Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" QUESTIONS THAT NEED ANSWERS "

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:45 am

Ive been a huge fan of Malky all year but the last few weeks have raised some serious questions that need addressing.

1. Everyone knew in October that with the intensity of our football, and the small squad, that come Feb/March we would be burned out. Therefore in January it was vital we signed reinforcements. We signed Kadeem Harris who is yet to play and Filip Kiss, who we had already and is lucky to make the bench these days.

2. Also since October its been clear that we were in desperate need of some pace, particularly on the flanks. Yet we have not signed a single player who could be described as being any quicker than what we have, in fact Lawrence looks slower than most of our midfield!

3. Since October it has also been clear that Kenny Miller was the only striker that Malky trusted in the squad to get us goals. When he was banging them in that was great but we were all worried what would happen if he were to get injured or lose his form. Now he has lost his way in front of goal we struggle to score and we are relying on Rudy, who is raw and completely unproven, Mason, who is just a kid, and Earnie who has hardly had a kick all season.

4. Again, with such a small squad, and not strengthening, it is obviously imperative to rotate the squad. On the bench we have the likes of Blake, Conway, Kiss and Earnie who could all do a job, particularly when McNaughton, Gunnarson, Cowie and Miller have struggled in recent weeks. Its not even the fact that these subs are not given a chance in the starting line-up, they are lucky to even get on the pitch. Last night Cowie once again looked shattered, the intensity and energy he had in his game at the start of the season has slowly faded yet still Conway didnt get on.

5. Throughout the season we have mixed it up tactically, some games 442 others 451. Yet recently the choice of tactics has baffled me. 451 at home to a team in the relegation zone???? This formation would be fine if you have two quick, goalscoring wingers who join up with the forward but we had Cowie and Lawrence!!!! Its no wonder we looked so blunt in the final 3rd last night.

6. I applaud Malky for being so strict on the standard of player he wants to bring to the club. I never want to see another JLS or JET play for us again but I do think he needs to slightly relax his requirements as at Championship level you are going to struggle to buy or loan a good player with an excellent work ethic and attitude, these types of players are generally found in the Premier League. At championship level if you want to get a player with a bit of x factor you have to be willing to take a bit of a gamble and have faith that you can nurture a players ability. You're effectively looking for a rough diamond. To date Malky has shown no inclination to sign such a player.

Malky has been a breath of fresh air this season and I'm glad he is manager of our football club but he got us into such an incredible position that its heartbreaking to see us slide down the table when many fans saw this coming in October. It's been as frustrating a capitulation as any of DJs!!

Re: " QUESTIONS THAT NEED ANSWERS "

Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:37 am

Good post Jimbo. Some very valid points. Hopefully the club will learn from some of the matters raised. I think a lot of it from the supporters side is that its the sheer frustration of being so close for the past few seasons and they have seen the same happen this year when we were a couple of points at the top and had the opportunity to strengthen like the teams around us.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:08 am

bridgendbluebird30 wrote:Good post Jimbo. Some very valid points. Hopefully the club will learn from some of the matters raised. I think a lot of it from the supporters side is that its the sheer frustration of being so close for the past few seasons and they have seen the same happen this year when we were a couple of points at the top and had the opportunity to strengthen like the teams around us.

I think that is what it all boils down to. Of course most fans recognize that Malky has done a good job but having got us in such a great position in January, and having publicly claimed he had substantial funds to purchase players, and that we needed 2-3, why have we failed to strengthen when every man and his dog could tell we would run out of steam with such a small squad, playing games with such intensity? He has done the hard work, now all we needed was a final push

Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:43 am

The annoying thing is, on the bench the player are not bad, they are pretty decent and can do a job, esp Con and blake i feel. If we had total shit for subs you could understand them not being used, but they are all perfectly cable of doing a job!

Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:14 pm

So, where are these questions that need answering then?

Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:17 pm

Karl wrote:So, where are these questions that need answering then?

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:03 pm

I don't want to be negative towards your very good post but I think yesterday was more 433 than 451? Either way we drew at home against a side who lost 9 out of 10 away games.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:36 pm

This is malkys second full season.

Last season his tactics were slightly different but the philosophy was the same. Reading what one watford fan say's they believe it was down to good loanee's returning to their respective clubs early and a smaller and probably less expensive squad (I would imagine our wage structure higher than Watfords)

This season he stumbled upon 451, it worked, got sussed, had no options. Only he know why he hasn't rotated more, but it must be to do with trust or not following instructions, missing fitness targets and I believe the players on the bench or stand won't be here next season. So he is willing to gamble or spite himself that his trusted inner circle will do the business. He is building the core team spirit for an assault next season.

I work in manufacturing, if I am green (good) in all my Key Performance Indicators my boss gives me a nice little bonus.

I think a top 10 finish, good cup run, good financial control he hits all his KPI's , so for season 1 "the consolidation", it's all systems go for season 2 "the push".

I am always more reasonable a day or two after.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:01 pm

llan bluebird wrote:I think a top 10 finish, good cup run, good financial control he hits all his KPI's , so for season 1 "the consolidation", it's all systems go for season 2 "the push".

This is why we'll never go up......always "next season". The fact of the matter is, we were in great position to qualify automatically but we didnt do anything to help that cause. No wonder our fans felt let down.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:23 pm

You can ask all the questions you want. You wo'nt get any answers. We, the fans, are irrelevent.

Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:32 am

Jimbo27 wrote:Ive been a huge fan of Malky all year but the last few weeks have raised some serious questions that need addressing.

1. Everyone knew in October that with the intensity of our football, and the small squad, that come Feb/March we would be burned out. Therefore in January it was vital we signed reinforcements. We signed Kadeem Harris who is yet to play and Filip Kiss, who we had already and is lucky to make the bench these days.

2. Also since October its been clear that we were in desperate need of some pace, particularly on the flanks. Yet we have not signed a single player who could be described as being any quicker than what we have, in fact Lawrence looks slower than most of our midfield!

3. Since October it has also been clear that Kenny Miller was the only striker that Malky trusted in the squad to get us goals. When he was banging them in that was great but we were all worried what would happen if he were to get injured or lose his form. Now he has lost his way in front of goal we struggle to score and we are relying on Rudy, who is raw and completely unproven, Mason, who is just a kid, and Earnie who has hardly had a kick all season.

4. Again, with such a small squad, and not strengthening, it is obviously imperative to rotate the squad. On the bench we have the likes of Blake, Conway, Kiss and Earnie who could all do a job, particularly when McNaughton, Gunnarson, Cowie and Miller have struggled in recent weeks. Its not even the fact that these subs are not given a chance in the starting line-up, they are lucky to even get on the pitch. Last night Cowie once again looked shattered, the intensity and energy he had in his game at the start of the season has slowly faded yet still Conway didnt get on.

5. Throughout the season we have mixed it up tactically, some games 442 others 451. Yet recently the choice of tactics has baffled me. 451 at home to a team in the relegation zone???? This formation would be fine if you have two quick, goalscoring wingers who join up with the forward but we had Cowie and Lawrence!!!! Its no wonder we looked so blunt in the final 3rd last night.

6. I applaud Malky for being so strict on the standard of player he wants to bring to the club. I never want to see another JLS or JET play for us again but I do think he needs to slightly relax his requirements as at Championship level you are going to struggle to buy or loan a good player with an excellent work ethic and attitude, these types of players are generally found in the Premier League. At championship level if you want to get a player with a bit of x factor you have to be willing to take a bit of a gamble and have faith that you can nurture a players ability. You're effectively looking for a rough diamond. To date Malky has shown no inclination to sign such a player.

Malky has been a breath of fresh air this season and I'm glad he is manager of our football club but he got us into such an incredible position that its heartbreaking to see us slide down the table when many fans saw this coming in October. It's been as frustrating a capitulation as any of DJs!!

Good post and spot on mate.

Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:47 am

At the moment Malky is comparable with DJ. We can see why it hasn't worked especially the 3 home games against pretty mediocre opposition in Championship standards.
Like DJ Malky is stubborn to the point it is detrimental to the Club. It's got to the point I am loosing faith in Malky and that is a shame as it was going so well.

Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:56 am

Malky obviously has a limited player wage budget which many of the so called fringe players are eating away at for just doing nothing so until these players go then its obvious that new players just simply wont arrive here at the mo , end result Malky has a limited squad with only 1 proven goalscorer in midfield and upfront so is going to play these 2 as much as poss . Plus he then has the find the right balance in midfield which accounts for the different selections and the tactic the past 4 or 5 games ..... only question I have is to why Darcy Blake hasnt started a game since his man of the match performance against Pompey at home ??