Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Late play off runs - the stats. "

Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:06 pm

I'm not much of a "Statto", but it seems to me that one team always comes late into the play off places, so I looked up the following.

Ok - as we are one point off a playoff place at the moment, I looked back over the last few years to find out how many teams have made a late run for the playoffs after 21st March. On average, one team every year makes it into the top 6 from outside the playoff positions on 21st March. Here below is listed which team has done it over the last 7 seasons, what position they were in, and how many points they were off a playoff place, on 21st March. (The number of games played is not taken into account). (At present, we are in 8th place and one point off a place)

2011 - READING 7th 1 point behind

2010 -Blackpool 9th 7 points behind

2009 - Preston 7th (goal difference)

2008 - Palace 7th 1 point behind

2007 - Southampton 8th 4 points behind
and Stoke 9th 6 points behind

2006 - the top 6 remained the same

2005 - West Ham 8th 4 points behind

So - if one team on average makes it every year - why not us?

Re: Late play off runs - the stats.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:10 pm

Cos they then won games,

Good stats , hope we can do it this season,

Still confident even after last nights disaster :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: " Late play off runs - the stats. "

Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:11 pm

bluebird58 wrote:I'm not much of a "Statto", but it seems to me that one team always comes late into the play off places, so I looked up the following.

Ok - as we are one point off a playoff place at the moment, I looked back over the last few years to find out how many teams have made a late run for the playoffs after 21st March. On average, one team every year makes it into the top 6 from outside the playoff positions on 21st March. Here below is listed which team has done it over the last 7 seasons, what position they were in, and how many points they were off a playoff place, on 21st March. (The number of games played is not taken into account). (At present, we are in 8th place and one point off a place)

I am feeling a little bit more positive. :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:13 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
bluebird58 wrote:I'm not much of a "Statto", but it seems to me that one team always comes late into the play off places, so I looked up the following.

don't tell me i'm starting to get through to you at last! ;) :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:18 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

I've just fainted :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:19 pm

bluebird58 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

don't tell me i'm starting to get through to you at last! ;) :ayatollah:

:lol: :ayatollah:

It was really good to put a face to the name the other day, cheers for introducing yourself. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:36 pm

Also - the 4th 5th & 6th play off spot are current only seperated by 1pt! So like I said, it's all to play for! I've just checked the fixtures for the next few weeks! Think Boro & Brum are going to have a tough time! And there are still a number of top 6 clashes to be played! :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:48 pm

I Still dont think we will make play-offs 8th for me and start looking at players and prepare for a tough year next season :ayatollah:

Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:34 pm

I said the same...

ridiculous as it currently seems, but seeing the run in's for all the clubs, you have to fancy Soton & Wet Spam to go up automatically, with Reading, Blackpool us & Hull in the play offs.

That's my guess anyway. And if that happens - it's anyone's (as always!) :ayatollah:

Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:49 pm

Let's go back to August. If we finished in Play Offs that would be a bonus. If we got promoted then that would be a double bonus.

Nothing has changed apart from the fact that we have perhaps done a little better than expected.

I don't think we are ready this year. Truthfully. But next year I expect us to have funds and really go for it

Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:45 pm

Thanks a lot for the post mate, it's really interesting.

I'm a firm believer in all sport being 50% ability and 50% psychology. Our team has showed this season, that they do have the strength psychologically, something that we lacked this season.

Despite some poor performances and decisions lately, I haven't given up hope yet.

I believe in Malky!

http://www.facebook.com/bornontheblock