly reasonable.
But this season has been literally a rollercoaster of emothions.
From that opening day at West Ham, to a pretty dreadful early october. A 13 game unbeaten run, just outside the top 2. Being there for that cup semi final, then watching our form go to shit for a few weeks. Then the best and proudest day of my life so far at Wembley. That loss to West Ham then started to put nails in a coffin, but we still picked up a few points over the next few games (draws unfortunately). After that Coventry game I thought our season was over, but a win at Boro and some great recent form has brought our hopes and dreams back on. And I feel the best is still to come.

What an amazing season it's been where we have taken great steps of the field in terms of togetherness and support. Hopefully we are only seeing this boring brand of football because Malky doesn't have the players he would have wanted. Maybe next season when he's had more time, we will see some more attractive football, like we saw in our game against Bristol back in August
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:24 pm

CantonJack wrote:My prediction was 10th-8th. Which I thought was fairly reasonable.
From that opening day at West Ham, to a pretty dreadful early october. A 13 game unbeaten run, just outside the top 2. Being there for that cup semi final, then watching our form go to shit for a few weeks. Then the best and proudest day of my life so far at Wembley. That loss to West Ham then started to put nails in a coffin, but we still picked up a few points over the next few games (draws unfortunately). After that Coventry game I thought our season was over, but a win at Boro and some great recent form has brought our hopes and dreams back on. And I feel the best is still to come.

What an amazing season it's been where we have taken great steps of the field in terms of togetherness and support. Hopefully we are only seeing this boring brand of football because Malky doesn't have the players he would have wanted. Maybe next season when he's had more time, we will see some more attractive football, like we saw in our game against Bristol back in August

This is the reason I think we have seen the same players week in week out, I believe Malky will get rid of 7 players at least this summer and replace them with better and then we will see more squad rotation and a different formation :ayatollah:

Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:39 pm

Once again we approach we the end of the season on the brink of doing something massive. I predicted playoffs at the start of the season so I can't say I'm too surprised that we stand on the cusp of reaching them again. Yes we've been poor at times, but that has been most of the division as well so you take it. At times the style of football has been poor, but if it gets results then I honestly don't care. no point in playing pretty football if it doesn't get you anywhere. At times we we palyed some really good stuff andcame away with draws then played poorly and took three point hauls. That's just football.

If we can negotiate into the play offs then bring it on. As it stands it looks like West Ham who I believe have the most pressure on them to go up from the 4 sides in the spots just now. I wouldn't care who we get, it's 2 games, home & away and we all know what can happen.

Lets batter Leeds on Saturday and take it from there.

Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:47 pm

After the pathetic end to last season I wanted to never ever watch us play again. I soon got over my childish strop when the club appointed Malky as manager. From day 1 the man has been a breath of fresh air. He got rid of dead wood behind the scenes and brought in some good people. New signings came and all have brought something to the team whilst existing players have improved (Hudson, whitts and marshall) through new coaching. Malky has brought fans closer together especially in some of the dark times (Mikey Dye, Gary Speed and Eddie MayIRIPY. Every game that I have seen this season the players have given their all even if they haven't played well. At the end of a game the fans are applauded by the players-how many times did that happen under DJ?

Whether we make the play offs or not (7th is still possible-we're CCFC after all!) And whether we make premier league or not for me this has been one of best seasons of supporting CCFC.

The memories of Wembley will live with me forever.

Thanks Malky for a great season.

Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:51 pm

carl do you think that the deal to pay off langstone and pgm will go ahead and will
the money go up if we go up???
or has this already been sorted???

Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:58 am

I'm just taking it one game at a time and what we be will be .

Malky done a good job and better than I really expected and that's been part of the trouble - we were so good last year in wining, scoring and playing football , that our form and style since Christmas has been a massive come down and bitter disappointment , with a lot of the issues that Jones old sides used to suffer from ..Peaking too early, hoofing the ball up in the air, can't pass it, can't defend leads , no plan B ECT.

All I will say is I hope Malky starts to bring in (or bring back) a more attacking style and get some Strikers in and pace on the wings , what ever happens this season

At the end of a game the fans are applauded by the players-how many times did that happen under DJ?

Lots actually , but started to change after players got a shit load of abuse from the fans at Peterborough in 2009 . I was there and the venom and sheer hatred directed at the players made them run back into the dressing room .

Malky has brought fans closer together especially in some of the dark times (Mikey Dye, Gary Speed and Eddie MayIRIPY

That's more to do with the Club and fans coming together, which always tends to happen when a loved fan or player sadly dies , more or less every Club and fans played great tribute's to Garry Speed for example and I was especially impressed with how the Newcastle Club and fans marked their respect , That's not thanks to managers its the Club and fans .

New signings came and all have brought something to the team whilst existing players have improved (Hudson, whitts and marshall) through new coaching

Sorry to me Marshall and Whiit's were class under Jones and its not like Whitt's form has been suspect for periods this season. I've never got the Hunson hate myself, he's been playing great the last couple of seasons and its not like Malky hasn't bought some duffs or got the best out of all his players ... Earine is a joke, Rudy Gestede is just Jay Bothroyd (in terms of being lazy and diving) but with out the sheer class and finishing, Kevin McNaughton is in the worst form I can ever remember and our passing game has totally gone down hill since Christmas.

It's a shame Malky never had a chance to work with Jay, Chop's or Burke and what he could have done with them .

Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:28 am

carlccfc wrote:
CantonJack wrote:My prediction was 10th-8th. Which I thought was fairly reasonable.

This is the reason I think we have seen the same players week in week out, I believe Malky will get rid of 7 players at least this summer and replace them with better and then we will see more squad rotation and a different formation :ayatollah:

Spot on its a work in progress at the moment and to be on the brink of a play off place at the beginning of a rebuilding process speaks volmes for Malky and his staff. At the moment we are winning ugly but we are winning again. I am sure the pretty football will come sooner or later. Roll on Saturday!!! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:24 am

carlccfc wrote:This season has been incredible so far and it could get a whole lot better.

When Malky came to the club, we all know the squad he had and what work had to be done to just make us competitive in this league.

We have been more than just competitive, we should become a play off team, I don't mind accepting I got my prediction wrong when I thought we would finish 10th.

The Carling Cup Final was special despite the ending, I will never forget the feeling when Mason scored and the hysteria and euphoria when Turner equalised.

But despite these special moments there is still a lot more that could happen, we could have another Wembley appearance and there are talks ongoing to remove the Langston and PMG debts this summer.

I hope we can finish in 4th position this season, despite how much I rated Dave Jones, I didn't think his pre season comments that Malky would have to better his achievements were necessary.

Could the dream of the Premier League become a reality this season and more importantly our historic debt be once and for all gone forever, let's hope so and look forward to a fantastic summer of rebuilding but this time in the Premier League.

This emphasizes the commonly used term that money CANNOT buy success. We spent very little in the summer and nothing in January, and Malky has provided us with a Carling Cup final (in which we were very unlucky to lose) and on the brink of ANOTHER play off appearance. In my eyes, that is an acheivement not to be sniffed at and Malky has clearly shown us a whole different style of playing football, which can only be seen as a positive point!

A good manager who wants the best from his players in every game is the way forward, regardless of if they spend £0 or £100m.

If we get to the Premier League this season, which I think we will provided we hold our nerve and show a CC Final performance, then MM should be given the freedom of the City! :ayatollah:

Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:26 am

trueblue1927 wrote:
carlccfc wrote:This season has been incredible so far and it could get a whole lot better.

This emphasizes the commonly used term that money CANNOT buy success. We spent very little in the summer and nothing in January, and Malky has provided us with a Carling Cup final (in which we were very unlucky to lose) and on the brink of ANOTHER play off appearance. In my eyes, that is an acheivement not to be sniffed at and Malky has clearly shown us a whole different style of playing football, which can only be seen as a positive point!

A good manager who wants the best from his players in every game is the way forward, regardless of if they spend £0 or £100m.

If we get to the Premier League this season, which I think we will provided we hold our nerve and show a CC Final performance, then MM should be given the freedom of the City! :ayatollah:

UM lets get there first ...............MM is still learning

Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:10 pm

caerblue wrote:
carlccfc wrote:

Dont really think its the way Malky wants to see us play.However he seems to have found a formula to make us very competetive and hard to beat,using the personel we have available.....good place to start I say.Quite obvious he wants more pace and quality in the team,judging by the type of players we been linked with.Some things just take a little time.

Patience and evolving is the way forward for him I think. And I for one am certainly think its the right way.