Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Investment

Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:22 pm

The guy who just bought peacocks is investing is investing 120 million. Hes not waiting to see how the shops perform hes commited to invest in the shops BEFOREHAND because he knows change is required to make those shops profitable.

Where I work in 2008 when recession bit we turned over 18m, my boss invested in 5 million pounds worth of equipment and we are now one of the mist profitable printers in our field turning over 24 million this year. Every single person who works for us us getting 6% pay rise this year taking into account staff profit bonus.
Printers who just stood around and just slashed prices rather than invest are now out of business or asking staff to take huge pau cuts. Madjeski sold Reading because his printers are fucked. H

The simple tried and tested business argument is you have to speculate to accumulate.
If you stand around and dont invest you will stand stil or go backwards.

This ideal about us running self sufficiently with no investment will just end up in relegation in the end.

Re: Investment

Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:56 pm

polo wrote:The guy who just bought peacocks is investing is investing 120 million. Hes not waiting to see how the shops perform hes commited to invest in the shops BEFOREHAND because he knows change is required to make those shops profitable.

Where I work in 2008 when recession bit we turned over 18m, my boss invested in 5 million pounds worth of equipment and we are now one of the mist profitable printers in our field turning over 24 million this year. Every single person who works for us us getting 6% pay rise this year taking into account staff profit bonus.
Printers who just stood around and just slashed prices rather than invest are now out of business or asking staff to take huge pau cuts. Madjeski sold Reading because his printers are fucked. H

The simple tried and tested business argument is you have to speculate to accumulate.

This ideal about us running self sufficiently with no investment will just end up in relegation in the end.

:roll: oh how very boring from a very boring poster --- Nos Da twypsin mawr :roll:

Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:59 pm

Blazing Saddles wrote:
polo wrote:The guy who just bought peacocks is investing is investing 120 million. Hes not waiting to see how the shops perform hes commited to invest in the shops BEFOREHAND because he knows change is required to make those shops profitable.

:roll: oh how very boring from a very boring poster --- Nos Da twypsin mawr :roll:

Actually I think he has a point about investment and a business. However the problem with this logic is that running a football club as a business is different to running a normal business.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:01 am

Ah bless Welsh Roy. The boards token mongloid.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:04 am

Peacocks Retail shops were always doing very well, it was the historic debt that crippled the business.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:05 am

BD you are probably right but we keep hearing city want to run as a profitable business.

In reality that just wont happen without investment.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:06 am

I really dont think our Owners have got any Plans to invest major money on to us, As they would have done it by now, in Jan we were with in reach of the top 2. Yet they didnt spend a penny

Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:07 am

hailesy wrote:Peacocks Retail shops were always doing very well, it was the historic debt that crippled the business.

according to the new owner they tried to go all 'fashionable' and moved into a more expensive high street market

Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:09 am

polo wrote:
hailesy wrote:Peacocks Retail shops were always doing very well, it was the historic debt that crippled the business.

according to the new owner they tried to go all 'fashionable' and moved into a more expensive high street market

Which was never going to work as it was peacocks {look at Primark} 8-)

Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:16 am

Shops were already profitable. The problem was RBS and nothin else.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:12 am

polo wrote:

How can we ask the malaysians to put millions more in when so many are saying they won't renew their season tickets for next year.

If anything they would be well within their rights to cut the playing budget.

By the way, plenty of business examples the other way around. Companies who kept and maintained their old equipment survived whilst those who overstrethced themselves died.

Definately true in my industry. Virtually all my equipment bought in the last 3-4 years was bought on the cheap at auctions where others had f'cked up by overstretching.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:30 am

How can we ask the malaysians to put millions more in when so many are saying they won't renew their season tickets for next year.

Because we are the customers and they are the shareholders.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:51 am

polo wrote:

Its hypocritical.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:54 am

Hasn't he also closed a number of shops and sacked alot of staff?

Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:59 am

Lawnmower wrote:
polo wrote:

Its hypocritical.

How? If we were shareholders and shared the profits fine but we dont.

Do you think the guy from peacocks required the money from the public before he invested in improvements?

Or do you expect my customers to pay for a press before we will print for them?

If they invest they will have a better team and they will have more customers and also a better chance of a return on their invesyment.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:00 am

PtB wrote:Hasn't he also closed a number of shops and sacked alot of staff?

Yes hes got rid of the dead wood hes a businessman not a charity.

Besides they ALL would have lost their jobs if he didnt buy them out.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:00 am

Bakedalasker wrote:
Blazing Saddles wrote:

Actually I think he has a point about investment and a business. However the problem with this logic is that running a football club as a business is different to running a normal business.

Ian, Polo has made a valid point and I agree with him. :ayatollah:

Because of lack of investment on the pitch this season, we will suffer big time next season on our revenue, you wait and see.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:05 am

polo wrote:
Lawnmower wrote:
polo wrote:

Its hypocritical.

How? If we were shareholders and shared the profits fine but we dont.

Do you think the guy from peacocks required the money from the public before he invested in improvements?

Or do you expect my customers to pay for a press before we will print for them?

If they invest they will have a better team and they will have more customers and also a better chance of a return on their invesyment.

At my electroplating company we let the customers buy the expensive process machines for us. : P

Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:10 am

polo wrote:
PtB wrote:Hasn't he also closed a number of shops and sacked alot of staff?

Yes hes got rid of the dead wood hes a businessman not a charity.

Besides they ALL would have lost their jobs if he didnt buy them out.

Was just saying :D

Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:04 pm

polo wrote:
Lawnmower wrote:
polo wrote:
Its hypocritical.
How? If we were shareholders and shared the profits fine but we dont. Do you think the guy from peacocks required the money from the public before he invested in improvements? Or do you expect my customers to pay for a press before we will print for them? If they invest they will have a better team and they will have more customers and also a better chance of a return on their invesyment.

How ?

Simple, you are asking them to put their hands in their pockets and put more money into the club, ON TOP of the tens of millions they have already put in, but on the other hand saying you aren't renewing because you've lost interest.

If you think a football club can be run like Peacocks then you are on a different planet.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:11 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:
Blazing Saddles wrote:

Ian, Polo has made a valid point and I agree with him. :ayatollah:

Because of lack of investment on the pitch this season, we will suffer big time next season on our revenue, you wait and see.

But you can't have it both ways Annis.

We can't moan about the debt and then say they should put more in.

The tactic now seems to be only to bring in good players who can be improved, or proven players who can do a job. Sordell and noone fit in with that -personally I think its the right way, and what we all wanted last season instead of the short term loans who cared nothing for the club.
Looking at the recent transfers to other clubs in the Championship I can't see that too many of them have changed hands who could have helped us.
somoen ,mentioned Dobbie -which is totally grasping at straws as we have several players in the same mould, who are as good - or in my opinion better.

Which quick skilful winger could we have picked up ?

Mackay has a 3 year rebuilding job to do, so we need to be patient and back him at least for the first 2 years of it.

Given where we were 9 months ago personally I think he has done a good job.

I agree that right now it would look like we will have a drop in come (as posted before), but that can be sorted by either cutting the wage bill of dead wood (which we have plenty) or by the major shareholders coming to agreements over the share issues.

With the end of the Jones (and backroom staff) contract situation we should see a significant saving for a start.

Its not over yet, by a long way, but IF we don't go up this year I think it'll be an interesting summer.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:11 pm

Been there and done it with DJ, did I miss the season in the prem :lol: :lol:

Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:24 pm

I see where you're coming from, but part of the problem, in my opinion, is the lack of squad rotation during this bad spell we're going through.

Maybe it is too small a squad, but I'm not really sure when certain players aren't being given a chance.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:41 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Shops were already profitable. The problem was RBS and nothin else.

Why because they wouldn't lend them anymore money!!!!! Jesus at what point would you want a public owned bank to say 'enough is enough' to a historial debt ridden company..?

Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:52 pm

Angry Man wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:Shops were already profitable. The problem was RBS and nothin else.

Why because they wouldn't lend them anymore money!!!!! Jesus at what point would you want a public owned bank to say 'enough is enough' to a historial debt ridden company..?

They went back on an agreement to restructure the loan.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:54 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
Angry Man wrote:

They went back on an agreement to restructure the loan.

For a good reason that the company didn't disclose all the information then when the bank looked into it they pulled out. As the bank is now a public owned company I welcome the fact that they done this type of investigation before handing OUR money over to them.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:09 pm

Public owned company that seems to be taking jobs off people while paying themselves huge bonus'

Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:15 pm

Mmn ........ speculating to accumulate being the only way to run a successful football club?

Wasn't that the very plan that our dear departed Mr Risdale put into operation so successfully at Leeds Utd? That worked.

Same model adopted by Portsmouth, Rangers et al. They are doing ever so well too, aren't they?

Throwing money at a problem is not the ONLY way to prosper in the football world. Norwich and our friends from the west (conveniently forgetting their little trips to see the Administrator) have got promoted by mixing investment with a prudent business approach. That seems to be the path that the Malaysians seem to be pursuing.

I am not saying that they have got the mixture right, as I strongly believe that they should have invested in the team to a larger degree in January. However, we don't really know what business plan they have in mind in relation to the rather frightening historical debt. Promotion does not guarantee eradication of debt as it can exacerbate it (see Portsmouth, Hull etc), and they have to consider that aspect too.

Investment is a crucial part of any business growth strategy, but so is sound fiscal sense. We owe anything from £30 - 70,000,000. It is a "shit or bust" gamble if your only business plan is speculating on players, as they cannot guarantee you promotion. You must have contingency plans based on the prospect of not getting promoted too - otherwise there will be no club to support.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:52 pm

BorderBlue wrote:Mmn ........ speculating to accumulate being the only way to run a successful football club?

Wasn't that the very plan that our dear departed Mr Risdale put into operation so successfully at Leeds Utd? That worked.

Same model adopted by Portsmouth, Rangers et al. They are doing ever so well too, aren't they?

Throwing money at a problem is not the ONLY way to prosper in the football world. Norwich and our friends from the west (conveniently forgetting their little trips to see the Administrator) have got promoted by mixing investment with a prudent business approach. That seems to be the path that the Malaysians seem to be pursuing.

I am not saying that they have got the mixture right, as I strongly believe that they should have invested in the team to a larger degree in January. However, we don't really know what business plan they have in mind in relation to the rather frightening historical debt. Promotion does not guarantee eradication of debt as it can exacerbate it (see Portsmouth, Hull etc), and they have to consider that aspect too.

Investment is a crucial part of any business growth strategy, but so is sound fiscal sense. We owe anything from £30 - 70,000,000. It is a "shit or bust" gamble if your only business plan is speculating on players, as they cannot guarantee you promotion. You must have contingency plans based on the prospect of not getting promoted too - otherwise there will be no club to support.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:51 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Public owned company that seems to be taking jobs off people while paying themselves huge bonus'

If paying people bonuses helps the bank get into profit quicker so that it can be sold off for a profit to the taxpayers than Im all for it.