Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Promotion or no debt

Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:24 pm

Personally I would go for no debt because I love this club and wonder what else I would do on a weekend if they weren't around. Also I think by getting rid of the debt we will achieve the other. As much as the Jacks like to pretend they know they are keeping our seat at the top table warm. For some reason the City have always attracted more fans than them, and that will never change. So, with the right owners, the right Manager and a stable financial situation we will sooner rather than later take our rightful position in the EPL.

Re: Promotion or no debt

Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:32 pm

El Tel wrote:Personally I would go for no debt because I love this club and wonder what else I would do on a weekend if they weren't around. Also I think by getting rid of the debt we will achieve the other. As much as the Jacks like to pretend they know they are keeping our seat at the top table warm. For some reason the City have always attracted more fans than them, and that will never change. So, with the right owners, the right Manager and a stable financial situation we will sooner rather than later take our rightful position in the EPL.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:36 pm

No Debt for me :ayatollah:

Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:37 pm

Neither will happen any time soon

Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:41 pm

polo wrote:Neither will happen any time soon

I disagree as I think we are about to embark on a good time. Having said that I'm famous for being positive.

Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:47 pm

El Tel wrote:

I disagree as I think we are about to embark on a good time. Having said that I'm famous for being positive.

I agree :ayatollah:

Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:50 pm

Die Walkure wrote:
El Tel wrote:

I agree :ayatollah:

Onward and upward, come on the City.

Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:08 pm

Surely Promotion could wipe out the debt :?

Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:15 pm

Angry Man wrote:Surely Promotion could wipe out the debt :?

There are not many sharpe minds on here AM ;) - Agree promotion would wipe off the debt ( 90M is the quoted fig ).

Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:29 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:

There are not many sharpe minds on here AM ;) - Agree promotion would wipe off the debt ( 90M is the quoted fig ).

I do worry about some on here Tops

Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:34 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:

It's £40m, not £90m.

The £90m is over 4 years inclusive of parachute payments.

Promotion will actually cost you a fortune given the increase in outgoings and the payments you are apparently due to make if you go up.

Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:39 pm

NJ73 wrote:
TopCat CCFC wrote:

It's £40m, not £90m.

Promotion will actually cost you a fortune given the increase in outgoings and the payments you are apparently due to make if you go up.

Increase of outgoings AND a increase of incomings lets not forget which isn't included in the £40m or £90m figure.

Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:44 pm

NJ73 wrote:
TopCat CCFC wrote:

It's £40m, not £90m.

I Would take the £40M - and have a wage cap - get rid of these players who are out of contract that MM does not want.
More local or true fans would invest in the club - add seats to the ground - give the players and staff bonus if the club stay up.

Look forward to watching MOTD soon ,but i think that polo might be right ;)

Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:44 pm

Angry Man wrote:
NJ73 wrote:
TopCat CCFC wrote:

It's £40m, not £90m.

Increase of outgoings AND a increase of incomings lets not forget which isn't included in the £40m or £90m figure.

Given your wage bill at Championship level, if that sort of excess is replicated at Premiership level and considering current debt levels, and payments that have to be made if you go up, then you might want to look at how Portsmouth are doing now as a vision for your future.

Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:51 pm

What about WHU - Blackpool - Reading - Birmingham - Hull - to name just 5 who are still in the mix.

Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:52 pm

NJ73 wrote:
Angry Man wrote:
NJ73 wrote:
TopCat CCFC wrote:

It's £40m, not £90m.

Given your wage bill at Championship level, if that sort of excess is replicated at Premiership level and considering current debt levels, and payments that have to be made if you go up, then you might want to look at how Portsmouth are doing now as a vision for your future.

Well given your wage bill it shows that you can get on in the permiership with a championship wage bill. However things will change come the summer when your better players will leave for the cash

Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:58 pm

Angry Man wrote:
NJ73 wrote:
Angry Man wrote:
NJ73 wrote:
TopCat CCFC wrote:

It's £40m, not £90m.

Well given your wage bill it shows that you can get on in the permiership with a championship wage bill. However things will change come the summer when your better players will leave for the cash

Aye, a pity your wage bill is far in excess of what ours was when we got promoted. It should also be noted that our squad didn't need a complete overhaul following promotion that yours would.

Nice crystal ball you've got there regarding our players but of course you shouldn't forget that anyone who does leave will be going for big money as we don't need to sell.

A nice position to be in I'm sure you'll agree.

Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:07 am

Increase of outgoings AND a increase of incomings lets not forget which isn't included in the £40m or £90m figure.[/quote]

Given your wage bill at Championship level, if that sort of excess is replicated at Premiership level and considering current debt levels, and payments that have to be made if you go up, then you might want to look at how Portsmouth are doing now as a vision for your future.[/quote]

Well given your wage bill it shows that you can get on in the permiership with a championship wage bill. However things will change come the summer when your better players will leave for the cash[/quote]

Aye, a pity your wage bill is far in excess of what ours was when we got promoted. It should also be noted that our squad didn't need a complete overhaul following promotion that yours would.

Nice crystal ball you've got there regarding our players but of course you shouldn't forget that anyone who does leave will be going for big money as we don't need to sell.

A nice position to be in I'm sure you'll agree.[/quote]

what like Gylfi Sigurðsson and Steven Caulker you mean ;)

Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:09 am

Angry Man wrote:Increase of outgoings AND a increase of incomings lets not forget which isn't included in the £40m or £90m figure.

Given your wage bill at Championship level, if that sort of excess is replicated at Premiership level and considering current debt levels, and payments that have to be made if you go up, then you might want to look at how Portsmouth are doing now as a vision for your future.[/quote]

Well given your wage bill it shows that you can get on in the permiership with a championship wage bill. However things will change come the summer when your better players will leave for the cash[/quote]

what like Gylfi Sigurðsson and Steven Caulker you mean ;)[/quote]

They are not our players so how could they leave for the cash?

Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:17 am

NJ73 wrote:
Angry Man wrote:Increase of outgoings AND a increase of incomings lets not forget which isn't included in the £40m or £90m figure.

They are not our players so how could they leave for the cash?[/quote]

Read your comment and my response and you will see my point. You stated 'anyone who does leave will be going for big money as we don't need to sell.' Well thats not the case because when this two leave you will get nothing because they aren't your players. Face facts you have been very lucky on loan signings especially with Sigurdsson, many of the others are championship standard because the standard of the premiership just isn't there anymore

Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:20 am

Angry Man wrote:
NJ73 wrote:

Read your comment and my response and you will see my point. You stated 'anyone who does leave will be going for big money as we don't need to sell.' Well thats not the case because when this two leave you will get nothing because they aren't your players. Face facts you have been very lucky on loan signings especially with Sigurdsson, many of the others are championship standard because the standard of the premiership just isn't there anymore[/quote]

How does good scouting and contacts equate to "lucky"?

The other have proven to be Premiership standard as we always said they were.

You seem to be assuming that we won't recruit for next season? I'm quite happy for you to right us off though as you lot do it every year and look where we are and look where you are :lol:

Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:01 am

NJ73 wrote:
Angry Man wrote:
NJ73 wrote:

A nice position to be in I'm sure you'll agree.

Read your comment and my response and you will see my point. You stated 'anyone who does leave will be going for big money as we don't need to sell.' Well thats not the case because when this two leave you will get nothing because they aren't your players. Face facts you have been very lucky on loan signings especially with Sigurdsson, many of the others are championship standard because the standard of the premiership just isn't there anymore[/quote]

How does good scouting and contacts equate to "lucky"?

The other have proven to be Premiership standard as we always said they were.

You seem to be assuming that we won't recruit for next season? I'm quite happy for you to right us off though as you lot do it every year and look where we are and look where you are :lol:[/quote]

Sorry but are we talking about the same team who couldn't win away from home until the January transfer window..?

Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:08 am

Angry Man wrote:
Sorry but are we talking about the same team who couldn't win away from home until the January transfer window..?

Aye, that loan window had a big effect on us winning at Villa on Jan 2nd which put us 11th in the table, exactly where we are now.

You seem to be struggling here to be honest. :lol:

Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:19 am

If what Carl is reporting turns out to come true then we will have turned all our debt into shares come the summer. Then with our bigger average gates and support than Swansea we will be well set for promotion from this league on a sustainable level. The only way to do it in my opinion.
Cardiff City - Wales Biggest Club.
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:51 am

There will always be debt, can't think of many if any clubs in the country that don't have any debt, actually most successful business's run with a debt.
There is nothing wrong with debt as long as it's manageable and controlled, big business's use debt to grow, as soon as they get to a stage when they have the debt under control, they will borrow more to invest and expand.

Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:35 am

BigGwynram wrote:There will always be debt, can't think of many if any clubs in the country that don't have any debt, actually most successful business's run with a debt.
There is nothing wrong with debt as long as it's manageable and controlled, big business's use debt to grow, as soon as they get to a stage when they have the debt under control, they will borrow more to invest and expand.

Of course you're right. Its all about levels and how manageable it is. At present it is clear the debt we have is impacting on the Managers ability to invest in the playing staff.

If we could have strengthened in the transfer window we might still have been fighting for automatic promotion now.

Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:19 am

I've read all the posts and all of the posters have valid points.

AM and NJ73 having their cocks out a bit but both are talling a bit of sense and Big Gwyn rounds it off.

I've supported City for 27 years since going down with my mates from age 13.
There has always been bust/boom/debt - we have seen highs and lows and dodgy managers and boards but we've still survived.

Trouble now is - we've surpassed just surviving and the DJ era has brought wembley visits and bottled promotion attempts so us as fans old and new can actually see that top flight football is not that far away.
We've gambled on it plus we've possibly arrogantly gambled on a new corporate stadium trying to cater for everyone and pleasing no one.
These things handled well could have set us up, but we've sold off most of the assets associated with the stadium and no one wants to go there a few hours before 'German league style' and stay after cos the beer and food are so expensive and taste shite whilst the club doesnt profit anyway.
Lots of fans have stopped going or ST's miss games as the experience is shite.

So we have debt and need to have income to support it. Success is fundemental now OR - you make the stadium OURS - the fans stadium, a place we call home.
Get some standing in - put in a bluebird club (like behind the canton in NP), allow ticket swaps, swap ends for family/canton and look into free bus service to stadium to try to stop the running from 10 mins before the end.

If i can enjoy my time at CCS, me and thousands like me - will stay whether we stay mid table or go down (we're used to it).
if we take the JB's example, they have manageable debts with their manager as their main asset.
They have a wage structure that is fairly rigid but bending with Prem league and even though, they will struggle on times, they have a decent model to follow. This is down to their Board.

We need a stable Board now and progress every year, with people in there for long term and who understand football and people. Progress can be promotion or wage bill reduction or youth team development -whatever. Just keep us fans in the loop and improve our time at the CCS.
If your ambition is reliant upon fragile break even numbers then any blip can be dangerous.

Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:34 am

Excellently put piece there that brings out a lot of sensible ideas and expresses the way a lot of fans believe.

Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:20 pm

NJ73 wrote:
Angry Man wrote:
NJ73 wrote:
TopCat CCFC wrote:

It's £40m, not £90m.

Or maybe look at how you lot have performed in the past, cheating the tax man, shafting your creditors etc etc etc!!!!

Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:07 pm

nj the problem with you swans fans is you think nothing effects you now you are in premiership well it does wages will go up as you need to buy players to replace ones gone and that increases both wages and fees, and talk of crystal ball all swans things are based on bigger stadium, staying in premier long term, ect ect and dont forget rogers will go if asked by spurs (you would go if it was you!) so wouldnt be to smug as whilst things are rosy for you at moment will it last??? financially yes you are better off than us but we are adressing our problems you adresssed them by screwing local buisnesses by going into admin twice and having council build stadium for you bet your smug about that ! so before you gloat about us take look at yourselves?