Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Driving on the phone - A solution

Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:16 pm

It's impossible for the old bill to catch everyone doing it, and because it's so easy to get away with, every bugger seems to be doing it.
Today I must have seen 15-20 people today driving in the opposite direction nattering on their phone, and I find that is pretty much average now. The worst one of these was outside my sons school this morning, a woman in a Nissan 4x4 with kids in the back, what a selfish bitch!

Anyway, what I tend to do is give a blast on my horn just as they go past. If everyone started doing this, not only would it draw attention to them, it would make the person on the other end of their phone wonder why there was constant horns blowing. If this then became common all over the country, the person on the other end would know that the person was actually holding a phone to their ear. This would maybe embarrass them into paying a couple of quid for a hands free, or just not answering the phone!

Unfortunately It wouldn't stop the arseholes that text :evil:

Re: Driving on the phone - A solution

Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:38 pm

harold pinta wrote:It's impossible for the old bill to catch everyone doing it, and because it's so easy to get away with, every bugger seems to be doing it.
Today I must have seen 15-20 people today driving in the opposite direction nattering on their phone, and I find that is pretty much average now. The worst one of these was outside my sons school this morning, a woman in a Nissan 4x4 with kids in the back, what a selfish bitch!

Anyway, what I tend to do is give a blast on my horn just as they go past. If everyone started doing this, not only would it draw attention to them, it would make the person on the other end of their phone wonder why there was constant horns blowing. If this then became common all over the country, the person on the other end would know that the person was actually holding a phone to their ear. This would maybe embarrass them into paying a couple of quid for a hands free, or just not answering the phone!

Unfortunately It wouldn't stop the arseholes that text :evil:

It's not just phones. I was on the dual the other morning and this small van in front was all over the place, drifting like hell around the lane. When I overtook him he was rolling a fag. :shock:

I think there's this facination with mobiles at the moment but to be fair smoking whilst driving is far more dangerous, yet no one gives a toss about that.

Personally I don't need fags or a phone to drive like a cnut :lol:

Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:43 pm

56 day custodial sentence should solve the problem....not sure if we have enough women prisons though.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:59 pm

Seriously though. Can someone tell me the difference between "talking to someone else in the car with just one hand on the wheel" and "driving whilst talking on a phone"?

It seems to me these days its acceptable to drive like an idiot as long as you've not got a phone. When it comes to bad driving; someone using a phone comes way down my list.

When I see the majority of cars doing over 40mph in village streets, that worries me far more. Especially when there's a kids play area just the other side of the road. The traffic calmers seem to be just things to race to get to first. I'd swap every single one of those speeding drivers for drivers with mobiles who were only doing 20mph.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:40 pm

Berwyn wrote:Seriously though. Can someone tell me the difference between "talking to someone else in the car with just one hand on the wheel" and "driving whilst talking on a phone"?

It seems to me these days its acceptable to drive like an idiot as long as you've not got a phone. When it comes to bad driving; someone using a phone comes way down my list.

When I see the majority of cars doing over 40mph in village streets, that worries me far more. Especially when there's a kids play area just the other side of the road. The traffic calmers seem to be just things to race to get to first. I'd swap every single one of those speeding drivers for drivers with mobiles who were only doing 20mph.

It's not a case of one over the other. Speeding in built up areas is obviously bad as well.

Drivers on mobiles are much less aware of what’s happening on the road around them, fail to see road signs, fail to maintain proper lane position and steady speed, are more likely to 'tailgate' the vehicle in front, react more slowly, take longer to brake and longer to stop, are more likely to enter unsafe gaps in traffic etc

According to the Department for transport over 300 deaths a year are caused by drivers using a phone while driving. I sincerely hope it doesn't happen to anyone you know.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:50 pm

Berwyn wrote:Seriously though. Can someone tell me the difference between "talking to someone else in the car with just one hand on the wheel" and "driving whilst talking on a phone"?

Because you tend to look down at your phone and you end up careering on the wrong side of the road :o :shock: Well that is what happened to me the other day :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: