Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" THE FIGHT/THE FINAL PUSH TO MAKE THE PLAY-OFFS "

Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:42 am

" Cardiff City manager Malky Mackay ready for the final push "

" CARDIFF CITY face a fight to the finish as they bid to secure a place in the Championship play-offs. "

With Southampton seemingly destined to clinch automatic promotion, that leaves 10 teams set to battle it out for the final automatic spot and four play-off places.

Here, we look at the fixtures those teams have left and assess who might be able to come out on top.

Let us know who you think will make the play-offs by leaving your comments below.

READING

Current position: 2nd

Remaining games: West Ham (a), Leeds (h), Brighton (a), Southampton (a), Nottm Forest (h), Crystal Palace (h), Birmingham (a)

Manager: Brian McDermott

Current form: WWDWLW

Thumbs up: The Royals are on a fantastic run and have enough momentum for a top-two spot

Thumbs down: If they don’t make second now that will be a big let-down for the play-off battles

WEST HAM

Current position: 3rd

Remaining games: Peterborough (a), Reading (h), Barnsley (a), Birmingham (h), Brighton (h), Bristol City (a), Leicester (a), Hull (h)

Manager: Sam Allardyce

Current form: WDDDDD

Thumbs up: The Hammers have a big squad packed with some really experienced players

Thumbs down: Been seen as champions-elect all season. Play-off pressure would be massive

BRIGHTON

Current position: 4th

Remaining games: Middlesbrough (h), Burnley (a), Reading (h), West Ham (a), Watford (h), Birmingham (h), Barnsley (a)

Manager: Gus Poyet

Current form: DDWLWD

Thumbs up: Poyet’s men would have over-achieved simply by making the play-offs. Pressure should be off.

Thumbs down: Having just come up there could be a lack of experience as the heat is turned up

MIDDLESBROUGH

Current position: 5th

Remaining games: Ipswich (a), Brighton (a), Cardiff (h), Hull (a), Derby (a), Doncaster (h), Southampton (h), Watford (a)

Manager: Tony Mowbray

Current form: WWLLDD

Thumbs up: In manager Mowbray they have one of the division’s wily campaigners who has been down this road before with success at West Brom

Thumbs down: After a strong campaign Boro have been finding wins hard to come by lately

BIRMINGHAM CITY

Current position: 6th

Remaining games: Doncaster (a), Burnley (a), Crystal Palace (h), West Ham (a), Bristol City (h), Ipswich (a), Brighton (a), Reading (h)

Manager: Chris Hughton

Current form: LDLWLD

Thumbs up: The Blues have goals in them and a master assists winger in former Bluebird Chris Burke

Thumbs down: It’s been a tough, long season. Will their Europa League exploits catch up with them in the end?

BLACKPOOL

Current position: 7th

Remaining games: Southampton (h), Watford (a), Barnsley (h), Nottm Forest (a), Leeds (h), Burnley (h), Millwall (a)

Manager: Ian Holloway

Current form: DLLWDL

Thumbs up: Made a late surge for the play-offs two seasons ago and went on to secure promotion to the Premier League

Thumbs down: Lost form at the worst possible time having lost three of their last six games

CARDIFF CITY

Current position: 8th

Remaining games: Millwall (h), Middlesbrough (a), Watford (h), Barnsley (a), Derby (h), Leeds (h), Crystal Palace (a)

Manager: Malky Mackay

Current form: DWLDDD

Thumbs up: Been tough to beat all season and Bluebirds fans really crank it up at this time of year

Thumbs down: Little squad rotation of late could mean tired minds and bodies at the end of the season

HULL CITY

Current position: 9th

Remaining games: Portsmouth (a), Coventry (h), Millwall (a), Middlesbrough (h), Watford (a), Barnsley (h), Nottm Forest (a), West Ham (h)

Manager: Nicky Barmby

Current form: DDWDLL

Thumbs up: Best defensive record in the league with just 30 goals conceded and that solidity could be vital in the run-in

Thumbs down: Struggled for goals all season and former England man Barmby is a rookie in the hot-seat

LEEDS UNITED

Current position: 10th

Remaining games: Watford (h), Reading (a), Derby (h), Peterborough (h), Blackpool (a), Cardiff (a), Leicester (h)

Manager: Neil Warnock

Current form: LDWDLW

Thumbs up: The Neil Warnock factor. Knows exactly what it takes to get promoted and will use all his experience to try and take Leeds up

Thumbs down: Inconsistent form and a difficult run-in make them an outside bet, especially if things get tight at Elland Road

LEICESTER CITY

Current position: 11th

Remaining games: Nottm Forest (h), Doncaster (h), Ipswich (a), Millwall (a), Burnley (h), West Ham (h), Leeds (a)

Manager: Nigel Pearson

Current form: LLWLDW

Thumbs up: Squad packed with quality and if they made the play-offs would fancy themselves against anyone

Thumbs down: Five-point gap is a lot to make up at this stage after campaign of turmoil, probably given themselves too much to do

Re: " THE FIGHT/THE FINAL PUSH TO MAKE THE PLAY-OFFS "

Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:51 am

As I just said in another thread, I've got a gut feeling we are gonna crack on now, Miller back from injury and rejuvenated from his recent absence, Mcphail back in midfield. All we need is a convincing win and a buzzing crowd Saturday to give the club the lift it needs to make that final push. let's be honest this would be the perfect time to get back into winning ways, we have been under huge pressure in previous season due to being there or there about all season, battling for auto, this is a different situation, we were never 'meant' to go up this season. Well hopefully we will see the team we saw in the first half of this season, gutsy with a never say die attitude aka a playoff winning attitude.

Come on city :ayatollah:

Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:01 am

Oh and another point is the players have the luxury of no midweek game this week, it's set up for a season turning point Saturday!

Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:01 am

Completely missed this thread...just posted exactly the same. You may want to delete my one

Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:34 am

i think we got a great chance as all the teams around us are playing each other down the line,we only got boro which they not the best at home as proven in previous seasons.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:03 am

west ham and reading have a very difficult run in against most of the top8 sides..

inevitably one of them must drop pts, so that can only benefit us..

Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:08 am

Think well have
West Ham is Play off semi - they wont handle the pressure and WELL BEAT EM the Carling cup semi experiance will kick in for our lads

Brighton in the Final
They`ll be there to Party WELL BEAT THEM as well after the Carling cup HURT it wont happen again

The Bluebirds :ayatollah: are going up

Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:11 am

Tailgunner wrote:Think well have
West Ham is Play off semi - they wont handle the pressure and WELL BEAT EM the Carling cup semi experiance will kick in for our lads

Brighton in the Final
They`ll be there to Party WELL BEAT THEM as well after the Carling cup HURT it wont happen again

The Bluebirds :ayatollah: are going up

i like your positivity :ayatollah:

Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:53 am

The interesting thing about all the above teams (Bar Reading!) is that nobody has won more then 2 of their last 6 games.... Everyone's feeling it by the looks of it!

Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:57 am

Brighton's bubble has to burst soon.

Last 15 games: Won 8 Drawn 6 Lost 1. That has been promotion form.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:11 am

I believe it is a case of Cardiff just concertrating on thier own results and not worrying about the teams results as we have seen anything thing can happen with results week in and week out.
As for the question can we make promotion via the play offs my heart says yes but my head says no as we are far too inconsistant since the CC final.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:04 pm

your all deluded we aint got the quality to go up hope im bloody wrong though :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:08 pm

Latest League Table -

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/cc ... table.html

Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:00 pm

We proved during the season that we had the fight to win matches and getting to the carling final proved that .
Having watched us play against Birmingham on Sunday i saw the old Cardiff City play
If we continue that form through til the end of the season not only will we get to the play offs but my belief is that we will also win them
Our recent lapse in form was due to our sqad being too small and then not having the back up to compensate for loss of form and injuries
These last round of matches are about form,guts and the will to win which we have
Surely "King" Kennys form is due to change and what is nice is that we have a clean bill of health to start on Saturday
I would like to see all supporters pull together and support the team like we have never done before because i have no doubt in my mind that we can do it
Lets have no more negative posts on this board and everybody think positive city are going up!!!!!
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:05 am

The king will score
the crowd will roar
and the bluebirds will be set to soar

BELIEVE!

Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:07 am

Nice! I like that! :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:02 pm

The form over past 10 games of the play off rivals from Brighton down to Leicester ranges from average to poor. eg City and Hull have taken 10 and 8 points respectively. Brighton and Leicester 17 each with the rest 12-15.

Boro and Brighton play eachother on saturday but all others have on paper a real chances of wins, with Blackpool possibly having the hardest fixture v Saints.

It is now time for City to pick it up. No more draws and having to rely on results of other clubs which TBF have been more than helpful in past few rounds of games. City have to start winning, but Millwall's last 3 wins have been on the road.