Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Despite The Disappointment Of That Late Goal Last Night "

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:16 am

I thought there were so many positive things to take out of the game.

First and foremost is that despite having had a disappointing run of home results in March, 2 points from 12, I actually thought we started the game really well last night. And in my opinion that shows the team still believe in themselves and more importantly they are still playing for the manager, for the shirt and for us the fans.

Steve McPhail I thought was excellent in the first half, so calm and so composed he looked like he had never been away and so much of the postive play started from him. Sadly he was always going to run out of steam but I hope he can say fit because he was at the centre of the best footballing move I've seen at the stadium this season. We must have put together 40 passes in a move full of crisp passing, excellent movement which resulted in Gunnarson getting in on goal. If he had scored it would have been one of the best goals we have scored this season, McPhail was central to it but almost every city player touched the ball, including Marshall, and the whole thing flies in the face of the allegation that we just hoof it forward.

In that first half we could and should have scored more but sadly we didn't and given Coventry are fighting for thier lives they were always going to come back into the game.

When they deservedly did you have to give credit to MM he changed the 4-5-1 to a more fluid 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 with Mason, Gestede and Earnshaw and the game changed again. It became far more open but the physical presence of Rudy eventually paid dividends as he noded down a ball right into the path of Whitts who finished with his normal ease.

I thought then we would go on and see the game out and we would have but for a 30 yard scimmer of a shot which somehow found it's way under David Marshall. The fact that Coventry were forced to try a speculative 30 yard effort was credit to the shape and organisation with which we were defending, it may not seem like it when your there because you just want someone to send it into row z but Coventry at that stage were just lobbing hopeful balls into that huge forward they sent on.

In short we were unlucky last night not to hold on to the 3 points but when you consider the other results this week very little has changed. But for me we are slowly getting back to the team we were earlier in the season and that's a huge positive.

It now looks like the playoff positions will go down to the last round of matches, and we are still very much in the mix, and despite the disappointment I felt leaving the ground last night I haven't give up yet.

Neither has our manager or our players it's jusy squeeky bum time so sit back and enjoy the ride.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: Despite The Disappointment Of That Late Goal Last Night

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:19 am

Just to add a little balance to the post, we were after all playing a poor Coventry side in the bottom three.

Re: Despite The Disappointment Of That Late Goal Last Night

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:19 am

I need some Prozac as well Chief :lol: :lol: :lol:

Re: " Despite The Disappointment Of That Late Goal Last Night "

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:24 am

Gary, we rarely disagree with each other, but a against a lowly/appalling Coventry side, I could not see positives from last night, we had no shape about us, we could of conceded more goals and we played at home once again with one player up front ?

" LETS BE REALLY HONEST WITH OUR SELVES "
link
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=75476

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:40 am

must have been watching different game to me no shape no tactics no idea sums malky and team up at this moment.playing a team in bottom 3 and starting with 1 up front shocking for most of the game i thought we were playing 4 at back 6 in midfield. liam lawrance total wast of space better on bench send the useless tw*t back to pompy.
Last edited by steve on Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:41 am

I admire your attempt at being positive but last night was appauling. There was very little we can be positive about. Instead of fooling ourselves that last night was good in any way shape of form we are better off acknowledging why we were so poor and trying to rectify it. We were playing a team in the bottom 3 last night, not Liverpool!!!

We lined up in a defensive formation and spent most of the first half passing the ball in our half with no pace or intensity. It was like a pre season game. I want us to play football instead of hoofing the ball but passing it sideways and backwards until some one gets frustrated and hoofs it long is actually worse than just playing long ball football as the opposition has had a chance to get themselves into shape and its harder to break them down. Huge fan of Malky's but last night was a shambles. Even if we had held on to a 2.1 I would have said the same!

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:41 am

I thought we dominated the first 15 minutes of that game, it dwindled to 50/50.. then Coventry dominated most of the second half.. We seem to like losing to the bottom of the league teams, but very capable against the top..
Birmingham away, I think we'll win, Millwall home, we may struggle, that's seems to be the majority pattern for us..

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:45 am

Last night was almost as bad as the previous few games.
Yes we may have had a little better control but we were playing against a very poor team that are going down.

Personally I think Coventry would have been robbed if they did not get a point but why oh why did Malky not bring on Blake for the last 7 or 8 minutes to sit in front of the back four. He may not be the best player in the world but this guy is one of the first choices for Wales.

Malky may yet prove to be the best thing ever to happen for Cardiff City but he needs to sharpen up.

They way we are playing not only will the non playing squad player be off but also the better players. (Yes we do have some).

Its unbelievable that we still have a chance of the playoffs. I remeber I was told that a bad workman always blames the tools that he has. Its time for Malky to show us that he can manage at this level and start getting the results that we should be getting.

Cmon Malky. Pull your finger out.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:25 am

Forever Blue wrote:Gary, we rarely disagree with each other, but a against a lowly/appalling Coventry side, I could not see positives from last night, we had no shape about us, we could of conceded more goals and we played at home once again with one player up front ?

link

It's just about opinions Annis and I think there were signs last night that we are coming out of the dip. We would all be feeling better this morning if we had held on last night because we would be sitting in 4th place, albiet on goals scored from Brighton.

The thing is take Southampton, Reading and Brighton out of the form guide and all the teams around us are in the bottom 12 of the current Championship form guide. In short we are either all as good or as bad as each other and nothing much will change after this weeks round of games. However after the round of matches next Tuesday we will have a better idea of what we need to do to get into the playoffs, and I still believe we can and will.

I did say I thought there were signs that we are SLOWLY returning to the team we were earlier in the season, but we are still some way off our best I accept that. I also agree that there were things that were concerning last night, like having 6 players across the field just outside our penalty area 3 minutes into the 2nd half, WHY? We invited them on and they said thank you very much. Are we playing with fear at times, are we lacking belief,are the players worried about letting us all down? Who knows.

But drawing against a lowly side like Coventry is absolutely not the end of the world, ask Birmingham what it feels like to lose 4-1 to the team bottom of the League, Portsmouth had scored 2 goals in 9 games and then do that to Birmingham. Forest had scored less than 1 goal a game before they went to Leeds on Tuesday night and tw*t 7 goals on Leeds. Out of this round of results who has had the worse results? Not us.

It's just the Championship and just because you play against a team in or around the bottom 3 doesn't mean your going to tw*t them, there are no easy games in the Championship.

If you look dispassionately at the performance last night compared to the games against Hull and Burnley we were better, Barcelona standard NO, but absolutely better.

Like I said it's squeeky bum time let's all enjoy the ride.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:25 am

It was a bollox performance and result - end off

Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:37 am

castleblue wrote:I thought there were so many positive things to take out of the game.

First and foremost is that despite having had a disappointing run of home results in March, 2 points from 12, I actually thought we started the game really well last night. And in my opinion that shows the team still believe in themselves and more importantly they are still playing for the manager, for the shirt and for us the fans.

Steve McPhail I thought was excellent in the first half, so calm and so composed he looked like he had never been away and so much of the postive play started from him. Sadly he was always going to run out of steam but I hope he can say fit because he was at the centre of the best footballing move I've seen at the stadium this season. We must have put together 40 passes in a move full of crisp passing, excellent movement which resulted in Gunnarson getting in on goal. If he had scored it would have been one of the best goals we have scored this season, McPhail was central to it but almost every city player touched the ball, including Marshall, and the whole thing flies in the face of the allegation that we just hoof it forward.

In that first half we could and should have scored more but sadly we didn't and given Coventry are fighting for thier lives they were always going to come back into the game.

When they deservedly did you have to give credit to MM he changed the 4-5-1 to a more fluid 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 with Mason, Gestede and Earnshaw and the game changed again. It became far more open but the physical presence of Rudy eventually paid dividends as he noded down a ball right into the path of Whitts who finished with his normal ease.

I thought then we would go on and see the game out and we would have but for a 30 yard scimmer of a shot which somehow found it's way under David Marshall. The fact that Coventry were forced to try a speculative 30 yard effort was credit to the shape and organisation with which we were defending, it may not seem like it when your there because you just want someone to send it into row z but Coventry at that stage were just lobbing hopeful balls into that huge forward they sent on.

In short we were unlucky last night not to hold on to the 3 points but when you consider the other results this week very little has changed. But for me we are slowly getting back to the team we were earlier in the season and that's a huge positive.

It now looks like the playoff positions will go down to the last round of matches, and we are still very much in the mix, and despite the disappointment I felt leaving the ground last night I haven't give up yet.

Neither has our manager or our players it's jusy squeeky bum time so sit back and enjoy the ride.

I agree wholeheartedly with this post. Yes, it was disappointing last night, but I too thought it showed signs of progress. There is too much negativity on this board from some influential people in my opinion.

It's nice to see another positive person on here!

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:41 am

Sorry - I messed up that last post cause I'm using my phone.

Basically, I agree with castleblue wholeheartedly. Let's be positive!

Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:57 am

You haven't got rose tinted glasses,you have rose tinted binoculars my dear castleblue

Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:11 pm

angelis49 wrote:You haven't got rose tinted glasses,you have rose tinted binoculars my dear castleblue

Care to comment about the football?

Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:24 pm

When i see some football being played and not Malky's version of how it should be played,rest assured my dear Nedd Glas i will make a comment

Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:05 pm

Two pints of what castleblue is drinking please :shock:

Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:16 pm

The 40 yard passing move in the first half was a result of none of them knowing what to do with the ball !

But a nice positive slant on the crap that was erved up !! :D

We are still there in the hunt...you are right about that.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:58 pm

castleblue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Gary, we rarely disagree with each other, but a against a lowly/appalling Coventry side, I could not see positives from last night, we had no shape about us, we could of conceded more goals and we played at home once again with one player up front ?

link

It's just about opinions Annis and I think there were signs last night that we are coming out of the dip. We would all be feeling better this morning if we had held on last night because we would be sitting in 4th place, albiet on goals scored from Brighton.

The thing is take Southampton, Reading and Brighton out of the form guide and all the teams around us are in the bottom 12 of the current Championship form guide. In short we are either all as good or as bad as each other and nothing much will change after this weeks round of games. However after the round of matches next Tuesday we will have a better idea of what we need to do to get into the playoffs, and I still believe we can and will.

I did say I thought there were signs that we are SLOWLY returning to the team we were earlier in the season, but we are still some way off our best I accept that. I also agree that there were things that were concerning last night, like having 6 players across the field just outside our penalty area 3 minutes into the 2nd half, WHY? We invited them on and they said thank you very much. Are we playing with fear at times, are we lacking belief,are the players worried about letting us all down? Who knows.

But drawing against a lowly side like Coventry is absolutely not the end of the world, ask Birmingham what it feels like to lose 4-1 to the team bottom of the League, Portsmouth had scored 2 goals in 9 games and then do that to Birmingham. Forest had scored less than 1 goal a game before they went to Leeds on Tuesday night and tw*t 7 goals on Leeds. Out of this round of results who has had the worse results? Not us.

It's just the Championship and just because you play against a team in or around the bottom 3 doesn't mean your going to tw*t them, there are no easy games in the Championship.

If you look dispassionately at the performance last night compared to the games against Hull and Burnley we were better, Barcelona standard NO, but absolutely better.

Like I said it's squeeky bum time let's all enjoy the ride.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

And I always respect your opinions Gary as I regard your posts as some of the best on here. Honestly I said to everyone by me when were winning 2-1 last night, Fantastic we are going to get the 3pts even though we have been dreadful. At times we looked ok in the first half but remember the team that we were playing and all the teams we have played lately. But I still cant wait for Birmingham away. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:58 pm

Wow, no quarter given on here.
So we should all be perfectionists in the workplace? It must be very demanding to work with you guys during the day :lol:

Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:00 pm

alexc wrote:Wow, no quarter given on here.
So we should all be perfectionists in the workplace? It must be very demanding to work with you guys during the day :lol:

Alex
So your happy with 2 wins in our last 12 games and dreadful performances ?
And one minute in top 3 and now 8th ?
So you enjoyed the match last night ?
Going to Brum and Boro away ?

Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:33 pm

well....

For man's survival the brain has learnt to be more susceptible to negativity than it is to positivity.
We are more affected by a bad experience than we are from a good one.
For stone-age man this was a necessity for survival, being more alert to danger meant you stood a greater chance of avoiding it.
This has been carried over into modern life and the brain still implements this in everything we do, work, relationships, watching sports.
We look for negativity more than we really need to and from our early pre-programmed bias, we add more weight to that negativity.
Research has suggested that a ratio of around 5-1 in favour of positive experiences leads to a better outlook,
A run of bad results for a football team impacts how a supporter will judge future events.
More negativity, even lots of seemingly little ones, will ensure that future positives, large or small, are minimalised and that a negative mindset will remain.
An occasional bit of good news, even a substantial one like a win over the best team in the country when your team is not playing well themselves, will not halt a predetermined negative bias.
A long run of positivity or a good stretch of wins will tilt the balance back towards a more favourable outlook for the fans. In turn, this restores belief to the fans, and they begin to become more positive and, importantly, more supportive of the players and manager.
But at this point, the team do not need that support half as much as they did. The support was needed more when the players were down on their luck, and the fans were too busy with negativity bias.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:11 pm

alexc wrote:well....

For man's survival the brain has learnt to be more susceptible to negativity than it is to positivity.
For stone-age man this was a necessity for survival, being more alert to danger meant you stood a greater chance of avoiding it.
This has been carried over into modern life and the brain still implements this in everything we do, work, relationships, watching sports.
We look for negativity more than we really need to and from our early pre-programmed bias, we add more weight to that negativity.
Research has suggested that a ratio of around 5-1 in favour of positive experiences leads to a better outlook,
A run of bad results for a football team impacts how a supporter will judge future events.
More negativity, even lots of seemingly little ones, will ensure that future positives, large or small, are minimalised and that a negative mindset will remain.
An occasional bit of good news, even a substantial one like a win over the best team in the country when your team is not playing well themselves, will not halt a predetermined negative bias.
A long run of positivity or a good stretch of wins will tilt the balance back towards a more favourable outlook for the fans. In turn, this restores belief to the fans, and they begin to become more positive and, importantly, more supportive of the players and manager.
But at this point, the team do not need that support half as much as they did. The support was needed more when the players were down on their luck, and the fans were too busy with negativity bias.

THAT MY FRIEND IS A f*cking CRACKING POST!! One of the best for a while!

Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:14 pm

link

i agree annis i thought it was another poor show did alright in patches but we should have beaten coventry all we had to do was see the game out .good post by gary though

Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:29 pm

sorry to correct you castleblue but it was hudson who headed it down to whitts ,and regarding being unlucky ,if mm had used his last sub and run down the clock they would not of had time to score ,so maybe you make or dont make your own luck ,(but he does have a habit of not doing this remember brighton away), now to my problem with the current crop of players starting .,they are obviously not able to learn from there mistakes becouse they keep making the same fuc.... mistakes. :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?

Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:57 pm

Nice post - wish I'd said that! (although it might be a bit complicated for some of the Jeremy Kyle viewers amongst us)

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:57 pm

troobloo3339 wrote:if mm had used his last sub and run down the clock they would not of had time to score

True, apart from the fact that 30 seconds gets added on when a substitution is made...

Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:25 pm

Quality post!

Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:35 pm

Bollox, as we say in Barry ! :D

Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:25 am

troobloo3339 wrote:sorry to correct you castleblue but it was hudson who headed it down to whitts

On my way to specsavers :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: