Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game

Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:33 pm

Hi,

Off on holiday soon and someone on here mentioned this book as one of Malkys inspirations.

Is it any good and do i need to know anything about baseball ?

All I know about baseball is it's not the stuff we play down Roath rec :o

Appreciate any feedback.

Re: Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game

Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:49 pm

The film is very good - Brad Pitt was up for an Oscar!

Can't see how it works for football.

Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:13 pm

Good read and good film, you don't need to know nothing about baseball to understand it :-).

Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:28 pm

llan bluebird wrote:Hi,

Off on holiday soon and someone on here mentioned this book as one of Malkys inspirations.

Is it any good and do i need to know anything about baseball ?

All I know about baseball is it's not the stuff we play down Roath rec :o

Appreciate any feedback.

I have not seen the movie but I am a huge baseball fan, that's very interesting about Malky and it makes perfect sense. Moneyball (or Sabermetrics, as it is known) is the art of using undervauled stats to purchase undervauled players. For example a lot of power, or home runs (hitting the ball over the fence) earns players huge contracts, while simply hitting the ball and reaching base safely a large percantage of the time is valuable on the field but does not pay as well.

So the A's bought up players who did the later. This could explain some of Malky's moves. Is he avoiding high contract guys on purpose and spending on players who are better at undervalued stats? Very interesting. I wish I knew enough about football to study this.

Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:18 pm

I don't think the same applies to football.

They signed players that were past their prime, but you can do they in baseball and still get results.

Could you apply that to a 90 min team sport?

Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:02 am

Big Boss Man wrote:I don't think the same applies to football.

They signed players that were past their prime, but you can do they in baseball and still get results.

Could you apply that to a 90 min team sport?

No the A's had young talent as well. I have not seen the movie so I am certain there was some artistic liscense taken with what actually happened. Those teams were famous for their young pitching and marginal role players like Scott Hatteburg.

Is there an unusual amount of money spent on goal scorers? Is ball control an undervalued stat? The idea is to pay for the stats that help but don't kill the wallet.