Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Injury time announcements

Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:31 pm

Why is it that the injury time has to be announced in Welsh first. The majority of the fans can not understand it so why can't they announce it in English first. At least when they announce it in English 100% of fans can understand so why not cater for the masses. I have nothing against Welsh and have no problem with the Welsh announcements being made as long as they are made after it has been announced in English first.

Re: Injury time announcements

Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:56 pm

Bluebird64 wrote:Why is it that the injury time has to be announced in Welsh first. The majority of the fans can not understand it so why can't they announce it in English first. At least when they announce it in English 100% of fans can understand so why not cater for the masses. I have nothing against Welsh and have no problem with the Welsh announcements being made as long as they are made after it has been announced in English first.

its called identity, i dont speak welsh but hey we are welsh side so why not welsh 1st you still get to know so no problem :ayatollah:

Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:12 pm

Bluebird64 wrote:Why is it that the injury time has to be announced in Welsh first. The majority of the fans can not understand it so why can't they announce it in English first. At least when they announce it in English 100% of fans can understand so why not cater for the masses. I have nothing against Welsh and have no problem with the Welsh announcements being made as long as they are made after it has been announced in English first.

Weren't you the one who was complaining about the attendance figures being sponsored the other day? :lol:

I don't think injury time being announced in Welsh first is as big an issue as you make out (partly because it's not much he has to announce), though I am a bit confused as to why Ali, at the beginning of his stint (when he says something along the lines of 'Welcome everybody to this the 14th npower Championship home game of the season between the Bluebirds and whoever'), wants to start by talking in Welsh instead of English. Whilst I am a fluent Welsh speaker (first language) and agree with Ali incorporating the Welsh language into various announcements, I cannot understand why, in this instance (i.e. when he starts his duties for the day), he puts Welsh before English :? As you quite rightly said, the majority of the crowd can't really understand it, whereas everyone understands English.

Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:49 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

its called identity, i dont speak welsh but hey we are welsh side so why not welsh 1st you still get to know so no problem :ayatollah:

I have no problem with Welsh but I don't see why the announcements made are in Welsh first.The majority of fans don't speak Welsh. Welsh has its place for sure but not at the expense of the majority who do not speak it.

Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:55 pm

Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:

Weren't you the one who was complaining about the attendance figures being sponsored the other day? :lol:

I don't think injury time being announced in Welsh first is as big an issue as you make out (partly because it's not much he has to announce), though I am a bit confused as to why Ali, at the beginning of his stint (when he says something along the lines of 'Welcome everybody to this the 14th npower Championship home game of the season between the Bluebirds and whoever'), wants to start by talking in Welsh instead of English. Whilst I am a fluent Welsh speaker (first language) and agree with Ali incorporating the Welsh language into various announcements, I cannot understand why, in this instance (i.e. when he starts his duties for the day), he puts Welsh before English :? As you quite rightly said, the majority of the crowd can't really understand it, whereas everyone understands English.

I agree with everything you say.We must also remember that we are in the English league and the teams visiting us are English speaking so we must also cater for the English visitors. I have no problem with the announcements in Welsh but they must put the English announcement first.

Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:24 pm

Bluebird64 wrote:
Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:

actually doesnt matter as its only time, which is just a mere passing of life!!

I agree with everything you say.We must also remember that we are in the English league and the teams visiting us are English speaking so we must also cater for the English visitors. I have no problem with the announcements in Welsh but they must put the English announcement first.

Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:32 pm

I get embarrassed by it, it's just not needed. I'd be surprised if there is anyone in the ground that understands it. Don't want to play the Welsh card it's the English league no away grounds cater for us by saying it in Welsh - like in European comps the announcements are made in both languages as 2 leagues playing.

Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:33 pm

Un - one
Dau - Two
Tri - Three
Pedwar - Four

Just learn the above and you'll be fine!

Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:36 pm

Owain wrote:Un - one
Dau - Two
Tri - Three
Pedwar - Four

I hope there aint five minutes then :lol:

Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:44 pm

Let's hope we never have an emergency which requires an evacuation as by the time the announcement has been made in welsh we may have all perished!
Nice to see however that WAG has appointed a welsh language commissioner. In the current ecconomic climate when the average joe is feeling the squeeze, I'm sure that's £95k (YES £95k) a year well spent. NOT

Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:55 pm

arent most announcements in Wales done in Welsh first then English, I mean if you catch a train the announcements are in Welsh first, is it some kind of law in Wales that announcements should be made in Welsh first.
personally it doesnt bother me which way its done im not fluent inWelsh by any stretch of the imagination but I can get the jist of things and if I dont understand it I just wait for the English version to start

Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:17 pm

JONNY012697 wrote:arent most announcements in Wales done in Welsh first then English, I mean if you catch a train the announcements are in Welsh first, is it some kind of law in Wales that announcements should be made in Welsh first.
personally it doesnt bother me which way its done im not fluent inWelsh by any stretch of the imagination but I can get the jist of things and if I dont understand it I just wait for the English version to start

Too late mate, the train has gone! :lol:

Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:43 pm

neeball wrote:I get embarrassed by it, it's just not needed. I'd be surprised if there is anyone in the ground that understands it. Don't want to play the Welsh card it's the English league no away grounds cater for us by saying it in Welsh - like in European comps the announcements are made in both languages as 2 leagues playing.

I understand it and I'm always in the ground :ayatollah:

Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:44 pm

Owain wrote:Un - one
Dau - Two
Tri - Three
Pedwar - Four

that's 'pump' :lol:

Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:04 pm

Die Walkure wrote:
neeball wrote:I get embarrassed by it, it's just not needed. I'd be surprised if there is anyone in the ground that understands it. Don't want to play the Welsh card it's the English league no away grounds cater for us by saying it in Welsh - like in European comps the announcements are made in both languages as 2 leagues playing.

I understand it and I'm always in the ground :ayatollah:

You fluent? :ayatollah: