Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

I REALLY FEEL SORRY FOR CRAIG CONWAY

Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:01 pm

Constantly leaving him out of the team doesn't do much for his morale or the morale of the team in general. I personally think it gives out the message that you can play poor and still stay in the team. He is the only genuine width we have at the club and we have been crying out for this in the last 4 home games and he hasn't been giving a chance to start.

I really feel sorry for the lad....I would really like a manager who picks players on merit and not go with their favourites all the time. If a player doesn't perform for a length of time, they should get dropped and then this should increase their hunger to get back into the team, basic management in my opinion. We had this with Dave Jones and this is continuing with Malky Mackay.

I'm still behind the team 100% and I believe he can still turn this around, but the honeymoon period is well and truly over for our new manager....

On another note, 4-5-1 is perfect away from home. Please start 4-4-2 at home or we will blow an outside chance in the play-offs.

Re: I REALLY FEEL SORRY FOR CRAIG CONWAY

Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:35 pm

Good post. He had 3/4very good games scoring against Southampton & Portsmouth, Penalty against Palace and he got dropped, not to be seen since except for a couple of 15 minute cameo performances. If we didn't sign width in Jan lets use the width re have got. I would also like to see Kadeem get a run out for 15-20 mins off the bench. Also agree re the formation. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:43 pm

We went to 442 at home a while back and people wanted to go back to 451 - he can't win in that respect.

Conway had weeks in the team himself when he went off the boil. He came back in and as said had a few good games then got dropped. I can't quite work that bit out to be honest.

Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:29 pm

What does Conway have to do to get a game???

It's crazy hardly playing him at all. If Cowie was fit today, Conway probably wouldn't of even been on the bench.

Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:04 pm

Like we've all said, 4-5-1 is perfect away from home, but surely at home we must go for it!
Ok. 4-5-1 is a formation we can play at home but, we need our midfielders making runs beyond the strikers.
Fans r beginning to get on kenny's back. Wot hope av he got when balls r fizzed into him with to centre halfs up his arse, and no1 to feed off his knock downs.
Surely at home, we need our opposing centre halfs markin 2 forwards! Also, our full backs r shocking goin forward, non entity! But give them a chance and play with wingers and allow them to push forward in partnership.
Last of all. Gunarsson in the advanced midfield role don't work. Whitts role all day!!

Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:10 pm

North Wales Blue wrote:Like we've all said, 4-5-1 is perfect away from home, but surely at home we must go for it!
Ok. 4-5-1 is a formation we can play at home but, we need our midfielders making runs beyond the strikers.
Fans r beginning to get on kenny's back. Wot hope av he got when balls r fizzed into him with to centre halfs up his arse, and no1 to feed off his knock downs.
Surely at home, we need our opposing centre halfs markin 2 forwards! Also, our full backs r shocking goin forward, non entity! But give them a chance and play with wingers and allow them to push forward in partnership.
Last of all. Gunarsson in the advanced midfield role don't work. Whitts role all day!!

We can play 451 at home, but we need a defensive midfield which would enable the midfield to attack.

Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:36 pm

We can play 451 at home, but we need a defensive midfield which would enable the midfield to attack.[/quote]

U cannot b serious!!!!
Mcphail, whitts(?) and gunarsson can play there. Our problem is natural width. Width which will allow our fullbacks to support and get forward. And a midfield duo with the mutual understanding of 1 to sit and 1 to gamble! As it stands, all 5 r doin f**k all! All 7 including fullbacks!!

Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:48 pm

North Wales Blue wrote:We can play 451 at home, but we need a defensive midfield which would enable the midfield to attack.

U cannot b serious!!!!
Mcphail, whitts(?) and gunarsson can play there. Our problem is natural width. Width which will allow our fullbacks to support and get forward. And a midfield duo with the mutual understanding of 1 to sit and 1 to gamble! As it stands, all 5 r doin f**k all! All 7 including fullbacks!![/quote]
Must have missed the memo that said any one of those three were defensive midfielders, because they clearly f*cking aren't.

Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:00 am

Don't u think Mcphail is a defensive midfielder? Surely u agree our 2 wide men r non existent as they r not wingers! There's just no balance to our midfield. Defensive midfield is the least of our problems. We lack creativity simply because lack of width, not defensive midfield.

Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:51 am

I'm starting to lose patience with the same crap we are playing week in, week out. We have Mc Naughton thinking he's Messi but can't pass a ball five yards to a teammate and then gets caught upfield when he inevitably gives it away [his two dribbles into touch yesterday were shockingly poor], Whittingham who seems to have forgotten how to hit a pass or cross the halfway line, the two centre backs pumping long balls that Miller has no chance of winning, Gunnarsson/Cowie/Lawrence/McPhail/any other midfielder all playing in the same position and Rudy who mistimes his jumps regularly or falls over - its becoming a joke and I've left out a few others recent "contributions". There is no creativity, no pace, no penetration and worst of all NOBODY takes responsibility for shooting - Miller, Mason, McNaughton, Whitts, Gunnarsson all had clear shooting opportunities yesterday and chose to take an extra touch which resulted in Millwall clearing their lines easily. Watching us sometimes you could think we are 5-0 up with the number of passes sideways and backwards when the reality of it is, we haven't worked the opposition goalkeeper the whole game. On the rare occasions we do get in decent positions down the flanks, there is never anybody in the box or looking for the drop down from defensive headers from set pieces. The midfield plays at walking pace more often than not and there is just no killer instinct in this team.

I hate criticising us because at times we do pass the ball beautifully and we have scored some great team goals this season, but since the CC Final, we have been dire in every respect. No matter what I'll be there, but its getting to the point where I can understand why people are questioning what Malky is doing - I'm not a great fan of Conways as too often his final ball is poor, but he does inject some urgency into our play and was playing well when he was dropped. Yes, it should have been a goal yesterday, but Malky can't keeping blaming the officials for the continued poor performances game in, game out - I fear DJ syndrome is starting to take hold with stubborness on team selection and its everybody's fault but ours type quotes beginning to appear. I can handle us losing games, but I want to see us have a go at the opposition. The last few games have been memorable only for how poor we have been.

Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:22 am

Bluebird for life, WHAT A TOP POST its harder to get out of this side than in to it :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:50 pm

North Wales Blue wrote:Constantly leaving him out of the team doesn't do much for his morale or the morale of the team in general. I personally think it gives out the message that you can play poor and still stay in the team. He is the only genuine width we have at the club and we have been crying out for this in the last 4 home games and he hasn't been giving a chance to start.

I really feel sorry for the lad....I would really like a manager who picks players on merit and not go with their favourites all the time. If a player doesn't perform for a length of time, they should get dropped and then this should increase their hunger to get back into the team, basic management in my opinion. We had this with Dave Jones and this is continuing with Malky Mackay.

I'm still behind the team 100% and I believe he can still turn this around, but the honeymoon period is well and truly over for our new manager....

On another note, 4-5-1 is perfect away from home. Please start 4-4-2 at home or we will blow an outside chance in the play-offs.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :old: