Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

''Michael Collins''

Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:02 pm

So, who else has seen this film. Opinions?

Re: ''Michael Collins''

Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:12 pm

Saw it many years ago, very powerful movie. Ironically the IRA were unofficially created in a North Wales Prison where Mr Collins himself learnt some Welsh whilst forming plans for the revolution the rest as they say is history :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:15 pm

Cefnfforestbluebird wrote:Saw it many years ago, very powerful movie. Ironically the IRA were unofficially created in a North Wales Prison where Mr Collins himself learnt some Welsh whilst forming plans for the revolution the rest as they say is history :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Ffrongoch I seem to remember?

The Irish civil war sadly followed the blueprint of other civil wars: that of the factions of the collective force collapsing, having achieved its aim, in order to chase said factions self interests.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:59 pm

tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:
Cefnfforestbluebird wrote:Saw it many years ago, very powerful movie. Ironically the IRA were unofficially created in a North Wales Prison where Mr Collins himself learnt some Welsh whilst forming plans for the revolution the rest as they say is history :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Ffrongoch I seem to remember?

The Irish civil war sadly followed the blueprint of other civil wars: that of the factions of the collective force collapsing, having achieved its aim, in order to chase said factions self interests.

Saw an interesting programme on S4C recently about it all. :ayatollah:

Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:47 pm

i have seen this film,and think its very good.also great performances from a few of the actors but a great story nonetheless

Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:59 pm

Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:21 pm

tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:So, who else has seen this film. Opinions?

Yes I seen it , in fact I got the DVD of it, and one you should see also , Is a Film called THE WIND THAT SHACKES THE BARLEY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhn5_gUcO5E It just goes to show how the english Use to treat the Irish in there own land. :twisted:

Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:00 pm

welshcitydragon wrote:

Yes I seen it , in fact I got the DVD of it, and one you should see also , Is a Film called THE WIND THAT SHACKES THE BARLEY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhn5_gUcO5E It just goes to show how the english Use to treat the Irish in there own land. :twisted:

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

....and the English even managed to get that Welsh cnut Lloyd george to do the dirty work for them....... :evil:

Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:02 pm

Great, the way thet managed to feck all the english agents out of it....... urban warriors :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:06 pm

Johnny Rythmn wrote:

Great, the way thet managed to feck all the english agents out of it....... urban warriors :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Can you name all 7 of the names on the Irish proclomation of Independence without cheating, Jonathan?

Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:15 pm

Ken Loach's "The Wind that Shakes the Barley" is a better film, and won the palme d'or at Cannes in 2006.

Neil Jordans' film about Michael Collins is ok, but not in that class.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:16 pm

Johnny Rythmn wrote:

Can you name all 7 of the names on the Irish proclomation of Independence without cheating, Jonathan?

I'll start with James Connolly, who was shot in a chair (as he was too badly wounded to stand) for his part in the Easter Rising

Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:36 pm

Die Walkure wrote:
Johnny Rythmn wrote:

I'll start with James Connolly, who was shot in a chair (as he was too badly wounded to stand) for his part in the Easter Rising

Pearse..... called it on when his boys were well outnumbered

Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:40 pm

I was fuming earlier, I could only get 5 of the 7

Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:14 pm

tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:I was fuming earlier, I could only get 5 of the 7

c-p-c-p-c-mac dee-mac dee is ho i learned them

clarke, pearse, connolly, plunkett, ceannt, mac donagh,mac diarmada (dermot)

Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:21 pm

POBLACHT NA H EIREANN
TO THE PEOPLE OF IRELAND

IRISHMEN AND IRISHWOMEN: In the name of God and of the dead generations from which she receives her old tradition of nationhood, Ireland, through us, summons her children to her flag and strikes for her freedom.

Having organised and trained her manhood through her secret revolutionary organisation, the Irish Republican Brotherhood, and through her open military organisations, the Irish Volunteers and the Irish Citizen Army, having patiently perfected her discipline, having resolutely waited for the right moment to reveal itself, she now seizes that moment, and, supported by her exiled children in America and by gallant allies in Europe, but relying in the first on her own strength, she strikes in full confidence of victory.

We declare the right of the people of Ireland to the ownership of Ireland, and to the unfettered control of Irish destinies, to be sovereign and indefeasible. The long usurpation of that right by a foreign people and government has not extinguished the right, nor can it ever be extinguished except by the destruction of the Irish people. In every generation the Irish people have asserted their right to national freedom and sovereignty; six times during the last three hundred years they have asserted it to arms. Standing on that fundamental right and again asserting it in arms in the face of the world, we hereby proclaim the Irish Republic as a Sovereign Independent State, and we pledge our lives and the lives of our comrades-in-arms to the cause of its freedom, of its welfare, and of its exaltation among the nations.

The Irish Republic is entitled to, and hereby claims, the allegiance of every Irishman and Irishwoman. The Republic guarantees religious and civil liberty, equal rights and equal opportunities to all its citizens, and declares its resolve to pursue the happiness and prosperity of the whole nation and all of its parts, cherishing all of the children of the nation equally and oblivious of the differences carefully fostered by an alien government, which have divided a minority from the majority in the past.

Until our arms have brought the opportune moment for the establishment of a permanent National, representative of the whole people of Ireland and elected by the suffrages of all her men and women, the Provisional Government, hereby constituted, will administer the civil and military affairs of the Republic in trust for the people.

We place the cause of the Irish Republic under the protection of the Most High God. Whose blessing we invoke upon our arms, and we pray that no one who serves that cause will dishonour it by cowardice, in humanity, or rapine. In this supreme hour the Irish nation must, by its valour and discipline and by the readiness of its children to sacrifice themselves for the common good, prove itself worthy of the august destiny to which it is called.

Signed on Behalf of the Provisional Government.

Thomas J. Clarke,
Sean Mac Diarmada, Thomas MacDonagh,
P. H. Pearse, Eamonn Ceannt,
James Connolly, Joseph Plunkett

Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:52 am

Die Walkure wrote:Ken Loach's "The Wind that Shakes the Barley" is a better film, and won the palme d'or at Cannes in 2006.

Wind that shakes the Barley top film :ayatollah:

Although the part at the start when they killed that for refusing to speak English and the finger nail pulling got me and my dad when he lent it very angry :evil:

Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:27 am

The fking english did many many crimes against man but of course when you win you can write history how you want others to read it.

The black & tans that we see in the film THE WIND THAT SHACKES THE BARLEY, use to just bust into anyone house they wanted and rape the young girls & mothers and kill the fathers & Brothers. The were waiting for group of IRA guy near a Bridge and just down in the river around 500yrds away in the river was a boy of 7 0r 8 years of age. Course the Black & Tans were bored of waiting they started shooting at the young Boy who was playing in the river, they hit him and killed him., were they charged with Murder ? No ! :twisted:

Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:41 pm

ross1927 wrote:
Die Walkure wrote:Ken Loach's "The Wind that Shakes the Barley" is a better film, and won the palme d'or at Cannes in 2006.

Wind that shakes the Barley top film :ayatollah:

Although the part at the start when they killed that for refusing to speak English and the finger nail pulling got me and my dad when he lent it very angry :evil:

It's a very powerful film, and like most of Loach's films, is very fair as well.

He also did an excellent film on the Spanish Civil War called "Land & Freedom" in the mid 1990's