Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Malcky has used only 12 players in his last six line-ups."

Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:35 am

Malcky has used only 12 players in his last six line-ups.

And this has happened a lot over the season ?

Hmm any comments/opinions ?

Re: " Malcky has used only 12 players in his last six line-ups."

Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:43 am

And how many of the 12 are also Scottish ??? :ayatollah: ;) :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:14 am

This 4-5-1 formation is'nt the answer, at this stage of the season. We are playing far to conservatively, creating very few chances. We all know we need wins to get in the playoff positions, but the way we set up at the moment, i ca'nt see where a win is going to come from. Come on Malky, take a gamble.

Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:14 am

Forever Blue wrote:Malcky has used only 12 players in his last six line-ups.

I can't believe we're not winning more games if he is starting 12 players!

:ayatollah:

Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:25 am

He's using his core of trusted players, like any new manager would....he'll offload (or try to) a lot of the deadwood players this summer and fully expect to see an influx of pacy and creative types coming in. He's changed the ethos of the club, got them playing for him, us and the shirt....he's got the workhorses in, next comes the flair (which he tried to do in january, just didnt happen)

Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:33 am

Well apart from Conway, Kiss & Mcphail the rest of the bench are just fringe players who don't really possess a lot of quality to be fair, or are either far too inexperienced! So he hasn't really got much choice to be honest. I'm actually quite disappointed we haven't used Ralls or Conway much lately though as they were an integral part of our early season success.

Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:39 am

Merlin wrote:

Well apart from Conway, Kiss & Mcphail the rest of the bench are just fringe players who don't really possess a lot of quality to be fair, or are either far too inexperienced! So he hasn't really got much choice to be honest. I'm actually quite disappointed we haven't used Ralls or Conway much lately though as they were an integral part of our early season success.

Good post Merlin

Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:51 am

Its beginning to fall into place the plan.

MM has built a a team of work horses that have served him well up till the business end of the season. The next step is to bring in the quality which according to rumours he tried this January. I'm beginning to think that he had his hands tied here as he has too much dead wood within the squad. If this dead wood he inherited was not here then just perhaps we would have seen the quality arrive in January.

Hopefully some of this dead wood will be removed after this season and we will see some quality come in. Summer is always a better time to go and get it.

MM had quality at Watford in the likes of Sordell, Graham and Buckley. His problem was he was always going to lose them at a place like Vicarage Raod. Cardiff is a more of an attraction, its why we can get players like Bothroyd, Chopra, Koumas and Bellamy. I do believe the quality will want to stay once we have them.

Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:52 am

I am surprised that we have played 'safe' at home and not been more adventurous. Against Coventry we played 4-5-1, no out and out striker. We need to be winning our home matches particularly against the weaker teams. Lets be positive, attack, score goals and win matches. When we scored against Coventry you knew without the second goal we were going to be vulnerable. We seem to be creating pressure on ourselves by not taking the game by the scruff of the neck, be attack minded and killing games off.

Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:54 am

This does not supprise me at all hence why we have been playing total gash for months (bar the brum game where he played some width for the 1st time EVER) :lol:

Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:34 am

Whether the fringe players (Kiss, Rudy, Ralls, Kadeem, Gerrard, Earnie, Darcy) are good enough or not, the team needs to be rotated a bit more as certain players look knackered or out of form.

Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:00 am

bridgendbluebird30 wrote:I am surprised that we have played 'safe' at home and not been more adventurous. Against Coventry we played 4-5-1, no out and out striker. We need to be winning our home matches particularly against the weaker teams. Lets be positive, attack, score goals and win matches. When we scored against Coventry you knew without the second goal we were going to be vulnerable. We seem to be creating pressure on ourselves by not taking the game by the scruff of the neck, be attack minded and killing games off.

This ^^^^ Shit or bust time. Need to go 4-3-3.

Marshall

McNaughton
Hudson
Turner
Taylor

Whittingham
McPhail
Kiss (need some bite in midfield)

Conway (need some width)
Miller
Mason

Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:02 am

Agree, players who are not in the normal mix step up their game when they come in to prove a point. Think Malky has missed a trick there.

Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:08 am

Only once since our return to the Championship have we had to play 8 League games in one month and that was December 2007. If nothing else it does provide an opportunity to compare how the manager then used his squad compared to MM.

During the fixtures in December 2007 only 1 player played every minute of every game, Schmeichel, during March 2012 6 players played every minute of every game, Marshall, Taylor, Hudson, Turner, Whitts, Mason. It would have been 7 but Kev was subsituted by Darcy with 1 minute left in a game.Gunnarson also played 615 minutes only 15 less than the maximum.

In December 2007 besides Schmeichel only Steve McPhail played more than 600 minutes, 615 in total after being subbed on 75 minutes in one game. Next in line was Whitts who played 549 minutes in total from the 8 matches. After him there were 3 players who played in 7 matches, 540 minutes, Johnson, Ledley and Parry. Each of these players were rested for 1 game.

During December 2007 the fullback roles were shared between Macnaughton, Gunter and Capaldi with 530,450 and 386 minutes respectively. The CB positions were shared between Johnson, Loovens and Purse with 540,540 and 214 minutes respectively.

Why players like Hudson and Turner have had to play every minute this month can only be answered by MM, but when we had Gerrard, who was good enough to play in the Carling Cup Semi Final, Keinan who was good enough to play nearly half the games last season. Blake, Quinn, Kev it does beg the question. There has been a distinct lack of rotation by MM.

People will say that they are not good enough but in December 2007 Steve MacClean played in all 8 games, mainly as a sub, but managed 286 minutes. How good was he? DJ still used him shortly before shipping him out to rotate, Thompson, Hasslebaink, Parry and Fowler. Although Fowler was only used as a last minue sub.

For me MM has over played our players this month and that for me has been his biggest mistake since arriving as manager.

Let's hope it doesn't catch up with the players in the last month of the season.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:01 pm

Martyn1963 wrote:And how many of the 12 are also Scottish ??? :ayatollah: ;) :ayatollah:

Do you honestly think that makes any difference at all?

Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:00 pm

if you read echo think reason maybe his backroom staff they analyze everything to do with fitness and if they say players are ok then they play! sounds strange but cant think of anyother reason its not as if we had won games to keep settled side!
and on that note next season whilst think we will have good season i am afraid because of malkies ways we will not sign the proverble 20 goal a season striker we need to go that one step further and thats blatently been our failing this season!

Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:30 pm

We will need more than 12 players for the end of the season,football is a squad game :o

Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:33 am

a re shuffle was needed at xmas. atleast the players know they put us in this situation and its up to them to recover it

Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:34 am

Is that how you spell Malky then ? Did you really write a few books with grammar like that :lol: :ayatollah: i think we are just low on options however is it neccasarily a bad thing, I'm undecided on that tbh also IMO maybe a youngster like Jesse darko should get a shot up front. I think we need a midfielder and a striker and maybe a full back to :ayatollah: