Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Best welsh club side??

Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:39 pm

Who do think is the best ever welsh club team,being a jack its the swans off now,80,81 team was good but did not make the impact that the team off today has,,
Cant say much about your lot as most of my life time you have been in the lower leagues,but do you think there has been a cardiff side or a swans side better then that off today.

Re: Best welsh club side??

Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:00 pm

swansealad69 wrote:Who do think is the best ever welsh club team,being a jack its the swans off now,80,81 team was good but did not make the impact that the team off today has,,
Cant say much about your lot as most of my life time you have been in the lower leagues,but do you think there has been a cardiff side or a swans side better then that off today.

Our team of 20s (light years ago) won fa cup, charity shield and were runners up in League in 24 and cup in 25. They would have won the league if goal difference was used instead of goal average.

If you are looking at success and trophies it has to be the CCFC of 90 years ago.

Moving into modern era we have done very little of note apart from 2 cup final appearances. Swansea have done exceptionally well this season but apart from plaudits they have not achieved anything other than to secure a premier league place for next season. It would be interseting to see what would happen if Williams, Allen and Vorm were all out at the same time as they are probably the key to your success.

Our squad of last season was superior to yours but thanks to DJ the bottler you went up. Looking at squads this season Swansea are better but take out the loan players and the difference might not be as big as some might think.

Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:26 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:
swansealad69 wrote:Who do think is the best ever welsh club team,being a jack its the swans off now,80,81 team was good but did not make the impact that the team off today has,,

Our team of 20s (light years ago) won fa cup, charity shield and were runners up in League in 24 and cup in 25. They would have won the league if goal difference was used instead of goal average.

If you are looking at success and trophies it has to be the CCFC of 90 years ago.

Moving into modern era we have done very little of note apart from 2 cup final appearances. Swansea have done exceptionally well this season but apart from plaudits they have not achieved anything other than to secure a premier league place for next season. It would be interseting to see what would happen if Williams, Allen and Vorm were all out at the same time as they are probably the key to your success.

Our squad of last season was superior to yours but thanks to DJ the bottler you went up. Looking at squads this season Swansea are better but take out the loan players and the difference might not be as big as some might think.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^all of this

The best Welsh club side ever were definitely ours of the mid 1920's.

The Swansea team this year though are very good as well, but not in that class.

Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:37 pm

Not sure how you can come up with that,but its your opinion,,what does confuse me is what willts said is that loan players aside we are even at this time???you aint for real surley??today we had 1 loan player in our side ,away to one of the top guns this year and we lost 3,,1 but played some great football and untill the 75th min was 1,,1,,,,you are nowere near equal to our side right now,,

Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:39 pm

The team that beat Real Madrid was pretty special.
Brian Clarke and Nigel Rees :ayatollah:

Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:55 pm

I would say the Swansea side of the present. I think the quality of football overall today is way better than the past.
Last edited by JonCCFC on Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:56 pm

swansealad69 wrote:Not sure how you can come up with that,but its your opinion,,what does confuse me is what willts said is that loan players aside we are even at this time???you aint for real surley??today we had 1 loan player in our side ,away to one of the top guns this year and we lost 3,,1 but played some great football and untill the 75th min was 1,,1,,,,you are nowere near equal to our side right now,,

Caulker has been a key component-he is far better than Monk who is championship quality and had he been playing today Spurs might not have won.

Siggurddson has been a superb signing-take him and his goals out and Swansea would be at least 9points worse off.

The fact is we are all biased about our sides and see the positives in our own and negative in others.

Over past 3 years swansea have not had any major injuries-1 or 2 have had hamstrings/groins etc.....I honestly think if williams, allen and sinclair were out for a few months they would be screwed and whilst wishing harm on dyer (thieving scum bag) i wouldnt wish harm on the others it would be interesting to see what would happen if 5 or 6 of the squad were out.

Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:04 pm

swansealad69 wrote:Not sure how you can come up with that,but its your opinion,,what does confuse me is what willts said is that loan players aside we are even at this time???you aint for real surley??today we had 1 loan player in our side ,away to one of the top guns this year and we lost 3,,1 but played some great football and untill the 75th min was 1,,1,,,,you are nowere near equal to our side right now,,

The great football you played was all very well if you want to pass short passes sidewards and backwards with 25 passes - but spurs were making as much ground and progress with 5 passes, if you played more direct and moved forward at the same kind of pace as they did it would have been a more equal game. Having 60-70% possession is ok if your actually doing something with it. Just my observation?

Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:15 pm

Thing is lets face it spurs are a good side and yes we play to our system,and wile pepole [mainly cvardiff fans]will say its boring and negative it has taken us to the premier and all the pundits are talking about us playing football the right way ,,,
Lets not forget this is still our first season in the top flight and we are still learning,,

Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:52 pm

1. ccfc 1992/93 bit cheeky i know :ayatollah:
2. the best has got to be the ccfc team in the 20s
3. cfc 60s euro runs
4. jacks 81/82
5. jacks today
6. newport/ wrexham were good late 70s early80s

Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:57 pm

swansealad69 wrote:Thing is lets face it spurs are a good side and yes we play to our system,and wile pepole [mainly cvardiff fans]will say its boring and negative it has taken us to the premier and all the pundits are talking about us playing football the right way ,,,
Lets not forget this is still our first season in the top flight and we are still learning,,

I've never said Swansea's footy is boring or negative? In fact quite the opposite compared to us right now! But the fact that you are doing quite well this season might actually come back and bite you on the ass if it means losing players and personnel? only the summer will tell hey?

Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:59 pm

impossible to make any comparison as football as changed so much over the years

Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:02 pm

LMFAO.

You had 15 good minutes. Rest of the game was all Spurs, the fact it was 1-1 just showed Spurs hadn't taken their many chances...

Great football? When exactly?

Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:03 pm

There's no doubt the Jacks have exceeded everybody's expectations and you have to be impressed by some of their performances and results.
Something that caught my eye today, when they showed stats Jacks had something like 55% possession, but twice as much of the game was played in Swansea's defensive third as Spurs, so stats can be very deceiving.
Having said that it's difficult to think of any of our players getting in their side on current form.

Back to the thread title tho as pointed out above it has to be our team in the 20's on achievement :old:

Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:27 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:

Top post gareth :ayatollah: couldn't agree more,

that aside the only cup swansea have ever won is the welsh cup. and have never had big name stars at their club or the status and likability as cardiff have.

like the above poster said if you were to take out your loan players and stick brendon rogers at tottenham, swansea would be litte more than a wigan side.

the tactics work the style is enjoyable but I neutrally predict within the next 2 seasons without rogers you will be relagated or do a wolves

Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:27 pm

Valley Lad wrote:There's no doubt the Jacks have exceeded everybody's expectations and you have to be impressed by some of their performances and results.
Something that caught my eye today, when they showed stats Jacks had something like 55% possession, but twice as much of the game was played in Swansea's defensive third as Spurs, so stats can be very deceiving.
Having said that it's difficult to think of any of our players getting in their side on current form.

Back to the thread title tho as pointed out above it has to be our team in the 20's on achievement :old:

Turner.
Whittingham.

Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:55 am

one loan player on show today,,and swans were passing the ball 2 managers before br,so to say we would be like wigan is silly realy dont you think??and there is no player you have that would make our first team as they would have to learn to pass and move first,,alltho witts is a good player i give you that but with players like dyer gower and monk on the bench and then dobby out on loan,lita and moore on the bench and even that chelsky lad not even making the side its plain to see we are a long wat ahead of you and you could not get a player in our side

Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:03 am

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:

Caulker has been a key component-he is far better than Monk who is championship quality and had he been playing today Spurs might not have won.

Siggurddson has been a superb signing-take him and his goals out and Swansea would be at least 9points worse off.

The fact is we are all biased about our sides and see the positives in our own and negative in others.

Over past 3 years swansea have not had any major injuries-1 or 2 have had hamstrings/groins etc.....I honestly think if williams, allen and sinclair were out for a few months they would be screwed and whilst wishing harm on dyer (thieving scum bag) i wouldnt wish harm on the others it would be interesting to see what would happen if 5 or 6 of the squad out.

it would be interesting to see any squad that had 5 or 6 players were out :lol:

Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:10 am

swansealad69 wrote:one loan player on show today,,and swans were passing the ball 2 managers before br,so to say we would be like wigan is silly realy dont you think??and there is no player you have that would make our first team as they would have to learn to pass and move first,,alltho witts is a good player i give you that but with players like dyer gower and monk on the bench and then dobby out on loan,lita and moore on the bench and even that chelsky lad not even making the side its plain to see we are a long wat ahead of you and you could not get a player in our side

Monk, tate, lita, gower and moore are average championship players who with good players around them can fit into your side. The big test will come if 3 or 4 of your best players get injured at same time. From memory you lot have not had a big injury crisis for a very long time. Williams only missed 1 game in 4 years. Sinclair has hardly missed a game.
Allen has had a couple of short term knocks along with rangel and britton.

It will be interesting to see which players (if any) leave over summer. The agents will be looking to turn a few heads and the prospect of 40k a week at a club playing in top 6 might see a few going.

Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:25 am

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:
swansealad69 wrote:one loan player on show today,,and swans were passing the ball 2 managers before br,so to say we would be like wigan is silly realy dont you think??and there is no player you have that would make our first team as they would have to learn to pass and move first,,alltho witts is a good player i give you that but with players like dyer gower and monk on the bench and then dobby out on loan,lita and moore on the bench and even that chelsky lad not even making the side its plain to see we are a long wat ahead of you and you could not get a player in our side

Monk, tate, lita, gower and moore are average championship players who with good players around them can fit into your side. The big test will come if 3 or 4 of your best players get injured at same time. From memory you lot have not had a big injury crisis for a very long time. Williams only missed 1 game in 4 years. Sinclair has hardly missed a game.

It will be interesting to see which players (if any) leave over summer. The agents will be looking to turn a few heads and the prospect of 40k a week at a club playing in top 6 might see a few going.

I think it was a fairly shrewd move to keep a core of our championship players around, this season has surpassed expectations, but if we had gone down, that would be the backbone to challenge again in the championship next year. As for players moving on, a lot depends on Rodgers staying in the Summer.

As for the agents and £40k a week wages, I have commented on here before with your posts regarding the Swans financial past, I don't think we will ever go down that path again. The past at the Swans is shambolic as you have regularly stated and I honestly think our current board, plus the fact that the trust have 2 places on there safeguard against that kind of mismanagement.

Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:59 am

scotsjack wrote:
Gareth (Wilts) wrote:

I think it was a fairly shrewd move to keep a core of our championship players around, this season has surpassed expectations, but if we had gone down, that would be the backbone to challenge again in the championship next year. As for players moving on, a lot depends on Rodgers staying in the Summer.

As for the agents and £40k a week wages, I have commented on here before with your posts regarding the Swans financial past, I don't think we will ever go down that path again. The past at the Swans is shambolic as you have regularly stated and I honestly think our current board, plus the fact that the trust have 2 places on there safeguard against that kind of mismanagement.

No one can fault the current board for their financial prudence (we can debate 5p in pound but rules are rules) and I doubt that they will spend millions in the summer. In fairness if they keep the squad together and add a couple more then you lot will probably stay up again. A lot depends on who goes up and down. If qpr stay up they will be more competitive as will bolton. Reading will spend big as will west ham and southampton.

Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:22 am

All fair points. Back to the topic, I can't really argue the point that because of the achievements mentioned by your side in the 1920's that they would be the best Welsh club side. That's far too long a time span, to think that over nearly 90 years since, not one Welsh club has won a major trophy. Here's hoping that the future holds something better.

Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:06 pm

In fairness to the Swansea team yesterday, Harry Redknapp was very complimentary about them, saying that's the way football should be played - was he trying to say to his board that they should go for Rodgers when he himself goes to England?

Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:07 pm

Die Walkure wrote:In fairness to the Swansea team yesterday, Harry Redknapp was very complimentary about them, saying that's the way football should be played - was he trying to say to his board that they should go for Rodgers when he himself goes to England?

Good point.

Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:17 pm

Die Walkure wrote:In fairness to the Swansea team yesterday, Harry Redknapp was very complimentary about them, saying that's the way football should be played - was he trying to say to his board that they should go for Rodgers when he himself goes to England?

It looks that way, at the match yesterday, most Spurs fans were refusing to believe that Redknapp will take the England job, and most Swans fans were refusing to believe that Rodgers will leave so soon. With that in mind, it's almost certain to happen.

Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:29 pm

scotsjack wrote:

It looks that way, at the match yesterday, most Spurs fans were refusing to believe that Redknapp will take the England job, and most Swans fans were refusing to believe that Rodgers will leave so soon. With that in mind, it's almost certain to happen.

Shame if he does, because he's got unfinished business with Swansea, I think.

Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:47 pm

Nedd Glas wrote:
scotsjack wrote:

Shame if he does, because he's got unfinished business with Swansea, I think.

I hope he stays at least another season, the more I think about it though, Spurs we be a good fit for him. Of course they like to win but the fans up there can accept losing as long as they are playing good football. It'd be interesting to see how Rodgers got along with a bigger budget. The fact that he left Watford for Reading and only lasted 6 months gives me hope that he'll stick around for a little while yet. He openly admits that it was a big mistake.

Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:01 pm

swansealad69 wrote:Thing is lets face it spurs are a good side and yes we play to our system,and wile pepole [mainly cvardiff fans]will say its boring and negative it has taken us to the premier and all the pundits are talking about us playing football the right way ,,,

I know it's best to blame us (Cardiff fans) for saying you play boring football. But I know loads from Pembs/Carms area who have gone up to your (council) stadium to watch thier team (in your end), and they all came away sayin the same thing. They are fans who don't get to see the team they support much so have love te fact that they get the chance as its just down the road, but most wish they hadn't bothered. And also a few jack season ticket holders I know (not only this year), have said they much rathered the football in the championship.

Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:45 pm

Got to say swansealad that none of our players would want to put on that shirt of yours :lol: but I bet you are hoping all this bragging dosent come and bite you on the Ass.
But for sure let's remember that for all your fantastic we make Barcelonna look like Wimbledon you have lost your last two games conceding 5 and scoring 1 .
But watching last night for all your possession you did not create anything where Spurs was battering your goalmouth.

Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:51 pm

Not being Biased 8-)

1-ccfc 1927
2-ccfc 1925
3-ccfc 1969
4-ccfc 1954
5-ccfc 2008

fu## off jack you were nothing back in the day.