Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Match report Barnsley v Cardiff 14 April 2012

Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:42 pm

Those who don’t know but Barnsley football ground is situated within an old terraced house estate. Obviously built for the mining community. Lately a sports leisure centre has been built very close to it. It’s here in this complex that the away fans are gathered. Between the ground and the complex is a grassed area that is used for away parking on match days. This parking area is on a decline and the away fans have to walk down it to get to the ground. If you have to make this walk you would feel like you were in an episode of Last of the Summer Wine.
I parked my car on this grass verge and made my way to the complex where I met Tenerife Blu. After a while we were joined by Jamie who was the leader of the forum bus for the game, stepping in the shoes of the famous fans leader. As we sat around the table discussing everything Cardiff like you do the conversation was interrupted by a young girl wearing a Cardiff top and a very short skirt. I mean a very short skirt. We all agreed they did not make them like that in our days.
So it was off to the game and Barnsley lived up to all expectations. The ground is old but gave great views of the area. You felt the atmosphere was going to be very dull for the game. The feeling amongst everyone was lets get the 3 points and get out of here. There were around 500 Cardiff fans within a confined of the 5,000 capacity away section. It made for a dungeon league game sequel.
The game started much to the relief of us all and Cardiff took the initiative. They attacked the goal to the opposite end of where the away supporters were. For the first 10 minutes all the action was up the other end. The ball zipped across the home area but their keeper had nothing to do.
Eventually the home side started to get into the game thanks to some short arsed blond midfielder who actually was quite a busy bee. They also had a rarer big black guy up front who obviously was their target man. Every attacked involved him but the service he received was very poor.
Barnsley did not once trouble Marshall in goal and the game reverted to both teams trying to build their play from the backs. Most build ups ended with the ball being passed back to the respective keeper. This sort of play was being reflected amongst the supporters who struggled to get an atmosphere going.
Cardiff created the best chance of the half on 36 minutes when Miller was put through only to see his snapped shot blocked. However the deflection fell to Gunnarson who volleyed from 18 yards to only see his effort saved.
Just before half time Cardiff were awarded a free kick just outside the Barnsley area. Every one of us wished for a Whittingham special but like most of his play in the half we were left disappointed as his shot went wide.
The half was brought to an end much to the relief of all supporters.
The second half started lively for Cardiff when Miller put Mason through. The youngster took one touch too many leaving himself a tight angle with the keeper to beat. His effort was weak and the keeper had no trouble collecting.
Barnsley after this scare had their best chance of the game. The busy body blonde took control of midfield and started to provide some service for their black target man. One such move seeing a cross come into the Cardiff area for the black to head over the bar as he stretched to reach the cross.
Barnsley enjoyed the possession during this period and had Cardiff on the back foot. Gunnarson and Taylor were outstanding with the left back making some decisive tackles. Due to their efforts Marshall did not have to make one save.
Cardiff started to get back into the game after the hour mark with the introduction of McPhail for Cowie. With MacNaughton overlapping down the right and Taylor on the left Cardiff were getting closer to that goal but were not testing the home keeper out. The home side looked steady in defence but were then opened up by a bit of quality.
Starting from the right Cardiff put several passes together which opened up the Barnsley defence down the left. Taylor overlapping sent a delightful cross to the far side of the 6 yard area. Lawrence times his run perfectly ghosting in from the back and headed the ball back across the area and into the net leaving the home keeper stranded.
Us away fans went delirious and we were all conceding to the fact we were not going to score. However we soon came back down knowing what had happened in previous games. Sure enough the game opened with the home side trying to get back into the game. However this time things turned out different.
Playing 2 up front, Miller and Mason, made Cardiff look threatening on the break. Instead of the playing too deep to defend a lead Cardiff looked like they could snatch another goal if the home side attack broke down. Barnsley struggled to cope with this and basically got nowhere.
Turned and Hudson had the measure of Barnsley and look very comfortable. Cardiff made 2 late substitutions, Blake for Gunnarson, Earnshaw for Miller, and both made the difference to see the game out more comfortable than it looked.

Re: Match report Barnsley v Cardiff 14 April 2012

Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:22 am

Thanks mate, a lovely portrayal of the scene. I can almost hear a brass band playing on the grass... :ayatollah:

Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:24 am

Great report, :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Any pics of the slope or the ground, or more importantly the Cardiff top in a very short skirt.

Is that heaven?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:51 am

Cheers Ian, much appreciated as I am away. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:53 am

Bakedalasker wrote:Those who don’t know but Barnsley football ground is situated within an old terraced house estate. Obviously built for the mining community. Lately a sports leisure centre has been built very close to it. It’s here in this complex that the away fans are gathered. Between the ground and the complex is a grassed area that is used for away parking on match days. This parking area is on a decline and the away fans have to walk down it to get to the ground. If you have to make this walk you would feel like you were in an episode of Last of the Summer Wine.
I parked my car on this grass verge and made my way to the complex where I met Tenerife Blu. After a while we were joined by Jamie who was the leader of the forum bus for the game, stepping in the shoes of the famous fans leader. As we sat around the table discussing everything Cardiff like you do the conversation was interrupted by a young girl wearing a Cardiff top and a very short skirt. I mean a very short skirt. We all agreed they did not make them like that in our days.
So it was off to the game and Barnsley lived up to all expectations. The ground is old but gave great views of the area. You felt the atmosphere was going to be very dull for the game. The feeling amongst everyone was lets get the 3 points and get out of here. There were around 500 Cardiff fans within a confined of the 5,000 capacity away section. It made for a dungeon league game sequel.
The game started much to the relief of us all and Cardiff took the initiative. They attacked the goal to the opposite end of where the away supporters were. For the first 10 minutes all the action was up the other end. The ball zipped across the home area but their keeper had nothing to do.
Eventually the home side started to get into the game thanks to some short arsed blond midfielder who actually was quite a busy bee. They also had a rarer big black guy up front who obviously was their target man. Every attacked involved him but the service he received was very poor.
Barnsley did not once trouble Marshall in goal and the game reverted to both teams trying to build their play from the backs. Most build ups ended with the ball being passed back to the respective keeper. This sort of play was being reflected amongst the supporters who struggled to get an atmosphere going.
Cardiff created the best chance of the half on 36 minutes when Miller was put through only to see his snapped shot blocked. However the deflection fell to Gunnarson who volleyed from 18 yards to only see his effort saved.
Just before half time Cardiff were awarded a free kick just outside the Barnsley area. Every one of us wished for a Whittingham special but like most of his play in the half we were left disappointed as his shot went wide.
The half was brought to an end much to the relief of all supporters.
The second half started lively for Cardiff when Miller put Mason through. The youngster took one touch too many leaving himself a tight angle with the keeper to beat. His effort was weak and the keeper had no trouble collecting.
Barnsley after this scare had their best chance of the game. The busy body blonde took control of midfield and started to provide some service for their black target man. One such move seeing a cross come into the Cardiff area for the black to head over the bar as he stretched to reach the cross.
Barnsley enjoyed the possession during this period and had Cardiff on the back foot. Gunnarson and Taylor were outstanding with the left back making some decisive tackles. Due to their efforts Marshall did not have to make one save.
Cardiff started to get back into the game after the hour mark with the introduction of McPhail for Cowie. With MacNaughton overlapping down the right and Taylor on the left Cardiff were getting closer to that goal but were not testing the home keeper out. The home side looked steady in defence but were then opened up by a bit of quality.
Starting from the right Cardiff put several passes together which opened up the Barnsley defence down the left. Taylor overlapping sent a delightful cross to the far side of the 6 yard area. Lawrence times his run perfectly ghosting in from the back and headed the ball back across the area and into the net leaving the home keeper stranded.
Us away fans went delirious and we were all conceding to the fact we were not going to score. However we soon came back down knowing what had happened in previous games. Sure enough the game opened with the home side trying to get back into the game. However this time things turned out different.
Playing 2 up front, Miller and Mason, made Cardiff look threatening on the break. Instead of the playing too deep to defend a lead Cardiff looked like they could snatch another goal if the home side attack broke down. Barnsley struggled to cope with this and basically got nowhere.
Turned and Hudson had the measure of Barnsley and look very comfortable. Cardiff made 2 late substitutions, Blake for Gunnarson, Earnshaw for Miller, and both made the difference to see the game out more comfortable than it looked.

I remember going there back in the mid eighties. A load of us went into the main stand, we had a bit of banter with their fans during the game, but nothing serious. After the game we were walked up the grassy incline, you mention, and all hell broke lose, both sets of fans just got at each other and then we were charged by police on horse back. Crazy times.

Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:30 pm

LutonBluebird wrote:Great report, :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Any pics of the slope or the ground, or more importantly the Cardiff top in a very short skirt.

Is that heaven?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually yes I do have a pic of her. When I got home and went straight onto Facebook she was there on my wall. She is a friend of a friend and was tagged. Anyone interested in her start learning Russian. :ayatollah:

Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:31 pm

buckleys brewery wrote:I remember going there back in the mid eighties. A load of us went into the main stand, we had a bit of banter with their fans during the game, but nothing serious. After the game we were walked up the grassy incline, you mention, and all hell broke lose, both sets of fans just got at each other and then we were charged by police on horse back. Crazy times.

Walking to the ground down that grassy decline you can well imagine that. :lol:

Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:04 pm

spot on except i think earnie came on for mason not miller :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:10 pm

troobloo3339 wrote:spot on except i think earnie came on for mason not miller :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Your right. thought Earnie was awesome for those 5 minutes. loved the way he knocked that big fella of the ball just before FT.

Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:28 pm

wish hed gone through on goal in the dying seconds instead of playing the clock he turned the centre back and left him for dead he could be a big player for us in the last few games as could blake and harris as these are fresh and not tired out :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:04 pm

My sweet and short match report = Wank

Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:23 pm

keanoswinklepickers wrote:My sweet and short match report = Wank

There was not much to report about regarding the match.

Taking that fact I take it you are still not impressed.