Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

watering holes

Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:40 pm

reopen the (dusty forge inn) in ELY, i need a drink. :lol: When the Dusty Forge pub was shut down in Ely nearly 20 years ago, few people were sorry to see it go.

A notoriously violent pub, The Forge was the scene of many a memorable bar brawl.

“It was a scary place, I remember we wouldn’t go anywhere near it,” Diane Campbell, 40, tells me. She and her family had particular reason to fear the Forge, given that her parents had emigrated to Ely from The West Indies, just as the Forge was becoming a popular haunt for certain sectors.

The violence eventually became unmanageable, and on the advice of the police the council was forced to close the pub down. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: to be honest it was a sh*thole but a tidy pint. CCFC

Re: watering holes

Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:45 pm

is that the one on cowbridge rd that they used as a place for training courses etc??

Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:49 pm

Blackwood_Bluebird wrote:is that the one on cowbridge rd that they used as a place for training courses etc??

Yes mate :ayatollah:

Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:55 pm

yes m8. :D http://www.cardiffians.co.uk/suburbs/ely.shtml :ayatollah: :ayatollah: CCFC

Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:48 pm

The Dusty was my local in the seventies, a crazy place at times but always had a laugh in there. Ely had its fair share of mad pubs, the Dusty, the Cav, the Highfields, the Anthonys , the Bridge and the White lion, thats some list of lunatic asylums :lol:

Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:16 am

frazier wrote:The Dusty was my local in the seventies, a crazy place at times but always had a laugh in there. Ely had its fair share of mad pubs, the Dusty, the Cav, the Highfields, the Anthonys , the Bridge and the White lion, thats some list of lunatic asylums :lol:

I remember working with a boy called will carrol from ely and he took me in the Anthonys one night........I was a big chesty boy from the valleys but that place put the wind up me :lol: some scary looking blokes in there. :ayatollah:

Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:20 am

The cavalier has now gone to

Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:11 am

The Cav is back open... There also looking for a new landlord...

The highfields is the worst pub, full of druggies

Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:10 am

maybe annis, want's to take the cav on,( prime site.) :ayatollah: :ayatollah: CCFC