Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Giorgio Chinaglia

Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:38 pm

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/need- ... -30672609/

Ex-Swansea player Giorgio Chinaglia passed away over the weekend, before I get lynched, there is a point to me posting this on here. A few months ago I was given a copy of the book "Arrividerci Swansea" which told his life story, the early chapters are all based on him growing up in Cardiff and the book has some very funny moments in there, including getting grief off his teachers because he played football and refused to play rugby, his time with Cardiff schoolboys and a lot of others.

Here's the bit that makes me cringe though, Cardiff City turned him down after a trial, and then after a couple of years, the Swans got rid of him as well, it's almost inevitable that he went on to win Serie A with Lazio, play at the World cup with Italy, and is still regarded as the finest player to play in the old American "Soccer Federation". (not bad when you consider that he had Pele and Beckenbauer as team mates.)

For anyone looking for a little bit of history about Cardiff in the 1950's/60's and a very good book about someone who seems to have been a real character throughout his life, then if you get a chance then have a look. Some very funny stories in there as well.

RIP Giorgio

Re: Giorgio Chinaglia

Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:34 pm

R.I.P Giorgio :ayatollah:

Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:52 pm

Thanks for posting this scotsjack.

I have connections with Rome, and have a soft spot for Lazio, having seen them play quite a bit over the years. Giorgio Chinaglia is a legend there, as a key part of the 1973/74 Scudetto winning side. Lazio have only won it twice, the other time in 1999/2000 under Sven.

More recently, Giorgio was at the head of an attempted takeover, but the current president Claudio Lotito survived. Giorgio was the hero of the 'Irriducibili', the majority ultra group.

A truly colourful character. Brian Glanville has written some great stuff about him in World Soccer magazine. There was a picture of Giorgio in the Curva Nord surrounded by his ultra fans in the same magazine a year or two back! He was known in Italy as 'il mezzogallese', the half-Welshman, or as 'Long John'. The book you mention is well worth a read.

May he Rest in Peace.

Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:40 pm

RIP.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:57 am

r.i p giorgio

Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:03 pm

llangainbluebird wrote:Thanks for posting this scotsjack.

I have connections with Rome, and have a soft spot for Lazio, having seen them play quite a bit over the years. Giorgio Chinaglia is a legend there, as a key part of the 1973/74 Scudetto winning side. Lazio have only won it twice, the other time in 1999/2000 under Sven.

More recently, Giorgio was at the head of an attempted takeover, but the current president Claudio Lotito survived. Giorgio was the hero of the 'Irriducibili', the majority ultra group.

A truly colourful character. Brian Glanville has written some great stuff about him in World Soccer magazine. There was a picture of Giorgio in the Curva Nord surrounded by his ultra fans in the same magazine a year or two back! He was known in Italy as 'il mezzogallese', the half-Welshman, or as 'Long John'. The book you mention is well worth a read.

May he Rest in Peace.

One of the best football books I've read, quite a character as you said.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:41 pm

I was listening to the radio yesterday about this fella, & my ears "pricked" up when Cardiff was mentioned & then Swansea [town] as it was then. Fascinating story, I'll get the book. Thanks.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:30 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... ibute.html