Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" WE ABSOLUTELY HAVE NO FEAR BY MALKY "

Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:45 am

Malky Mackay told press on Friday morning that his Cardiff City side are confident and relishing the promotion challenge ahead.

The Bluebirds are looking to improve on Wednesday's point against Coventry by defeating Chris Hughton's Birmingham City on Sunday, with the Blues level on points with Cardiff having played a game less.

"With eight games today we're a point outside the Play-Offs; that's what we're looking at and that's what we have to look at going forward," said the Gaffer.

"This game against Birmingham is as important as the seven games that come after it; it's no less or more important than any of those. We start on Sunday against a team who are up there and around about the same position as us. I think their result against Portsmouth on Tuesday, coupled with ours against Coventry the following night highlight the inconsistency amongst teams in this division at the moment. We have to hold our nerve and stay calm now.

"Certainly at West Ham, Southampton and Brighton earlier this season we've done well. But St. Andrew's has never been an easy place to go and Sunday is going to be a tough, tough game."

And there was positive news on the injury and fitness front, Malky continuing: "It's a case of match fitness now with Stephen (McPhail). I had to get him off the pitch on Wednesday because I'd asked him to come back in after very little training or match practice. It was great to get him back involved though and hopefully that will build up now in the coming weeks. He'll be available for Sunday.

"Kenny (Miller) is coming on too. He tweaked his ankle ahead of the Coventry game and it was touch and go whether he would be available for it. He'll be doing work outside throughout Friday though and we'll make a judgment on him ahead of Sunday's game.

"There are a couple who are a bit under the weather at the moment; but that aside, there are no other concerns."

Speaking of his side's recent form, Malky added: "I'm as frustrated as our fans by the fact that we had the opportunity to take fourth spot in our last two games and didn't do that.

"We'd have loved to have been two points better off but with eight games to go, there's still everything to play for. We have absolutely no fear and we know the measure of every side we have to play having already played them once before this season.

"They are all going to be tough games now, but Manchester United aren't among them; neither are we playing the two form sides in Southampton or Reading. We're up there and we're looking forward to the challenge which we are taking head on."

Re: " WE ABSOLUTELY HAVE NO FEAR BY MALKY "

Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:19 am

Why should we fear anyone ? Fear is not an issue here - frustration most definitely is !!

The big issue I have with Malky in relation to frustration is that he can (well actually could I suppose ) do something directly to allay that frustration by improving a lightweight squad - all we as fans can do is continue to support the players /MM & promote the club .

Only SM / KM doubtful at the mo with a couple of others also uncertain to play , we get back to the issue that has caused so much frustration for the fans inasmuch as Malky has failed to strengthen the squad effectively since the close of the transfer window at the start of the season either and preferably , by bringing in permanently the quality players NECESSARY to make us an effective force in the promotion run-in , or if that was beyond him,and with reservations , quality loan signings who will enhance the side for the short term.

Why cant Malky attract the players that it seems some agree are required ?

* the squad lacks depth
* it lacks width
* offensively it lacks pace from midfield
* it lacks goalscoring options
* it has a back-four that is at best pedestrian ,all of them , and is susceptible to pace
* it has too many 'honest' grafters in midfield and nowhere near enough game-makers to prize open oppostion defences
* it has for me , our best player PW , forced into a more defensive role , because SM is out & we have little option

It is a squad that is on it's way to giving hope for the future BUT & it is a major BUT it will not deliver unless Malky is able to bring in another 4/5/6/7 players BETTER than we have now . What is frustrating , is that we are seeing no-sign of that continued re-building and like all City fans , I want success now ,not next year , 2014/15 , the season after that or when I am in a box !I want City to be successful now , and that success has only one dimension , beating the Gypos again at their council pitch . If they wont come to us we have to go to them !

Keep planning long-term Malky , but keep us competitive & consistent in the short-term too , at the mo I havent a clue which City team will turn up tomorrow as a result of injury , loss of form ,illness , fatigue , insufficient depth !

Keep the faith , but Malky please , give us a sign of intent . Get busy shopping in the summer !! :ayatollah:

Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:20 am

The only plus i can see is that if we manage to scrape into the playoffs i think our players are capable of turning it on in the big games as they proved in the semi final and final of the carling cup ,and also the fans will get behind them again ,i still believe we will make the playoffs and i have stated a few times kenny will get the winner at wembley hope im right for once, lets get three points tommorow and make up for the piss poor home games we have had :ayatollah:

Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:00 pm

I watched the interview and took the whole thing with a pich of salt because the only reason he mentioned fear, in my opinion, that he was asked the question after the Coventry game.

What I would like to know is why we started the second half against Coventry with a line of 6 players across the pitch on the edge of our penalty area. That was 3 minutes into the 2nd half and the line was Whitts, Taylor, Turner, Hudson, Cowie, MacNaughton. Against a team like Coventry that is fear in my opinion as it goes way beyond parking the bus. Just plain old fear of losing the lead.

As I say take it all with a pinch of salt because no one can doubt we have talked the talk off the pitch, now is the time to walk the walk on it.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:32 pm

This division is the worst it has been for a while now, probably since we came back up. The inability of the teams in 3rd-8th spot to string together a run is evidence of that.

We may well have taken 6 points off Reading, 4 off Southampton and 3 off West Ham.

But the important thing is our current form, and going back to the end of January we have played 12 games, won 2 and achieved 1 clean sheet.

That is relegation form and can anyone here really see us turning that sort of form around to the level of success and consistency required to not only get into the top 6 but win the play off final?

City cannot expect other clubs to mess it up. City have to start winning and IMO it is just too much of an ask for a team with a suspect and slow defence, a keeper who does not command his area, a slow and indecisive midfield and one without a goalscoring forward.

I can see them ending the season with a series of draws and defeats. Possibly one win but this will go down as another season when it all looked good then we flopped.