Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Argentina/Falklands

Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:18 pm

I see its all kicking off again in Argentina, UK embassy petrol bombed, riot police fighting mobs and effigies of our royalty being burned, I think its a matter of time before Argentina up the ante. The British army is not what it was back in the early 80's questionable this time whether this time we can defend it. :?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Argentina/Falklands

Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:22 pm

The Islands themselves are much better prepared to defend themselves this time, or so I have read (compared to last time, where defences were minimal0.

It's the Argentinian political safety card - when all else fails, wheel out the nationalistic drivel about the islands.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:33 pm

It's a lot of nonsense stirred up by the Argentine government to distract attention from domestic issues, again.

Given that they have substantial involvement in UN peacekeeping in places like Kosovo, Bosnia etc and were involved in the first Gulf war I really can't see their forces invading the Falklands.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:52 pm

If you think the British armed forces aren't up to it you should see the state of the Argies. They're still flying the planes the harriers annihilated 30 years ago and haven't enough bullets to fight anyone for more than 2 days.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:53 pm

The problem is we haven't got a great military force anymore and those that are there are all in the wrong countries.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:59 pm

Cefnfforestbluebird wrote:I see its all kicking off again in Argentina, UK embassy petrol bombed, riot police fighting mobs and effigies of our royalty being burned, I think its a matter of time before Argentina up the ante. The British army is not what it was back in the early 80's questionable this time whether this time we can defend it. :?

Disagree with the comment whether the Army is up to the task , considering prior to the Falkland war the Army only had experience in internal security ( Northern ireland) it did pretty well ,in terms of the wars in Iraq (2) and the on going conflict in Afghanistan,these has given the Army the ability to train and practice full on contact .The major problem would be resupply if we lost the uprated airfield on the island as the government in their wisdom have decided to rid the navy of its air launch capability and that also we maybe over stretched else where

Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:02 pm

Irrelevant arguing about the British Army and it's strength, as most of the defence for the islands are already based there...unlike before.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:24 pm

Yes we could, i would say 'easy' but i think we would be a bit streched fighting on to many front's, we have still got the second biggest navy in NATO dont forget, and the best trained soldiers and some of the best regiments in the world.
Ok we might have made cut's, but the argies are still using the same stuff they were using back then, outdated, the UK has far more advanced aircraft (euro fighters & apache's), new boats and subs, i doubt there navy would even make it that far.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:29 pm

Dont underestimate the british army. because we hear of cuts and drop in numbers etc doesnt mean we are weaker.
The MOD wont tell you everything. the british army is still up there with the best despite being a small island.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:38 pm

Argentina, in terms of military aircraft etc., are finished. They've got nothing left, basically!

Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:41 pm

jinks-rct wrote:Dont underestimate the british army. because we hear of cuts and drop in numbers etc doesnt mean we are weaker.
The MOD wont tell you everything. the british army is still up there with the best despite being a small island.

Lets hope so Jinks, but we cant be every where in the World, we do have a reduced force compared to years ago.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:48 pm

I have just come back from the falklands.. There is no way the argies could take them back. Plus the locals do want them there at all!

Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:39 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo0BNYGgEV4 ( had family on sir galahad) CCFC

Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:55 pm

I am just curious (we do live in a democracy): is anyone on here opposed to Britain possessing the Falklands?

Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:56 pm

the argies , sticking up for something they believe in, we are such a limp nation, we just let the goverment walk all over us and nod our heads :(

Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:17 pm

ninianblue wrote:the argies , sticking up for something they believe in, we are such a limp nation, we just let the goverment walk all over us and nod our heads :(

What about The Dirty War? Argentina is hardly a country to look up to as far as politics go.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:19 pm

ninianblue wrote:the argies , sticking up for something they believe in, we are such a limp nation, we just let the goverment walk all over us and nod our heads :(

im not talking about the falklands war. im talking about petrol prices. goverment tax. tax. tax.tax. and what do we people do about it. .... fuxck all :(

Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:27 pm

tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:I am just curious (we do live in a democracy): is anyone on here opposed to Britain possessing the Falklands?

I can see their side of the argument, but given the overwhelming views of the Islanders, the principle of self determination is a strong one for Argentina to overcome.

Let's hope no one out in Argentina does anything stupid, and we have another tragedy like 1982 again, given the hundreds who dies during that conflict (on both sides).

Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:28 pm

ninianblue wrote:

im not talking about the falklands war. im talking about petrol prices. goverment tax. tax. tax.tax. and what do we people do about it. .... fuxck all :(

I'm not referring to the Falklands war. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirty_War.

We have a choice if we don't like our government, we can get rid of them. Other's are not so lucky.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:30 pm

Die Walkure wrote:
tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:I am just curious (we do live in a democracy): is anyone on here opposed to Britain possessing the Falklands?

I can see their side of the argument, but given the overwhelming views of the Islanders, the principle of self determination is a strong one for them to overcome.

Let's hope no one out there does anything stupid, and we have another tragedy like 1982 again, given the hundreds who dies during that conflict (on both sides).

The program I watched on S4C this evening was very Argentine-centric in that there were many Welsh speaking Argetines who were featured, and whilst their desire for the return of ''Las Malvinas' is strong, their desire for another conflict is not.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:37 pm

why do we even own the island,

its like 3,000 miles away from the uk.

it a joke,
should just give them back their terroritory,

it would be like brazzalians owning, northern island , or jersey = absoloute joke

Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:39 pm

All we would have to do is send a sub down there.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:41 pm

sloper_road_legend wrote:it would be like brazzalians owning, northern ireland

Perhaps not the best example mate!

Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:51 pm

sloper_road_legend wrote:why do we even own the island,

it a joke,

it would be like brazzalians owning, northern island , or jersey = absoloute joke

They were never really their's in the first place.. They was first settled by the French, then the British and Spanish were there before they were briefly uninhabited, then there was a very brief Argentinian presence for about five years before the British created a permanent colony about 180 years ago.

The Argentinian people have never really been interested in the Falklands. The government just likes to create a fuss over them when there are problems at home.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:04 pm

tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:
sloper_road_legend wrote:it would be like brazzalians owning, northern ireland

Perhaps not the best example mate!

America owning Ireland?

Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:06 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
jinks-rct wrote:Dont underestimate the british army. because we hear of cuts and drop in numbers etc doesnt mean we are weaker.

Lets hope so Jinks, but we cant be every where in the World, we do have a reduced force compared to years ago.

Less troops but better technology and weapons..
Like tesco they reduced their staff on checkouts because they have machines that can do the job :lol: :lol:

Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:36 am

harold pinta wrote:

it a joke,

They were never really their's in the first place.. They was first settled by the French, then the British and Spanish were there before they were briefly uninhabited, then there was a very brief Argentinian presence for about five years before the British created a permanent colony about 180 years ago.

The Argentinian people have never really been interested in the Falklands. The government just likes to create a fuss over them when there are problems at home.

Actually the Argentinians (or Buenos Ayries as they were then) were there for 3 months.

The British turfed them off as soon as they could when they found out that a Garrison had been placed there. In the 3 months they were there, some soldiers at the Garrison had revolted and murdered the commanding officer.

For a number of years before that one businessman from Argentina had started a business with the wild cattle there, he had asked permission from both Argentina and Britain. Argentina at one point later made him Governor, a couple of years before the garrison, he wanted this to control the fishing and sealing rights, he confiscated three US ships after which the Americans turned up with a warship and evicted his men, the Americans classed them as pirates.

The Argentinians announced there was no outstanding issues between the UK and them in the 1850's, thus ending any claim.

Its unknown who was first to see the islands, possibly early Spanish ships, the Dutch were the first to mark its location, the British the first to circumnavigate them and later to step on them.

The French raced ahead to put a colony on one of the Islands a year before the British landed on another island and start a small colony. The French handed over their colony to the Spanish who paid them expenses incurred, this was due to treaty's between them.

The Spanish then threw us off, we put together an armada ready to go to war and the Spanish capitulated and handed the colony back, soon after the British left after marking the island with a flag and plaque because they needed to relocate the soldiers due to rising problems at the American colonies.

The Spanish stayed there (on the island with Port Stanley) until about 1815, when they left for similar reasons with their colonies.

The Argentinian attempted his business there 3 times during the 1820's. The British maintained their claim, even though as Wellington said, we probably did not own all the islands.

The Argentinians did not inherit the islands from Spain ans Spain did not recognise them for 50 years and they had to fight for everything they took from Spain (not just Argentina but other Spanish colonies like Uruguay).

Argentina wasn't the closest to the island, Patagonia was, which Argentina conquered and colonised over a 50 year period.

Falklands is not 'just off' Argentina, its 300 miles, the distance from Scotland to Norway. South Georgia which they are also after is over 1000 miles away.

They need these islands to cement their claim to areas of the Antarctica, plus the oil thats been discovered since the 80's.

Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:55 am

it a joke,

funnily enough the brazilians owning jersey wouldnt make any difference as Jersey doesnt belong to us either its a self governing state with its own financial, legal and judicial systems very similar to the falkland islands, but know one seems to moan about the channel islands but when it comes to the falkland islands its a different story. The Falkland Islands dont belong to anyone other than the Falklanders and if they choose to align themselves with Britain however far away they are from London the Argentinians and us the British are going to just have to get used to it.
We dont own the Islands the Islanders do they just have essentialy a very elaborate contract with us which benefits both sides.

Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:53 am

ninianblue wrote:

im not talking about the falklands war. im talking about petrol prices. goverment tax. tax. tax.tax. and what do we people do about it. .... fuxck all :([/quote)

Ha Ha :lol: I'd give you about 3 weeks trying to live and work in Argentina where as the the Argies that I've met think this is the promised land even in our current economic climate.The things we take for granted are a hard earned privilage in that country(education,healthcare,wellfare etc)that remain out of reach of most.I could cut your tax bill by 60%-just pay for your own medical care,your childrens education and if you lose your job just ask for your relatives or the church to support you.I ain't saying its perfect but if you've lived in some other places as have I you tend to appreciate this place a bit more.

Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:17 am

Some interesting and fascinating comments on here regarding this thread, who says this messageboard isnt topical :ayatollah: :ayatollah: PS I watched that programme last night showing the 3 Welsh lads going back to the Falklands on BBC Wales very moving programme