Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Who is the greatest "Number 10" ever?

Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:23 pm

Not necessarily a wearer of the number itself, but one who plays in the attacking mid, second strker, trequartista role, e.g Zidane, Bergkamp, Totti etc, the man who can change the game in the blink of an eye.

As a pure number 10, it's between Ronaldinho and Zidane for me. Absolutely untouchable at their peak, Rivaldo deserves a shout as well, as he gets a lot of stick for his antics against Turkey in 2002, but at Barcelona he was jaw dropping and won WPOTY.

Who do you reckon is the greatest?

Re: Who is the greatest "Number 10" ever?

Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:26 pm

Maradona by a country mile mate

Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:26 pm

Ronaldinho. The way he made everything look so easy always baffled me, as when he was in his priime (2004/05/06) I was only just getting into football and growing up you love seeing someone like that.

Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:51 pm

thehumblegringo wrote:Maradona by a country mile mate

totally agree, in 1986 world cup he was unplayable and pretty much won the world cup on his own only bout 2 other decent players in the side the rest were cloggers.....great player ...and ive got a signed jersey.!!

Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:52 pm

Diego Armando Maradona. Nobody comes close. Wayward genius :ayatollah:

Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:00 pm

Maradona. (hand of god) :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:08 pm

Downing Street...... :sunny:

Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:24 pm

Barry John

Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:47 am

Zico, he destroyed Liverpool's euro beaters single handedly in a world club cup final for Flamengo 3-0. Bloody enjoyed that. 8-) Best one-off performance I have ever seen (apart from Robin Friday against Luton Town of course ;) ).

Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:29 pm

barry boy wrote:Barry John
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:38 pm

welshcitydragon wrote:
barry boy wrote:Barry John
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

The dutch master - Johan Cruyff.

Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:40 pm

DIEGO MARADONA without doubt no other player comes close :ayatollah:

Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:51 pm

I remember that World Club Championship match and yeah Zico was incredible and tortured a well drilled Liverpool defence,Hansen and co.Hard to argue with Maradona but i always loved Bergkamp.The most stylish and modest footballer i've ever seen.The goals he scored against Leicester and then the Argies i think it was,no other player could have scored.

Big shout out for Mark Hughes too.Not a great goalscorer but a scorer of great goals and incredibly vital ones at that.

Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:05 pm

d20 wrote:
thehumblegringo wrote:Maradona by a country mile mate

totally agree, in 1986 world cup he was unplayable and pretty much won the world cup on his own only bout 2 other decent players in the side the rest were cloggers.....great player ...and ive got a signed jersey.!!

Agree Maradona in 1986 was absolutely awesome, the guy won the world cup for the argies almost singlehandedly

Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:14 pm

Messi for me. I think Messi can be classed as a number 10 as he isn't really an out and out striker. In my opinion, Messi has already surpassed Maradona, Pele, Cruyff etc as the greatest footballer ever.

Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:30 pm

without a shadow of doubt PELE :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:33 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:Messi for me. I think Messi can be classed as a number 10 as he isn't really an out and out striker. In my opinion, Messi has already surpassed Maradona, Pele, Cruyff etc as the greatest footballer ever.

Eh, true I guess.

Maybe I should have said no Maradona or Messi votes :lol: They are sublime, but often play/played as a wide forward cutting in. A true 10 would be Bergkamp or Zidane, someone who played almost their whole career in that role.

Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:37 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:Messi for me. I think Messi can be classed as a number 10 as he isn't really an out and out striker. In my opinion, Messi has already surpassed Maradona, Pele, Cruyff etc as the greatest footballer ever.

MESSI for Barcelona = World Class Messi for Argentina = Cannot emulate what he does at Barcelona

Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:44 pm

The Lad wrote:

Eh, true I guess.

Maybe I should have said no Maradona or Messi votes :lol: They are sublime, but often play/played as a wide forward cutting in. A true 10 would be Bergkamp or Zidane, someone who played almost their whole career in that role.

Fair enough, in that case I would have to say Bergkamp. He made everything look so effortless and easy and he made all the players around him look great. I'm pretty sure Zidane spent a big part of his career playing as a central midfielder and not just off the striker, so I'm not sure he can be counted as a true number 10?

Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:55 pm

Cantona needs a mention too.

Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:29 pm

Arwel Thomas :D

Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:11 pm

The Lad wrote:Not necessarily a wearer of the number itself, but one who plays in the attacking mid, second strker, trequartista role, e.g Zidane, Bergkamp, Totti etc, the man who can change the game in the blink of an eye.

As a pure number 10, it's between Ronaldinho and Zidane for me. Absolutely untouchable at their peak, Rivaldo deserves a shout as well, as he gets a lot of stick for his antics against Turkey in 2002, but at Barcelona he was jaw dropping and won WPOTY.

Maggie thatcher :?

Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:42 pm

Canton stand baz wrote:
The Lad wrote:Not necessarily a wearer of the number itself, but one who plays in the attacking mid, second strker, trequartista role, e.g Zidane, Bergkamp, Totti etc, the man who can change the game in the blink of an eye.

Maggie thatcher :?

:lol: :lol: :lol: oooh controversial :lol:

Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:07 pm

This will be an age thing. In my Early 40's so its Maradonna for me.

Single handed won a world cup, took a 2nd division team (or lowly 1st div) to win the Italian League.

Messi plays his club football with one of the most dominant teams of the recent era, he hasn't done it yet (very young still) at international level.