Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

goal-line technology

Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:18 pm

The Football Association has stressed its desire to see goal-line technology introduced as soon as possible following Chelsea's 'ghost goal' against Tottenham in the FA Cup semi-final at Wembley.

FIFA are to start final tests on two goal-line technology systems later this month and a meeting on the International FA Board (IFAB) on July 2 will decide whether to give the green light to either or both systems.

The FA, who have one of the eight votes on IFAB, have supported goal-line technology for years and are hopeful it will be brought in at July's meeting. ( time to get this up and running.) :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: CCFC

Re: goal-line technology

Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:26 pm

taffy123 wrote:The Football Association has stressed its desire to see goal-line technology introduced as soon as possible following Chelsea's 'ghost goal' against Tottenham in the FA Cup semi-final at Wembley.

FIFA are to start final tests on two goal-line technology systems later this month and a meeting on the International FA Board (IFAB) on July 2 will decide whether to give the green light to either or both systems.

The FA, who have one of the eight votes on IFAB, have supported goal-line technology for years and are hopeful it will be brought in at July's meeting. ( time to get this up and running.) :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: CCFC

A good point was brought up on Talksport earlier today, when a caller asked "What will happen when a ref stops the game, after he thinks the ball may have crossed the line, but subsequently proven it did not?"
Do the ref give a drop-ball on the goal-line? Will it be a corner to the attacking side?

Valid points I reckon. :?:

Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:27 pm

My cheaper alternative, would be to get fitter, better refs involved and to outlaw cheating, such as the claim by a Chelsea player that it was over the line when it clearly wasn't. I'm still not convinced it would solve all the problems that "top class" football has at the moment.

Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:56 pm

This could very well be the beginning of the end.

It'll start with goal line, then it will quickly escalate to was it a pen?, then was it off side? then was that tackle a red card?.....and the ref's who are fecking dire at the best of times lately, will turn in to little rabbits like they are now in rugby & cricket, & refer EVERYTHING!

The powers that be will need to come up with some clear directives from day 1 & not go back on their word a few months later as I can see technology in football slowly destroy the game. I hope I'm wrong as I can't see it NOT coming in soon.

Personally I would go back to old school refereeing (I'm talking 20 years ago+) where the officials were just left to use their own common sense and not be afraid to call something in case they were "marked down" by some jobs worth in the stands. Let them have banter with the players and slowly rebuild the respect between player & official. PEOPLE WILL ALWAYS MAKE MISTAKES, but more mistakes are made when they know there is someone constantly watching their every move, and effectively treading on egg shells.

Also retrospectively nail the cheats in the game. If you can retrospectively ban a player or rescind bookings etc, then hit the divers and cheats with huge bans from day 1 retrospectively!! Don't be afraid to give them a 4 game ban. And if they do it again..double it. etc.. The managers will soon clamp down on the players when they start costing their teams points. Get a team of respected recent ex-players to view situations after weekend games and let them advise the FA what course of action should apply to individuals as they know how the game is played.

And while I'm on my soap box, please for the love of god start giving penalties for shirt pulling in the area at set pieces. All it takes is one ref to give a couple penalties in a game, AND NOT GET MARKED DOWN FOR IT, then other referees will soon follow suit. The shirt pulling will stop within a couple of months of fear of costing their team points.

Sorry for the long winded answer but it's something that has annoyed me for a few years...JUST LET REFEREES REF A GAME WITHOUT THEM FEARING ANYTHING.
:ayatollah:

Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:08 pm

Superb post by BobBankLoyalist.

:thumbup:

Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:17 pm

Nedd Glas wrote:Superb post by BobBankLoyalist.

:thumbup:

Cheers fella! I have my moments on times!! :lol:

Roll on Derby tomorrow, 1 nil, 10, nil or 5-4 I couldn't give a shit as long as its 3 points.

I also have a funny feeling 'Boro won't have it that easy against Donny tomorrow. Strange I know seeing as though they are already relegated & Boro should pummel them, but they struggle at home all season & let's be honest the pressure is as as much on them as it is off Donny. They can just go out & play with no fear. So...get on Boro to win 5-0!!! :lol:

Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:03 am

I deal with technology on a day to day basis and what you can rely on is the fact the technology can be very unreliable at times, for no apparent reason.

Everyone in this debate thinks that you introduce this goal line gadget and that will be the end of all bad decisions. In reality I can guarantee that the gadget put inside the ball will fail on the odd occasion. So what will happen then? Everyone in the ground will see the ball cross the line but no goal will be given because "the computer says no".

I don't know why they just don't have a bloke sat on the corner flag like they did in tennis. When the ball crosses the line he raises his arm, when it doesn't he shakes his head. Posh clubs could have a camera with someone monitoring it. When it crosses just shout in the refs ear via his mic.

Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:32 am

This Goal Line technology is just a big fuss about nothing , given how every few decisions are that wrong throught the whole season in the hole of the football league .

I much rather action taken on players diving and this bullshit offside rule that we have now .