Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Quick Immigration question

Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:22 am

Does anyone know the answer to this one?

There's a family just by me who came here from Poland. None of them work so I assume they survive by living on the UK benefits system.

Now we get told by the politicians that because Poland is a Euro country then this is perfectly fine. Okay if that is the situation then fine. But I was thinking where I live isn't the best place to live in Europe, not by a long way.

So if we live in a European Union where we are all equal and free to move around. Would it be possible if I could up sticks and move somewhere better? I mean what I'd like to do is perhaps move to the Spanish coast or one of their islands maybe. Perhaps even a Greek island. Just live there in the sun cheaply enough getting by on Spanish benefits.

Because surely if people from other Euro zones can come here and get UK benefits simply because they think we live in a better place and so want a piece of that. UK people must therefore be able to do the same in other Euro zones.

Could someone find out. I might retire early to the sun. Nice one!

Re: Quick Immigration question

Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:59 am

Dont think they got benefit systems like ours, that`s why they come here..

Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:46 pm

Berwyn wrote:Does anyone know the answer to this one?

There's a family just by me who came here from Poland. None of them work so I assume they survive by living on the UK benefits system.

Now we get told by the politicians that because Poland is a Euro country then this is perfectly fine. Okay if that is the situation then fine. But I was thinking where I live isn't the best place to live in Europe, not by a long way.

So if we live in a European Union where we are all equal and free to move around. Would it be possible if I could up sticks and move somewhere better? I mean what I'd like to do is perhaps move to the Spanish coast or one of their islands maybe. Perhaps even a Greek island. Just live there in the sun cheaply enough getting by on Spanish benefits.

Because surely if people from other Euro zones can come here and get UK benefits simply because they think we live in a better place and so want a piece of that. UK people must therefore be able to do the same in other Euro zones.

Could someone find out. I might retire early to the sun. Nice one!

Go on retire, it's possible :ayatollah:

Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:55 pm

wkdblue wrote:Dont think they got benefit systems like ours, that`s why they come here..

Yeah they must have benefits because around 20% of people in Spain are unemployed. They live on something.

Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:31 pm

Not all EU countries are a soft touch like Britain.....i use to say Great Britain but somehow that name doesn't fit anymore

Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:34 pm

Nice idea but not as easy as it sounds the UKL are a soft touch for benefits compared to Spain see the link below ;)

http://www.expatica.com/es/essentials_m ... 10952.html

Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:56 pm

sure spains system is a lot harder to soak off compared to uk.

Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:24 pm

jtc wrote:sure spains system is a lot harder to soak off compared to uk.

This is where it's confusing. The government tell us all the time that they can't stop Eastern Europeans coming to the UK because of the European laws etc. So why don't they just make the benefits that they'd be able to get (or not get) exaclty the same as what they'd get in the other countrys?

Spain has to follow the rules as well as us. So if countrys like Spain are not encouraging people to migrate there simply for a better life on benefits then why do the UK continue to do it?

Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:51 pm

Berwyn wrote:
jtc wrote:sure spains system is a lot harder to soak off compared to uk.

This is where it's confusing. The government tell us all the time that they can't stop Eastern Europeans coming to the UK because of the European laws etc. So why don't they just make the benefits that they'd be able to get (or not get) exaclty the same as what they'd get in the other countrys?

Spain has to follow the rules as well as us. So if countrys like Spain are not encouraging people to migrate there simply for a better life on benefits then why do the UK continue to do it?

Could just be the case that Spain doesn't offer the same level of benefits as we do over here. I'm pretty sure there's EU laws saying that if you offer British citizens this level EU members living in Britain must also be given that level.

Like with the University funding from Scotland. If it's free for Scots it has to be free for all Europeans.

Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:07 pm

The uk is a joke lets be fair what do you expect :shock:

Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:46 pm

our poitical parties (all) dont have any balls to say no to europe italy deported terrorist and were sent letter :lol: what do we do? give them benefits and police protection :lol: must remember most eu rules are not mandatory (human rights) is open to interpretation other countries dont apply them so liberally, but we do hence problems getting rid of murderers ect ect