Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

David Marshall

Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:58 pm

I notice that a number of posters have said about changing the line up to freshen things up / drop those not on form but I notice that no-one has made comments about Marshall's performance last night. Once again he was poor in commanding his area, his weak punch led to the penalty, and he should have done better on the 2nd goal. I would love to see Heaton back between the sticks, as Marshall just doesn't command his area, is afraid to come off his line and doesn't communicate with the back four.

Re: David Marshall

Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:59 pm

agreed

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:08 pm

polo wrote:agreed

Ditto

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:16 pm

I think a change to Heaton is a must :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:21 pm

You're right

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:39 pm

He's still better in goals than Heaton imo, not to say Heaton is shit

Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:44 pm

Heaton for me, Marshall bottled it big time last week against Hull, should have done better too last night for their winner, not what I call throwing your body on the line!

Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:47 pm

Personally I think Marshall is the better keep but I think he is inconsistent especially as off late. I think a change all around will sort something out surely :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:48 pm

Valley Lad wrote:Heaton for me, Marshall bottled it big time last week against Hull, should have done better too last night for their winner, not what I call throwing your body on the line!

Funny how people see things differently as I felt he kept the score down. Could have been 5-6-7 if not for Marshall.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:55 pm

Marshall should have done better for the play that ked to the penalty when he didn't deal well with an attempted punch from a corner.

Marshall then should have saved Coventry's 95th minute equaliser as he let the ball go underneath his body.

He's a good keeper but I personally think Heaton deserves his chance to show what he can do! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Malky will stick with Marshall though for sure unless he gets injured. Heaton looks increasignly likely to leave on a free transfer in the summer as well. There's no point in him signing a new contract because obviously he wants to go to a club where he can be no.1 :cry:

Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:56 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
Valley Lad wrote:Heaton for me, Marshall bottled it big time last week against Hull, should have done better too last night for their winner, not what I call throwing your body on the line!

Funny how people see things differently as I felt he kept the score down. Could have been 5-6-7 if not for Marshall.

2blue, didn't make the game yesterday, heard second half on radio and saw goal later, just talking generally, think Marshall has been very inconsistent recently and feel Heaton deserves his chance. His last game was Wembley when he was excellent.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:57 pm

I agree he was a little off yesterday, should have done better for the equaliser maybe.

Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:04 am

wonder what people would have said after the palace 1st leg, when he played one game and fucked up :ayatollah:
IMO we have two quality keepers at this level. toss a coin id be happy with either :ayatollah:

Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:08 am

milly44 wrote:wonder what people would have said after the palace 1st leg, when he played one game and fucked up :ayatollah:
IMO we have two quality keepers at this level. toss a coin id be happy with either :ayatollah:

I remember at the time nearly everyone said MM should stop with the cup keeper thing and play our beat team that meant Marshall.

100% agree though, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest who started and i don't think it would make any difference.

Infact I was watching the Burnley highlights and was more impressed than on the day at some of the saves.

Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:12 am

milly44 wrote:wonder what people would have said after the palace 1st leg, when he played one game and fucked up :ayatollah:

It depends what camp you're in Milly, I defended Heaton because at least he's got the balls to come for crosses, he messed up then but I'd rather a keeper who risks making a mistake on the rare occasion than one is glued to his line.
Heaton much braver than Marshall if only he was Marshall's size feel he would be a very good keeper.

Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:14 am

Valley Lad wrote:

It depends what camp you're in Milly, I defended Heaton because at least he's got the balls to come for crosses, he messed up then but I'd rather a keeper who risks making a mistake on the rare occasion than one is glued to his line.
Heaton much braver than Marshall if only he was Marshall's size feel he would be a very good keeper.

yep I agree to a degree. Im in neither camp really, If Dimi or warner were are no.2s then it would be a different story :lol:

Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:17 am

milly44 wrote:
Valley Lad wrote:

yep I agree to a degree. Im in neither camp really, If Dimi or warner were are no.2s then it would be a different story :lol:

Cough Bywater cough :o

Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:20 am

Valley Lad wrote:
milly44 wrote:
Valley Lad wrote:

Cough Bywater cough :o

oh f**k yeh, weve had some pearlers mind :lol:
bring back big John Hallworth :D

Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:45 am

I've been saying it for a couple of weeks now, Marshall appears to have gone back into his shell over the last few weeks, whereas he started the season quite vocal and quick to race off his line to help out the defence, he's gone quiet again and dithers to come off his line!

I know McNaughton's og against Hull was bizarre, but the cross was only 4 yards or so from the goal line and I'm baffled why Marshall stayed on his line for it! I also felt that he may have come off his goal quicker for their second goal, which could have saved us!

I've no idea why he chose to punch the ball that led to the penalty last night, as it seemed to come in at a good height for him to catch it and he's flapped at a couple of other crosses of late as well! I've also got no idea why we were defending so deep in the 2nd half and I thought he should have saved their late equaliser!

Whilst he's still made some cracking saves in many of our recent games, I don't think the defence are as confident in him ATM , which is appearing to show a lack of assuredness in their play as well!

Heaton has always been vocal, keen to come off his line quickly to help out the defence, whilst also being very patient and supportive of Marshall!

I think Heaton deserves his chance!

Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:41 am

The future is Heaton.

Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:13 am

Always said both keepers are average Championship keepers

Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:08 am

time for a wee change i think heaton for me

Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:26 am

Heaton for me.

Against Hull Marshall should off stopped the second goal if he had been aggressive and come out for the ball. He would of taken the player as well but it would never of been a pen as he would of taken the ball first.

He let the ball go under his body on Wed due to slow reactions.

He has made good saves I agree but they are not saves that Heaton could not make, yet the mistakes Marshall has made I don't see Heaton making as he is more agile and has better command in the box. We are in the pressure part of the season and I believe the pressure Heaton was under in the CC semi and final, will now serve him and the defence in good stead for the run in as they all stood up damn well then.

Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:16 pm

I think you will find that I posted on Wednesday night after the game and suggested Marshall should be dropped for Heaton as he was responsible for the penalty , seemed to be at fault for the 2nd goal and was beaten too easily for the 1st.