Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Five ways to save our season

Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:22 pm

How to save our season

See if you agree with my list of five ways to save our season over the last six games. :ayatollah:

Re: Five ways to save our season

Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:40 pm

Agree on McNaughton, not convinced Blake is the answer. With Mackay's tactics, full backs need to get forward. Don't think Blake is as good at that, not is his distribution particularly good.

Formation, again, you're acting as if formations are rigid. Chelsea play 4-5-1 which becomes a 4-3-3 when attacking. Our problem is we've not broken from midfield particularly well to enable that. Miller makes runs to draw defenders away, nobody from midfield is taking advantage of the gaps. Plus teams are dropping pretty deep against us.

Kiss has been ill for one thing recently, difficult to see who to drop. Whitts is Whitts, McPhail provides the control in there, Gunnarsson also pulls strings. I think Kiss is good defensively, doesn't offer as much going forward.

Parkin - hmm, no. Our tactics require a striker who is mobile. The only way Parkin would be mobile would be if we had a portable all you can eat buffet behind each goal. Gestede is raw, but I think for his first season in the CHmap he's done an ok job in his role, which has been hampered by niggling hamstring injuries.

Your point about the fans is spot on. Too many believe we should roll all teams over, have a divine right to be promoted. It's the first season under Mackay with massive changes, our over achievements so far this season mean their expectations are raised too high.

Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:45 pm

Good points Nerd.

Unless there is someone in the reserves or the youth then I think Darcy is the best right back we have currently. Parkin is by no means a long term solution but I think he would be a good option for the last six games, something a bit different and a player who really has a point to prove.

Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:55 pm

IMO SuperKev had a good game today, and made up for a few mistakes in recent weeks.

Formation at home needs a change. Need to be more positive whilst giving certain players like Mason and Gunnar a rest. Gunnar has been pants lately IMO.

Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:23 pm

Play 4-4-2 (especially at home) & Give Kenny a strike partner because at the moment without one he's a waste of a player.

Rotate the team more (use people like Conway, Kiss, Ralls, Earnie & Darcy)

Drop Lawrence (Don't see what he offers TBH)

Play with more width (Give Kadeem Harris a chance) & attack the full backs

SHOOOOOOOT FFS (stop playing safe & passing sideways or backwards)

Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:46 am

NickPenarth wrote:Play 4-4-2 (especially at home) & Give Kenny a strike partner because at the moment without one he's a waste of a player.

Rotate the team more (use people like Conway, Kiss, Ralls, Earnie & Darcy)

Drop Lawrence (Don't see what he offers TBH)

Play with more width (Give Kadeem Harris a chance) & attack the full backs

SHOOOOOOOT FFS (stop playing safe & passing sideways or backwards)

I agree with most of what you say, although I do quite like Lawrence. I think his passing is very decent. I would like to see Kiss get a game on the weekend though.

Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:02 pm

Nerd is correct as having a 4-5-1 formation can easily transform into a 4-3-3 BUT in my opinion you need two quick wide-men for that sort of system (we have Conway, who doesn't play enough)
Chelsea, yesterday, played Sturridge and Kalou in those positions, I agree they're not the best coming back but going forward, Chelsea are dangerous.

Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:26 pm

SCORE SUM GOALS AND DO NOT CONCEED EVERYTIME WE TAKE THE LEAD. SIMPLES

Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:36 pm

FOOTSOLDIER wrote:SCORE SUM GOALS AND DO NOT CONCEED EVERYTIME WE TAKE THE LEAD. SIMPLES

I wish it was that Simple
When we go ahead we seem to naturally drop 20 yards deeper which Invites pressure but most teams do the same
They do say that you're most vulnerable when you've just scored

Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:09 pm

FOOTSOLDIER wrote:SCORE SUM GOALS AND DO NOT CONCEED EVERYTIME WE TAKE THE LEAD. SIMPLES

Well yes, but it's not that easy is it! Otherwise we'd be in the Champions League.

Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:12 pm

eighty_8 wrote:Nerd is correct as having a 4-5-1 formation can easily transform into a 4-3-3 BUT in my opinion you need two quick wide-men for that sort of system (we have Conway, who doesn't play enough)
Chelsea, yesterday, played Sturridge and Kalou in those positions, I agree they're not the best coming back but going forward, Chelsea are dangerous.

Agree about Conway. Early in the season both he and Cowie were supporting Miller. We need that back, along with one breaking from central midfield. The quality of ball in from our full backs when attacking is also poor.

Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:35 pm

I agree with most of the 5 points apart from where you say about Jon Parkin :!:

Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:18 pm

Die Walkure wrote:I agree with most of the 5 points apart from where you say about Jon Parkin :!:

I just think the beast is worth a go. None of our strikers are scoring goals, and he is albeit at a lower level. Nothing to lose for these six games now, if it doesn't work then we'll get someone in for next season.