Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Whats the definition of a "Plastic"

Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:26 pm

I saw a comment on here earlier this week in another thread whereby a poster called Polo "A Plastic fan" now then it made me laugh :lol: Polo has been on the scene for decades :ayatollah: and just because based on the quality of football and the costs possibly he has decided not to renew next season. In my view he and others like him ARE Cardiff City Supporters and whether they renew or not does not make them plastics. I was under the impression a "plastic" were the lads I see in my local who adorn Liverpool or Arsenal tops and occasionaly maybe once a season would pop down the city. So how do you define a plastic??????

Re: Whats the definition of a "Plastic"

Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:35 pm

I think the whole plastic debate is pathetic tbh. If people want to buy a ticket and come support the boys then I think that's a good thing and dont see why people should mock them if they go to one game or thirty games.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:39 pm

I don't see how someone can be called a supporter if the only reason they have for not going to matches is the quality of football.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:51 pm

tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:I don't see how someone can be called a supporter if the only reason they have for not going to matches is the quality of football.

I agree i go when we are shit or good.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:54 pm

I called him a plastic, Why Because he is. :lol:

He's just throwing his toys out the pram because MM was not his choice. He says hes not renewing, I bet he will. Otherwise he's a plastic. :ayatollah:

Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:55 pm

In a lot of people's eyes I would be a plastic. Since I moved to London 6 years ago I only get to about 5 home games and when possible turn up at away games in London or close by I.e hammers, palace, Watford, reading, etc. Usually sit in the home end and keep quiet to be honest cos its easier to get a ticket. My old man's an ambo so sorts me out with Wembley tickets which pisses some folks off but to be honest f**k em. I was there from 89 through to 04 every home match I could possibly get to. I wad the only kid in school to wear a city shirt and am dyed in the wool city. Am I plastic am I f**k.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:06 pm

tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:I don't see how someone can be called a supporter if the only reason they have for not going to matches is the quality of football.

Being a Supporter is another debate possibly, what Im trying to find here is what is a plastic ? As I said if a city fan has gone down for 20 years plus or 10 years then decides not to renew for whatever reason in my book they would still be a supporter as have followed the club in past times and no doubt would still follow the clubs fortunes. We could say based on your statement that 18,000 of our fans are not supporters as we didnt see them in the 80's when the football was bad. surely they should have been there then? as I say another debate for that issue :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: But how do you define a plastic ? I always thought they were fans of other clubs living locally who wouldnt watch the city :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:08 pm

Ive got to agree with you there, a supporter sticks with their team through good and bad times CITY is for life not just when theyre winning

Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:11 pm

Cefnfforestbluebird wrote:But how do you define a plastic ? I always thought they were fans of other clubs living locally who wouldnt watch the city :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I would agree with that description, with the added points that 1.they constantly deride supporters of their local team (in this case Cardiff City), even when we were not in direct competition with them, and 2.they don't possess the characteristics of a football fan (knowledge of game, attended at least a few games).

Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:14 pm

tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:
Cefnfforestbluebird wrote:But how do you define a plastic ? I always thought they were fans of other clubs living locally who wouldnt watch the city :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I would agree with that description, with the added points that 1.they constantly deride supporters of their local team (in this case Cardiff City), even when we were not in direct competition with them, and 2.they don't possess the characteristics of a football fan (knowledge of game, attended at least a few games).

good shout that mate :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:16 pm

There also seems to be a kind of 'envy' ingrained in them towards fans like us, which manifests itself in quite aggresive manners.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:27 pm

Kanester wrote:I called him a plastic, Why Because he is. :lol:

He's just throwing his toys out the pram because MM was not his choice. He says hes not renewing, I bet he will. Otherwise he's a plastic. :ayatollah:

Ive probably been to more football grounds than most posters on this thread. :lol:

The football experience now isnt what it used to be and im bored of it.

Left the game HT on Saturday to go back to the pub. If that makes me a plastic so be it. :lol:

I can live with the namecalling off faceless nobodies. You cannot take my memories away.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:27 pm

Cefnfforestbluebird wrote:I saw a comment on here earlier this week in another thread whereby a poster called Polo "A Plastic fan" now then it made me laugh :lol: Polo has been on the scene for decades :ayatollah: and just because based on the quality of football and the costs possibly he has decided not to renew next season. In my view he and others like him ARE Cardiff City Supporters and whether they renew or not does not make them plastics. I was under the impression a "plastic" were the lads I see in my local who adorn Liverpool or Arsenal tops and occasionaly maybe once a season would pop down the city. So how do you define a plastic??????

A plastic is someone who supports a team that they have no emotional connection with. A better term would be Bandwagon Jumper-look at the amount of Man City fans at the moment. These twats would support Rochdale or Darlington if they were in with a shout of winning the Premier League.

Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:05 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:
Cefnfforestbluebird wrote:I saw a comment on here earlier this week in another thread whereby a poster called Polo "A Plastic fan" now then it made me laugh :lol: Polo has been on the scene for decades :ayatollah: and just because based on the quality of football and the costs possibly he has decided not to renew next season. In my view he and others like him ARE Cardiff City Supporters and whether they renew or not does not make them plastics. I was under the impression a "plastic" were the lads I see in my local who adorn Liverpool or Arsenal tops and occasionaly maybe once a season would pop down the city. So how do you define a plastic??????

A plastic is someone who supports a team that they have no emotional connection with. A better term would be Bandwagon Jumper-look at the amount of Man City fans at the moment. These twats would support Rochdale or Darlington if they were in with a shout of winning the Premier League.

Good points however I would temper these remarks....
a.) In order to reach the sleeping giant status many of us feel Cardiff has when the team eventually launches itself into the Premiere League, Cardiff will want as many of these "bandwagon fans" as they can get. The teams that have the bandwagon fans, well they have earned them for the most part.
b.) All fans have to start somewhere, something has to entice them, for some people just being born near a club is not enough to pull them in.