Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Will We Reach The Play Offs This Season?

You may select 1 option

View results

We Have it All to Do - Make Play Offs?

Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:39 pm

At this stage in 08/09 we finished 7th on goal difference. P40 W 17 D 16 L7 GD+18 67pts ended on 74
09/10 Play Offs P40 W 19 D 8 L13 GD +18 65pts ended on 76
10/11 Play Offs P40 W 20 D 9 L11 GD +19 69pts ended on 80

This season P40 W 15 D 16 L9 GD +7 61pts

With this in mind, can you see us making the play offs? We are behind where we have been before, not been in the best of form but other teams around us have been also dropping points and we have only lost 1 in 7.

Re: We Have it All to Do - Make Play Offs?

Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:46 pm

If Malky goes out to win the remaining home games and plays 2 up front we still have a good chance. :ayatollah:
We must also win at Boro on Saturday, no more draws,we have to go all out to win these remaining games, still all to play for. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:55 pm

Been saying for some time that we need to be more attack minded and positive at home t make sure we get the 3 points rather than playing safe and take the point if we can't break teams down. Teams like Blackpool, Reading, Southampton go out and try 100% to win every game. Norwich and QPR did it last season.

4-5-1 may be ok away from home but lets make CCS a fortress and pick up the 3 points. Anyway on that note it would a bonus to get a point against Boro but 3pts would be a massive result and would install a bit of lost confidence. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:59 pm

We will make the play offs in 6th place.Keep positive and support the boys for the last 6 games.With our help they can do it. :ayatollah:

Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:01 pm

When Blackpool beat us in the final they reached the play offs in 6th spot with 70 points ! thats where the hope is. Other teams around us are not running away with it yet although Blackpool had a good result against the Saints. :ayatollah:

Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:07 pm

bridgendbluebird30 wrote:When Blackpool beat us in the final they reached the play offs in 6th spot with 70 points ! thats where the hope is. Other teams around us are not running away with it yet although Blackpool had a good result against the Saints. :ayatollah:

:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:43 pm

I have believed for months we would make the playoffs but right now I think we are no more than in the mix. But we are in the mix with what are I believe 6 games where we can go unbeaten. However disappointing a run we are on we are back to being a difficult team to beat and that'swhat I hope will take us to the playoffs.

If you look at the fixtures of the 4 teams above us with the exception of Blackpool they are more difficult than ours;

Birmingham;

Burnley Away
Palace Home
West Ham Away
Bristol City Home
Ipswich Away
Brighton Away
Reading Home

Blackpool:

Watford Away
Barnsley Home
Forest Away
Leeds Home
Burnley Home
Millwall Away

Brighton:

Burnley Away
Reading Hme
West Ham Away
Watford Home
Birmingham Home
Barnsley Away

Middlesbrough;

Cardiff Home
Hull Away
Derby Away
Doncaster Home
Southampton Home
Watford Away

Our 3 home games Watford, Derby and Leeds all look winable and if we do just that it will be down to how many points we can take from Middlesbrough, Barnsley and Palace away. 5 points from those away games would be goodand more than that would be great.

The question is can we get back our scoring touch because ultimately our fate will be decided by that. Goals wins games it's as simple as that.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:52 pm

castleblue wrote:I have believed for months we would make the playoffs but right now I think we are no more than in the mix. But we are in the mix with what are I believe 6 games where we can go unbeaten. However disappointing a run we are on we are back to being a difficult team to beat and that'swhat I hope will take us to the playoffs.

If you look at the fixtures of the 4 teams above us with the exception of Blackpool they are more difficult than ours;

Birmingham;

Burnley Away
Palace Home
West Ham Away
Bristol City Home
Ipswich Away
Brighton Away
Reading Home

Blackpool:

Watford Away
Barnsley Home
Forest Away
Leeds Home
Burnley Home
Millwall Away

Brighton:

Burnley Away
Reading Hme
West Ham Away
Watford Home
Birmingham Home
Barnsley Away

Middlesbrough;

Cardiff Home
Hull Away
Derby Away
Doncaster Home
Southampton Home
Watford Away

Our 3 home games Watford, Derby and Leeds all look winable and if we do just that it will be down to how many points we can take from Middlesbrough, Barnsley and Palace away. 5 points from those away games would be goodand more than that would be great.

The question is can we get back our scoring touch because ultimately our fate will be decided by that. Goals wins games it's as simple as that.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

looking at all these fixtures and the games we have left, i expect us to win 3 of the home games like you but i can see us beating boro on saturday if we played as we did against birmingham, and also barnsley, but palace will be sticky!... out of 18 points, i think 12 will get us there just!... don't boo the boys in the next games, don't get on their backs, support them and make some noise! :ayatollah:

Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:36 pm

absolutely :ayatollah:

Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:51 pm

keep the faith we will do it :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:56 pm

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/eng ... /promotion

Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:05 am

And to be in the top 6 at the end of season -

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/eng ... p-6-finish

Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:30 am

TopCat CCFC wrote:And to be in the top 6 at the end of season -

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/eng ... p-6-finish

Looks like the bookies have us finishing outside the play-offs. :( :oops:

Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:01 pm

Hardly surprising the bookies dont rate our chances of going up.

Even if we got to the play-offs realistically we would have to win 2 out of 3 games. Given our run of form and draw history then this is unlikely.

Our best chance would be to play for 3 x nil-nil draws and hope we get lucky in 2 penalty shoot outs.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:11 pm

Now the time to start to produce: Listed are our competitors last 4 games:

Birmingham W2 D1 L1 7 PTS
Blackpool W2 D1 L1 7 PTS
Brighton W1 D2 L1 5PTS
Boro W0 D4 L0 4 PTS
City W0 D4 L0 4 PTS
Hull W0 D0 L4 0PTS
Leeds W1 D2 L1 4 PTS
Watford W3 D1 L0 10PTS
Leicester W1 D2 L1 5PTS
Derby W2 D1 L1 7 PTS

Watford are the form team followed by decent performances from Brum, Blackpool and Derby.

Brighton, City, Boro, Leeds & Leicester have been average whilst Hull's form has been dire. We need to put a couple of back to back wins together. :ayatollah: