Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Your favourite memory's of Eddie may?

Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:59 pm

The man was a legend. Was the manager when I started watching Cardiff city!

Used to cut the vouchers out of the echo as a junior bluebird to go and watch Eddie and the team play with guts and passion!!

Eddie mays barmy army!!!

:ayatollah:

Re: Your favourite memory's of Eddie may?

Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:01 pm

Early 90s, had a few drinks with Eddie and Marlene in the Philharmonic on St Mary Street after we'd beaten Swansea 1-0 at the Vetch. Jason Perry, Carl Dale, Chris Pike (the goalscorer that night), Paul Millar and various other players were there as well. Great night and showed the togetherness of that team and their closeness to the fans. A great manager and a truly good man.

Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:13 pm

There was a class story about him in Phil Stant's autobiography. Said all the players were scared of Eddie and would try and avoid his half time bollockings. Gavin Ward made a mistake one match and Eddie started shouting at him at half time and GW stood up to confront him. Eddie simply said "Wardy sit your arse down or I will put you down." GW sat down. Stantona was a war hero so for him to be scared of Eddie says a lot.

Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:15 pm

Nedd Glas wrote:Early 90s, had a few drinks with Eddie and Marlene in the Philharmonic on St Mary Street after we'd beaten Swansea 1-0 at the Vetch. Jason Perry, Carl Dale, Chris Pike (the goalscorer that night), Paul Millar and various other players were there as well. Great night and showed the togetherness of that team and their closeness to the fans. A great manager and a truly good man.

i agree in those days fans players and manager were as one that what cardiff city used to be about :ayatollah:
edde on the pitch after wrexham away is my fav memory

Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:16 pm

Canton stand baz wrote:The man was a legend. Was the manager when I started watching Cardiff city!

Used to cut the vouchers out of the echo as a junior bluebird to go and watch Eddie and the team play with guts and passion!!

Eddie mays barmy army!!!

God, that brought back some memories then - the bit about cutting vouchers out of the Echo. I used to do that to take my son to home games. :ayatollah:

Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:23 pm

Days of heaven courtesy of Eddie may and his barmy army!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk1UrCx3 ... ata_player

Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:23 pm

always loved this interview after the wrexham game 1993

great times :ayatollah:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2X7U0H-pjs

Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:24 pm

Winning the Welsh cup at Wrexham….won the first leg 2-0, only 1000 went to Wrexham for the second leg which we lost 1-0 but the 1000 of us singing and dancing to 'EDDIE MAYS BARMY ARMY' was absolutely priceless and sounded more like 10,000. He gave us a team to be really proud of did Eddie May. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:25 pm

Winning the Welsh cup at Wrexham….won the first leg 2-0, only 1000 went to Wrexham for the second leg which we lost 1-0 but the 1000 of us singing and dancing to 'EDDIE MAYS BARMY ARMY' was absolutely priceless and sounded more like 10,000. He gave us a team to be really proud of did Eddie May. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:28 pm

Blazing Saddles wrote:Winning the Welsh cup at Wrexham….won the first leg 2-0, only 1000 went to Wrexham for the second leg which we lost 1-0 but the 1000 of us singing and dancing to 'EDDIE MAYS BARMY ARMY' was absolutely priceless and sounded more like 10,000. He gave us a team to be really proud of did Eddie May. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

It's been hard for any manager since Eddie as we were always batting off a very high base!! If that makes sense??

Never have we praised a manager like Eddie! Not in my time any way!!!

We need to do something big for this and if I know Cardiff fans im sure we will!

Team talk sorted for Tuesday I think

Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:50 pm

Scunthorpe away 93 was one of THE great City moments of the past 30 years

Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:09 pm

Remember banging the back of the dugout at ninian when i was a kid shouting for eddie. He turned around and spoke to us. What a gent :ayatollah:

Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:11 am

Vs the jacks he always showed passion when we won remember when we won 1-0 at the vetch

Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:13 am

He used to drink down cathedral rd when he managed the city. Always happy to chat about football. I remember one night i almost knocked his drink over( think it was a gin & tonic) and he just laughed( thank f**k). A colossal man in more ways than one. R.I.P. Eddie.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:22 am

Blazing Saddles wrote:Winning the Welsh cup at Wrexham….won the first leg 2-0, only 1000 went to Wrexham for the second leg which we lost 1-0 but the 1000 of us singing and dancing to 'EDDIE MAYS BARMY ARMY' was absolutely priceless and sounded more like 10,000. He gave us a team to be really proud of did Eddie May. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

only a 1000 went for the second leg was because if i remember rightly we took about 4000 up there 4 days before in the league.and yes i went to both games.both games were awesome. :old: :ayatollah:

Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:45 am

Halifax93 wrote:Scunthorpe away 93 was one of THE great City moments of the past 30 years

Not one of mate. It was THE greatest and I was privelaged to be there.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:00 am

polo wrote:
Halifax93 wrote:Scunthorpe away 93 was one of THE great City moments of the past 30 years

Wembley x 4 Polo, Play off final at the Mill Stad. Scunthorpe away amazing but there have been more. Imagine what Eddie May would have done had he had Sam Hamamm to back him.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:03 pm

maccydee wrote:
polo wrote:

Wembley x 4 Polo, Play off final at the Mill Stad. Scunthorpe away amazing but there have been more. Imagine what Eddie May would have done had he had Sam Hamamm to back him.

Mate, all great occasions, but football supporting in that era was far better. I can remember Scunthorpe like it was yesterday, my memories of the rest are hazier. 3 sides of the ground and a 5000 following in the dungeon, mass pitch invasion. The best.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:06 pm

My favourite memory of Eddie personally was Wrexham away when we clinched promotion.

4,000 City fans, mainly young men, not a sole had left, demanding Eddie May on the pitch and he didnt dissapoint.

And to think someone told me to look forwards and not back the other day. Pfffft.

Eddie, Eddie, Eddie May. :ayatollah:

Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:32 pm

Maerdy boy wrote:

only a 1000 went for the second leg was because if i remember rightly we took about 4000 up there 4 days before in the league.and yes i went to both games.both games were awesome. :old: :ayatollah:

Stayed up in Prastatyn for a few days, caught both games against Wrexham. The league game was immense, but the chanting of Eddie May's Barmy Army in the cup match, seemed to go on for ever. Boy was i hoarse after that. Great memories, Great Man. :ayatollah:

Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:41 am

jama wrote:He used to drink down cathedral rd when he managed the city. Always happy to chat about football. I remember one night i almost knocked his drink over( think it was a gin & tonic) and he just laughed( thank f**k). A colossal man in more ways than one. R.I.P. Eddie.

There was a B&B on Cathedral Road that CCFC used to put players in when they first came to Cardiff, before they found a place of their own. The same happened to Eddie May, but he ended up falling in love with the landlady, Marlene and stayed with her up until his death.

Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:58 am

WITHOUT A DOUBT FANATASTIC DAY..... :old:

Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:20 am

Remember speaking to Eddie outside the stadium at Liege. He was with Stanty walking around mingling with the fans. He loved us and we loved him.

Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:07 pm

skunny away for me as well standard liege away was a great first half anyway :lol: we will never see days like that again we went away as one fans players the club we were one today i dont even know the people around me at a home game :shock: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: