Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

CCS STEWARDS HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT FROM NOW ON

Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:14 pm

If the match ball goes into the crowd after the full time whistle then they must not try and retrieve it.

This is after a steward tried to get a ball back off a child in the family stand after it was given by David Marshall to the child at the Burnley game.

The club held an internal inquiry and decided that from the Coventry game and on, if the ball is in the stands and the full time whistle has blown then the stewards will make no attempt to retrieve the ball.

Talking to a steward's supervisor in the family stand on Wednesday, he told me that the reason his steward tried to retrieve the ball was that it is a Fifa regulation that the match ball is carried off the pitch by the match officials and only once the ball has gone down the tunnel can it then come back out and be given away, he also said that if a player gives the ball away at the end of the game then that payer will be fined by the club.

For me it is a shame that the steward from the Burnley game didn't use common sense and allow the child to receive the ball as a gift from Marshall as it was intended.

Re: CCS STEWARDS HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT FROM NOW ON

Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:19 pm

carlccfc wrote:If the match ball goes into the crowd after the full time whistle then they must not try and retrieve it.

This is after a steward tried to get a ball back off a child in the family stand after it was given by David Marshall to the child at the Burnley game.

The club held an internal inquiry and decided that from the Coventry game and on, if the ball is in the stands and the full time whistle has blown then the stewards will make no attempt to retrieve the ball.

Talking to a steward's supervisor in the family stand on Wednesday, he told me that the reason his steward tried to retrieve the ball was that it is a Fifa regulation that the match ball is carried off the pitch by the match officials and only once the ball has gone down the tunnel can it then come back out and be given away, he also said that if a player gives the ball away at the end of the game then that payer will be fined by the club.

For me it is a shame that the steward from the Burnley game didn't use common sense and allow the child to receive the ball as a gift from Marshall as it was intended.

That's the key, common sense.

In fairness to the Jobsworth, though, as Jonny 90210 has said before, they aren't allowed to disobey the orders of the Gruppenfuhrer. I still find it sad that he felt the need to snatch it back from a child, despite what guidelines the faceless bureaucrats have put in place.

Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:24 pm

Well, I'll be expecting the lads to fire a few into the stands after evry game from now on!

The kids will olove them for it and it may ensure a few season tickets are sold for next season.

If kenny Miller can't find the back of the net then he may find the back of the Canton Stand :ayatollah:

Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:27 pm

Johnny Rythmn wrote:Well, I'll be expecting the lads to fire a few into the stands after evry game from now on!

The kids will olove them for it and it may ensure a few season tickets are sold for next season.

If kenny Miller can't find the back of the net then he may find the back of the Canton Stand :ayatollah:

Fair play to McSheffrey, he hit a quality shot into the Family Stand on Wednesday night.

He was supposed to be taking a penalty, but I think he heard someone say "kick that ball into the stand for the kids."

Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:38 pm

Nedd Glas wrote:
Johnny Rythmn wrote:Well, I'll be expecting the lads to fire a few into the stands after evry game from now on!

Fair play to McSheffrey, he hit a quality shot into the Family Stand on Wednesday night.

He was supposed to be taking a penalty, but I think he heard someone say "kick that ball into the stand for the kids."

:ayatollah:

Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:03 pm

I was hoping this would be something to do with standing areas. Like 117/118 officially allowed to stand.

I'm allowed to dream, aren't I? :ayatollah:

Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:04 pm

CantonJack wrote:I was hoping this would be something to do with standing areas. Like 117/118 officially allowed to stand.

I'm allowed to dream, aren't I? :ayatollah:

Yes, but don't tell the stewards - they are the Thought Police.

Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:44 pm

carlccfc wrote:Talking to a steward's supervisor in the family stand on Wednesday, he told me that the reason his steward tried to retrieve the ball was that it is a Fifa regulation that the match ball is carried off the pitch by the match officials and only once the ball has gone down the tunnel can it then come back out and be given away, he also said that if a player gives the ball away at the end of the game then that payer will be fined by the club.

Well why did not this steward say that when asked the question why he insisted on retrieving the ball?

Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:55 pm

Yes but there is a problem here !! At the final whistle there would be no one left in the Family Stand to catch the fooking thing :lol: :lol:

Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:00 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:Yes but there is a problem here !! At the final whistle there would be no one left in the Family Stand to catch the fooking thing :lol: :lol:

:lol:

When I first started watching city we were so shit the highlight was keeping the balk whilst the oppo keeper asked for it back and then got pissy when it was chucked about :lol:

Probably get a 3 year ban for that now :lol:

Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:35 pm

polo wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:Yes but there is a problem here !! At the final whistle there would be no one left in the Family Stand to catch the fooking thing :lol: :lol:

When I first started watching city we were so shit the highlight was keeping the balk whilst the oppo keeper asked for it back and then got pissy when it was chucked about :lol:

Well our lot just chucked the ball around aimlessly the other night. Will they get a ban ? :lol: :lol: But Chief yes those were the Days. And you didnt have the pissy do gooders having a go either :lol: Because they would of got filled in :D

Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:37 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:
polo wrote:

Well our lot just chucked the ball around aimlessly the other night. Will they get a ban ? :lol: :lol: But Chief yes those were the Days. And you didnt have the pissy do gooders having a go either :lol: Because they would of got filled in :D

There were no dogooders in those days :lol:

Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:57 am

I saw the incident with the "child" - you make him sound like a little, cute 7 year old - he was actually a huge teenage lump of a lad who was stroppier than Naomi Campbell with sleep deprivation. :lol:

Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:04 am

When the final whistle was blown at the end of the Hull game, my mate and I were literally the only people left in our whole row in the family stand - and the row behind was totally empty.

I've never left a game early since leaving with 5 mins to go when we were 3 up in the infamous Chelsea game in the 80s (finished 3-3 for the youngsters among you).

Didn't even leave early when we were 5-0 down at half time at home to Maidstone.

Early leavers are weak individuals with no more right to breathe god's good air than a weasel. ;)

Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:14 am

Halifax93 wrote:I saw the incident with the "child" - you make him sound like a little, cute 7 year old - he was actually a huge teenage lump of a lad who was stroppier than Naomi Campbell with sleep deprivation. :lol:

Got to admit he was a bit larger than average for his age.

He was insistant though because after leaving the stand in the first instance he did return with a determination to have the ball. It obviously mean't a lot to him.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:26 am

Bakedalasker wrote:
Halifax93 wrote:I saw the incident with the "child" - you make him sound like a little, cute 7 year old - he was actually a huge teenage lump of a lad who was stroppier than Naomi Campbell with sleep deprivation. :lol:

Got to admit he was a bit larger than average for his age.

He was insistant though because after leaving the stand in the first instance he did return with a determination to have the ball. It obviously mean't a lot to him.

The steward was out of order - I did feel sorry for the kid

Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:07 pm

Hypothetical.

Cardiff player scores a hattrick, end of game, opponent puts ball into stand.

Should the player not receive the match ball for his hat trick?

Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:42 pm

nerd wrote:Hypothetical.

Cardiff player scores a hattrick, end of game, opponent puts ball into stand.

Should the player not receive the match ball for his hat trick?

Yep. Love to see him go and retrieve it though.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:52 pm

The steward might

Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:04 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:55 pm

GOOD I WANT ONE TOMORROW!MARSHALL THROW ME ONE! :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:59 pm

carlccfc wrote:If the match ball goes into the crowd after the full time whistle then they must not try and retrieve it.

sorry to say carl,but the stewart involved is a cock......he needs to remember what poiwer he has...i witnessed event and stewart was well out of order :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:21 pm

first of all from what ive heard David Marshall didnt give the ball to anyone he kicked the ball into the stand so to use the word 'gift' is a bit loose.

second up until the Coventry game this was a club rule. The club want their balls back whether they are training balls or the match ball, so its the club that have changed their policy in the interests of keeping the fans happy rather than over zealous stewarding (they are just doing what their employers are asking them to do).

as for this FIFA regulation its the first ive heard of it but all im interested in is the instructions given to me by my employer.

as for using common sense, yes i agree with you but when 'common sense' conflicts with the instructions given to you what are you supposed to do, I dont really want to lose my job over the rights of common sense.

this episode has really annoyed me as a steward especially when the words 'internal investigation' was used because at the end of the day the steward is just following instructions given to him by the club, if the club change their policy great but I dont like the way the stewards have been made to look bad for just following instructions, especially after the levels of abuse we as stewards receive from the club when do not retrieve the balls.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:26 pm

JONNY012697 wrote:

first of all from what ive heard David Marshall didnt give the ball to anyone he kicked the ball into the stand so to use the word 'gift' is a bit loose.

second up until the Coventry game this was a club rule. The club want their balls back whether they are training balls or the match ball, so its the club that have changed their policy in the interests of keeping the fans happy rather than over zealous stewarding (they are just doing what their employers are asking them to do).

as for this FIFA regulation its the first ive heard of it but all im interested in is the instructions given to me by my employer.

as for using common sense, yes i agree with you but when 'common sense' conflicts with the instructions given to you what are you supposed to do, I dont really want to lose my job over the rights of common sense.

this episode has really annoyed me as a steward especially when the words 'internal investigation' was used because at the end of the day the steward is just following instructions given to him by the club, if the club change their policy great but I dont like the way the stewards have been made to look bad for just following instructions, especially after the levels of abuse we as stewards receive from the club when do not retrieve the balls.

I agree with Jonny here :o :shock: Why is the Steward being made the scapegoat when he is just following orders from above. We have all got to do what our employer tell us even though we may not like it. Its called keeping your Job at the end of the Day.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:29 pm

JONNY012697 wrote:

That is total and utter rubbish Jonney. Who told you this. Marshal walked up to the kid and handed the ball to him. Why do I say that....becuase I saw it with my own eyes.

Actually I do sympathise with the stewards situation here although I did not agree with the aggressive approach of this particular steward.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:46 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
JONNY012697 wrote:

That is total and utter rubbish Jonney. Who told you this. Marshal walked up to the kid and handed the ball to him. Why do I say that....becuase I saw it with my own eyes.

Actually I do sympathise with the stewards situation here although I did not agree with the aggressive approach of this particular steward.

well i brought this issue up at my briefing before the coventry game
and this was the message given to us by the club
that the ball was not gifted by David Marshall but he kicked the ball into the stand in frustration so it wasnt a gift
but from now on we are not to retrieve balls at the end of the game
which still raises the question over training balls before the game, do we still retrieve them?

as for the aggressive nature fine if the steward was out of order in the way he approached the situation punish him on that basis not for following instructions from the club.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:48 pm

JONNY012697 wrote:

Excuse me Jonny-cum-lately but you are working on hearsay and I saw the incident, Marshall did not kick the ball, he got within a few metres of the kid and threw him the ball.

Whether or not there are rules and regulations there can still be common sense applied, which thankfully has now happened. What is not in your rules and regulations is putting your hands on somebody because you couldn't get your own way, let me tell you something as a fan Jonny, had that been my son or daughter that the 'little hitler' tried to take the ball off or put his hands on then the situation would have got a lot more serious.

As you are probably aware I was the person who went and took a photo of the steward and told him everything I felt he had done wrong because of that the policy has been changed and rightfully so.

Tell me have you been told that any player giving the ball away will be fined?

Have you been informed that the lad involved will be invited to the club and given the ball?

What would you have done had you been the steward in that area when Marshall gave the kid the ball?

Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:58 pm

Well all I'll say to you Jonny is that you were informed wrongly.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:02 pm

carlccfc wrote:
JONNY012697 wrote:

Excuse me Jonny-cum-lately but you are working on hearsay and I saw the incident, Marshall did not kick the ball, he got within a few metres of the kid and threw him the ball.

Whether or not there are rules and regulations there can still be common sense applied, which thankfully has now happened. What is not in your rules and regulations is putting your hands on somebody because you couldn't get your own way, let me tell you something as a fan Jonny, had that been my son or daughter that the 'little hitler' tried to take the ball off or put his hands on then the situation would have got a lot more serious.

As you are probably aware I was the person who went and took a photo of the steward and told him everything I felt he had done wrong because of that the policy has been changed and rightfully so.

Tell me have you been told that any player giving the ball away will be fined?

Have you been informed that the lad involved will be invited to the club and given the ball?

What would you have done had you been the steward in that area when Marshall gave the kid the ball?

not using hearsay using the information given to me from the club directly during my briefing before the game

you answer this question if your given a set of rules which conflict with 'common sense' what would you do follow them and keep your job or ignore them and lose your job

as for players being fined ive always asked why they werent, this problem is brought up more times than you can imagine because its a lot easier than the steward having to pay for the ball

as for the kid being invited to the club, great hope he has a day to remember

As for what I would have done?
Prior to the rule change for the coventry game
my remit would be to get the ball back
after finding the child, I would have asked him where his parents were or guardian, then raised the issue with them with the hope that the parent says to the child 'im sorry son you cant keep the ball'
if the parent was 'overly aggressive' I would have taken the fans details and passed the information to the club for them to deal with at a later date.

oh and as for calling me jonny-cum-lately or stewards 'little hitlers' I didnt call you names no reason why you should start

Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:05 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:Well all I'll say to you Jonny is that you were informed wrongly.

well if ive been informed incorrectly ill take that onboard but that was the information given to me and i obviously had no reason to doubt it