Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: " MALKY/OUR OWNERS/MILLER "

Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:35 pm

Yes I'd be happy as owner.

Malky was not in any sense of the idea, hired to get us promoted this season. No manager would take the job under that criteria. But he has brought in youthful players that have shown great promise and we are difficult to beat.

Miller needs wingers and support to get the best out of him, at the moment he has neither.

Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:37 pm

Let's be fair to Miller, yes he's done some mistakes in the last few games but today the service was terrible, his movement was good but some of the passing was shocking.

Malky - When DJ started climbing the table he'd had his own squad to work with, Malky hasn't got this, getting rid of the waste wil help us, next season we will be strong.

Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:41 pm

I think questions have to be asked. There is no doubt that the owners are paying money towards the debts and that is much appreciated but being 2 points off the top of the table come the New Year and with the chance to strengthen things were done on the cheap. The alleged deals that did not take place. No one knows the truth there but its been a disappointing second half of the season in the league. All our main competitors strengthened and when we were crying out for a bit of width and a goalscorer we did nothing.

If Noone was wanted that badly why did the club only initially offer 400K? Likewise with Sordell, if he was wanted why leave it until the last 5/6 hours to try and sign a player when other teams are panicking buying.

Unfortunately we are a bit of a predictable team and now the opposition have worked us out. We have no plane B. No rotation, no new ideas.

Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:42 pm

RFMH wrote:Yes I'd be happy as owner.

Malky was not in any sense of the idea, hired to get us promoted this season. No manager would take the job under that criteria. But he has brought in youthful players that have shown great promise and we are difficult to beat.

Miller needs wingers and support to get the best out of him, at the moment he has neither.

So why has Miller not got wingers and support ?

Malky was allowed millions if he wanted it, so he says.

Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:47 pm

Maybe the right ones weren't available.

Like I say I don't think Malky was desperate to get us promoted this season, nor was it his job description. Dave Jones was given 6 years, Malky shouldn't be expected to stroll it in one as he is a vastly less experiences manager.

Conway I think should be given more time.

When we went on a bad run earlier in the season (around Peteborough away time) we went back to what worked

Cowie Gunnarson Kiss Whitts Conway
Miller

I'm not sure why Malky is against returning to this, I guess it might be because we are not losing so he doesn't need to make us hard to beat.

Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:56 pm

We were 2 points off top spot in late Janaury. The talk everywhere is Mackay is 'rebuilding' for next season. Maybe it would have been an idea rebuild when you're 2nd as opposed to 10th - 13th in the league.

Two, reaonably decent pacy players would have kept us up there with the leaders.

It's a crying shame, and totally inexplicable.

Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:57 pm

A Quiet Monkfish wrote:We were 2 points off top spot in late Janaury. The talk everywhere is Mackay is 'rebuilding' for next season. Maybe it would have been an idea rebuild when you're 2nd as opposed to 10th - 13th in the league.

Two, reaonably decent pacy players would have kept us up there with the leaders.

I have to agree with you, I am just stunned/gutted they have allowed everything to just go to waste.

Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:15 pm

Agree, All our competitors pushed on in January and strengthened their squads. We did nothing. We got worked out by a lot of teams and have unfortunately slipped since.

Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:28 pm

IM HAPPY! :ayatollah:

Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:40 pm

Spending all that money certainly helped West Ham :lol:

Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:40 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
A Quiet Monkfish wrote:We were 2 points off top spot in late Janaury. The talk everywhere is Mackay is 'rebuilding' for next season. Maybe it would have been an idea rebuild when you're 2nd as opposed to 10th - 13th in the league.

I have to agree with you, I am just stunned/gutted they have allowed everything to just go to waste.

I'm gobsmacked. This was a great chance and it looks like we have blown it. Sorry but businesses dont operate this way.

Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:42 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

I'm gobsmacked. This was a great chance and it looks like we have blown it. Sorry but businesses dont operate this way.

Do businesses gamble by throwing money they haven't got around in the hope of a windfall?

Did you criticise Ridsdale for doing so?

Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:43 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

businesses dont operate this way?? what throw money willy nilly at something and get further into debt cos thats what would happen if we didnt make it :?:
not sure if some of you notice, but we aint barcalona, cardiff city have to live within there means. and build a squad within a budget. If I was the malaysians i would just say f**k it! some fans are never happy

Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:45 pm

I don't understand Malky's tactics at present, most teams know we will overload the midfield so they match up.
The onus is on us at home to be more positive, with just Miller up front visiting know we are going to be reluctant to get it forward early because he's isolated also, because he's not big enough to win lots of ball played up to him.
Conway MUST start at home, in both the Burnley game and today he has given us an outlet, I'm not his biggest fan but he at least gives us width, can cross the ball and Taylor seems to join in much more with Conway on the pitch.

My biggest gripe today though...... (other than our perfectly legitimate goal) Why the fupp didn't we shoot more from around edge of the box, Mason on at least 3 occasions, Gunnar & Whitts (of all people) all had good opportunities to test Taylor but chose not to. If you don't shoot you don't score!

Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:46 pm

nerd wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Do businesses gamble by throwing money they haven't got around in the hope of a windfall?

But they have the money and yes businesses do gamble its called a calculated risk.

And no I did not criticise Ridsdale....well not until the Golden Ticket scam

Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:31 pm

Didn't take the likes of Brendan Rodgers, Paul Lambert, Ian Holloway long to get their clubs promoted and it looks like you can add Nigel Adkins to that list this season. Also Brendon Rodgers showed you don't necessarily need wealthy owners. It's being a good manager that counts. Perhaps Malky is not what a lot of you on here have made him out to be since he joined us. I'd much rather have a good manager even if he doesn't do the ayatollah and clenched fists salutes to the fans. As is now being proved, doing those two things might make you popular but doesn't necessarily mean you are a good manager. The fickle fans amongst us(and we have more than our fair share as most if not all clubs do) will soon turn against Malky if we are not top six at least next season.

Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:11 pm

Citysince1964 wrote:Didn't take the likes of Brendan Rodgers, Paul Lambert, Ian Holloway long to get their clubs promoted and it looks like you can add Nigel Adkins to that list this season. Also Brendon Rodgers showed you don't necessarily need wealthy owners. It's being a good manager that counts. Perhaps Malky is not what a lot of you on here have made him out to be since he joined us. I'd much rather have a good manager even if he doesn't do the ayatollah and clenched fists salutes to the fans. As is now being proved, doing those two things might make you popular but doesn't necessarily mean you are a good manager. The fickle fans amongst us(and we have more than our fair share as most if not all clubs do) will soon turn against Malky if we are not top six at least next season.

Difference is all of those managers had settled squads when they took over. All they had to do was make a few signings to fix any problems and give them fresh momentum.

Malky's had to rebuild the entire first team squad so it shouldn't be until at least next season that he;s judged.

Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:16 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
nerd wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

But they have the money and yes businesses do gamble its called a calculated risk.

They have the money for the right players. If the players Malky on loan were no-goers due to loan fee, clauses, then they were no-goers.

Calculated risk? That's why we had Bywater, Brown and Samuel last season. We're being bankrolled by the Malaysians, if Malky couldn't get his top targets on loan, then don't waste money dropping down the list when we will be churning over the squad in summer.

Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:21 pm

nerd wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:
nerd wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

They have the money for the right players. If the players Malky on loan were no-goers due to loan fee, clauses, then they were no-goers.

Calculated risk? That's why we had Bywater, Brown and Samuel last season. We're being bankrolled by the Malaysians, if Malky couldn't get his top targets on loan, then don't waste money dropping down the list when we will be churning over the squad in summer.

Bywater, Brown and Samuel were desperate buys, remember Heaton and Marshall were injured.

This season we could have had Roberts, Sordell and Noone....just did not quite bid enough i.e calculated risk.

Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:24 pm

bridgendbluebird30 wrote:Agree, All our competitors pushed on in January and strengthened their squads. We did nothing. We got worked out by a lot of teams and have unfortunately slipped since.

You say "all" our competitors pushed on and strengthened their squads. Some did , but can you list all the strengthening players "all" our competitors signed to support your argument?

Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:33 pm

since62 wrote:
bridgendbluebird30 wrote:Agree, All our competitors pushed on in January and strengthened their squads. We did nothing. We got worked out by a lot of teams and have unfortunately slipped since.

You say "all" our competitors pushed on and strengthened their squads. Some did , but can you list all the strengthening players "all" our competitors signed to support your argument?

That is just being pedantic. Most of us know which teams strengthened and with who, so there was no need for the poster to list ''all'' the players he is alluding to.

Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:37 pm

We were right in amongst it going into the January transfer window and had a chance of automatic promotion. If we had just got in a couple of quality players we would now be up there with Southampton, Reading and West Ham. We can compete with the top teams. We've done the double over Reading, got 4 points off Southampton and won at West Ham.

Every season going into the January transfer window, there are a selection of teams fighting for automatic promotion and the teams that strengthen, tend to get promotion. Southampton, Reading and West Ham all strengthened. We didn't. We did get Kadeem Harris and Elliot Parish in but both haven't even made their debut yet.

The last 13 games in the league, we have averaged less than a point a game! That's shocking. Malky said he had the finances available but I still don't understand how he failed to get someone in.

We can still get play offs though. West Ham semi final! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:39 pm

milly44 wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

businesses dont operate this way?? what throw money willy nilly at something and get further into debt cos thats what would happen if we didnt make it :?:
not sure if some of you notice, but we aint barcalona, cardiff city have to live within there means. and build a squad within a budget. If I was the malaysians i would just say f**k it! some fans are never happy

Funny we were £24 mill in debt, were now £72 mill debt and struggling, good business Milly ?

Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:26 pm

I dont know the facts and figures, they dont really interest me Annis. But surely throwing more money at something makes the problem worse?
ship out in the summer to ship in and live within a budget :ayatollah:

Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:48 am

milly44 wrote:I dont know the facts and figures, they dont really interest me Annis. But surely throwing more money at something makes the problem worse?
ship out in the summer to ship in and live within a budget :ayatollah:

Well Milly, that sounds the sensible way but now and then you have to look at the situation and consider a calculated risk. We were in that situation. I personally felt we had enough already with the reserves but MM felt differently. Hence why I am now surprised he did not bring in others.

The question I would like to ask is why he did not. He said he had support from the board so why did we not see any new players come in? We all know who we were chasing, the money was available so why was nothing completed?

Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:27 am

since62 wrote:

Here are the signings made by the top 6 clubs since January;

Southampton;

Billy Sharp
Tandanari Lee
Yago Falque

Reading;

Matthew Connolly
Tomas Cywka
Jason Roberts
Karl Sheppard
Benik Afobe
Hayden Mullins

West Ham;

Nicky Maynard
Ravel Morrison
Ricardo Vaz Te
Joe Dixon
George John
Steven Henderson

Birmingham;

Caleb Folan
Cian Hughton
Peter Ramage
Erik Husselklepp

Blackpool;

Roman Bednar
Nouha Dicko
John Fleck
Danny Wilson
Steven Dobbie

Brighton;

Gonzalo Reyes
Sam Vokes
Ben Dickenson
Abdou Razak.

Looks like our competitors managed to find players they thought good enough to add to thier squads and non of these players cost as much as the £3m we reportedly bid for Sordell. Nicky Maynard at £2m and Billy Sharp at £1.8m being the reported fees.

I think it's difficult to argue that our competitors did push on in January and during the loan window and we have been left behind.

Both on and off the pitch.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:42 am

Thanks for your post Castleblue. If we were mid table in January and had nothing to play for then I would suggest that there would not be a great need to strengthen at that time but when you are sitting 2 points off the top of the table why not re enforce like ALL of your competitors to try and stay in the promotion race particularly when we have a small squad and weaknesses in certain area (i.e. out and out goalscorer/winger.)

For the price I would say both Maynard and Sharp were bargain buys. The point I was making was that we needed to kick on and strengthen when we had the opportunity. If we had made the alleged bids as suggested it would not have broken the bank to bring in a few signings prior to the last 5/6 hours when those deals were trying to be finalised. We did not strengthen and it caught up with us. It is a fact that our competitors did strengthen.