Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" LETS BE REALLY HONEST WITH OUR SELVES "

Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:40 am

And not kid our selves.
Anyone who went last night will have witnessed an appalling game of football by two teams and it wasn't just last nights game, Cardiff have been playing awful football for weeks in the league games and if it wasn't for the great Carling Cup Final match a lot of fans would of said this a lot sooner.

Now even if we had won last night I would of said the same,now I never booed and I waited to the final whistle went to leave the ground, so before some fans start saying how negative I am on here or other fans are, if you went last night then I can not see how you can be positive at all. In fact that was utter crap we were watching. Oh and by the way, no Ref or linesman robbed us, Coventry who are appalling themselves but they hit the cross bar, missed a penalty and could of scored from a header.

As I left the ground every single person I passed never had one good word about the game.

So lets all be honest with ourselves, if the team are not tired and there is no excuse for them to be Malky has said, WHAT IS THE PROBLEM ?

Who do you honestly blame ?

If I am so negative why were there only 15,500 fans there last night and season tickets are struggling to sell ?
And don't say the recession because that is utter bolloxes.

On the positive side I cant wait to go to Birmingham away and Middlesborough away. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

And I will have my moan on here but I will never ever stop attending the matches for the Club I love, so all these new fans why have some of them stopped already ?

So were all feeling down.

" But I cant wait for Birmingham away and Middlesborough, its about supporting your club, going with your mates and being there when the chips are down "
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: " LETS BE REALLY HONEST WITH OUR SELVES "

Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:48 am

Good post, in football your as good as your last game and our last 10 league games have been crap. How the hell they can get people to invest in season tickets for next season is going to be a huge problem. :evil:

Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:52 am

Forever Blue wrote:And not kid our selves.
Anyone who went last night will have witnessed an appalling game of football by two teams and it wasn't just last nights game, Cardiff have been playing awful football for weeks in the league games and if it wasn't for the great Carling Cup Final match a lot of fans would of said this a lot sooner.

Now even if we had won last night I would of said the same,now I never booed and I waited to the final whistle went to leave the ground, so before some fans start saying how negative I am on here or other fans are, if you went last night then I can not see how you can be positive at all. In fact that was utter crap we were watching. Oh and by the way, no Ref or linesman robbed us, Coventry who are appalling themselves but they hit the cross bar, missed a penalty and could of scored from a header.

As I left the ground every single person I passed never had one good word about the game.

So lets all be honest with ourselves, if the team are not tired and there is no excuse for them to be Malky has said, WHAT IS THE PROBLEM ?

If I am so negative why were there only 15,500 fans there last night and season tickets are struggling to sell ?

On the positive side I cant wait to go to Birmingham away and Middlesborough away. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

And I will have my moan on here but I will never ever stop attending the matches for the Club I love, so all these new fans why have some of them stopped already ?

annis,you answered my question about how did we play,i was working,and as for season ticket sales,i think we have given our support over the lasst 5 years but,season after season we fall apart,if i was being cynical id say we dont want promotion,but i dont understand why we dont seem to want to go up....people are sick of false empty promises....see you next season thou... :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:56 am

tommo blue wrote:Good post, in football your as good as your last game and our last 10 league games have been crap. How the hell they can get people to invest in season tickets for next season is going to be a huge problem. :evil:

Sadly Tommo in our last 10 league games we have been utter crap and Malky/the team/our club and fans have to be honest about it.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:58 am

krabb wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:And not kid our selves.

annis,you answered my question about how did we play,i was working,and as for season ticket sales,i think we have given our support over the lasst 5 years but,season after season we fall apart,if i was being cynical id say we dont want promotion,but i dont understand why we dont seem to want to go up....people are sick of false empty promises....see you next season thou... :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Kevin, It was honestly dire last night, lets not kid ourselves. Yes for the last 5 years come January we are either lied to or bullshitted.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:59 am

Awful last night again Annis, what's wrong with Conway? Nice to see Harris on the pitch all beit making the 50/50 draw!!

Unfortunately I'm losing patience with a manager that fails to see that width is needed...In fact he does, but Kev bombing forward ain't the answer! Give the Kazeem a chance!

What's more worrying is the posts from Watford fans mentioning what happened to them last year...This season for us is identicle!

Why does Hudson think he's Glen Hoddle all of a sudden aswell?!

Help...we blew it when with strengthening we could be top 2!

Wiggy :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:00 am

thought we played well 1st half moved the ball really well

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:00 am

Good post Annis :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:02 am

We are timing our run to perfection! We'll hit the playoffs flying! :lol: :ayatollah:

keano wrote:thought we played well 1st half moved the ball really well

We played ok for half hour in the first half against one of the worse teams to play at our new stadium and the longer the game went on be honest how did we play over all ?

Annis it was the sign of a tired and jaded team ..... needs freshening up but from where though ? :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:04 am

wigstar wrote:Awful last night again Annis, what's wrong with Conway? Nice to see Harris on the pitch all beit making the 50/50 draw!!

Unfortunately I'm losing patience with a manager that fails to see that width is needed...In fact he does, but Kev bombing forward ain't the answer! Give the Kazeem a chance!

What's more worrying is the posts from Watford fans mentioning what happened to them last year...This season for us is identicle!

Why does Hudson think he's Glen Hoddle all of a sudden aswell?!

Help...we blew it when with strengthening we could be top 2!

Wiggy :ayatollah:

Wiggy, As I have always said I will support Malky for this whole season, but questions have to be asked and there are many to be.
Yes Watford fans do have a point.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:07 am

Nuclearblue wrote:Good post Annis :ayatollah:

Steve, Sadly I wish my post was not good and I could be posting a positive one, you were there last night and every fan around us never had one good word to say which means there is something drastically wrong on the pitch and off the pitch.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:09 am

Just seen their second goal,....Marshall should have stopped it

Why do we invite teams onto us by starting with 1 up front at home? Madness!

Ruday and Earnie should've started last night with Conway supplying the crosses

The manager has it wrong with a single striker at CCFC stadium we are asking for trouble!

:ayatollah:

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:10 am

wigstar wrote:Just seen their second goal,....Marshall should have stopped it

The manager has it wrong with a single striker at CCFC stadium we are asking for trouble!

Wiggy, why why are we also sticking with some of the same players ?
Also how can you continue to play at home with one striker up front ?

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:13 am

Martyn1963 wrote:Annis it was the sign of a tired and jaded team ..... needs freshening up but from where though ? :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Martyn, many of them are tired, but there are also plenty of other players dying to start ? ? ?

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:14 am

Well we are at least consistent. We have not played well for such a long while now, you cannot blame it on bad luck,the officials or any obscure event so there is a definite problem in the way we are playing at present. Malky seems to be playing players way out of position and one typical example is super Kev. He is playing almost as a winger except his delivery into the box is not very good and because we are pushing him so far froward, we are vunerable to the counter attack and he has to scramble back out of position which puts a strain on the whole defense.
We must also remember that these are basically the same players that did so well at the beginning of the season and thats why its baffling as to what has changed to make them less competetive over the past few weeks?

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:15 am

Gunner was out on his feet last night, Blakey could've put some bite in there!?

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:35 am

Well said Annis. Ive been a huge fan of Malky all year but the last few weeks have raised some serious questions that need addressing.

1. Everyone knew in October that with the intensity of our football, and the small squad, that come Feb/March we would be burned out. Therefore in January it was vital we signed reinforcements. We signed Kadeem Harris who is yet to play and Filip Kiss, who we had already and is lucky to make the bench these days.

2. Also since October its been clear that we were in desperate need of some pace, particularly on the flanks. Yet we have not signed a single player who could be described as being any quicker than what we have, in fact Lawrence looks slower than most of our midfield!

3. Since October it has also been clear that Kenny Miller was the only striker that Malky trusted in the squad to get us goals. When he was banging them in that was great but we were all worried what would happen if he were to get injured or lose his form. Now he has lost his way in front of goal we struggle to score and we are relying on Rudy, who is raw and completely unproven, Mason, who is just a kid, and Earnie who has hardly had a kick all season.

4. Again, with such a small squad, and not strengthening, it is obviously imperative to rotate the squad. On the bench we have the likes of Blake, Conway, Kiss and Earnie who could all do a job, particularly when McNaughton, Gunnarson, Cowie and Miller have struggled in recent weeks. Its not even the fact that these subs are not given a chance in the starting line-up, they are lucky to even get on the pitch. Last night Cowie once again looked shattered, the intensity and energy he had in his game at the start of the season has slowly faded yet still Conway didnt get on.

5. Throughout the season we have mixed it up tactically, some games 442 others 451. Yet recently the choice of tactics has baffled me. 451 at home to a team in the relegation zone???? This formation would be fine if you have two quick, goalscoring wingers who join up with the forward but we had Cowie and Lawrence!!!! Its no wonder we looked so blunt in the final 3rd last night.

6. I applaud Malky for being so strict on the standard of player he wants to bring to the club. I never want to see another JLS or JET play for us again but I do think he needs to slightly relax his requirements as at Championship level you are going to struggle to buy or loan a good player with an excellent work ethic and attitude, these types of players are generally found in the Premier League. At championship level if you want to get a player with a bit of x factor you have to be willing to take a bit of a gamble and have faith that you can nurture a players ability. You're effectively looking for a rough diamond. To date Malky has shown no inclination to sign such a player.

Malky has been a breath of fresh air this season and I'm glad he is manager of our football club but he got us into such an incredible position that its heartbreaking to see us slide down the table when many fans saw this coming in October. It's been as frustrating a capitulation as any of DJs!

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:38 am

Jimbo27 wrote:Well said Annis. Ive been a huge fan of Malky all year but the last few weeks have raised some serious questions that need addressing.

1. Everyone knew in October that with the intensity of our football, and the small squad, that come Feb/March we would be burned out. Therefore in January it was vital we signed reinforcements. We signed Kadeem Harris who is yet to play and Filip Kiss, who we had already and is lucky to make the bench these days.

2. Also since October its been clear that we were in desperate need of some pace, particularly on the flanks. Yet we have not signed a single player who could be described as being any quicker than what we have, in fact Lawrence looks slower than most of our midfield!

3. Since October it has also been clear that Kenny Miller was the only striker that Malky trusted in the squad to get us goals. When he was banging them in that was great but we were all worried what would happen if he were to get injured or lose his form. Now he has lost his way in front of goal we struggle to score and we are relying on Rudy, who is raw and completely unproven, Mason, who is just a kid, and Earnie who has hardly had a kick all season.

4. Again, with such a small squad, and not strengthening, it is obviously imperative to rotate the squad. On the bench we have the likes of Blake, Conway, Kiss and Earnie who could all do a job, particularly when McNaughton, Gunnarson, Cowie and Miller have struggled in recent weeks. Its not even the fact that these subs are not given a chance in the starting line-up, they are lucky to even get on the pitch. Last night Cowie once again looked shattered, the intensity and energy he had in his game at the start of the season has slowly faded yet still Conway didnt get on.

5. Throughout the season we have mixed it up tactically, some games 442 others 451. Yet recently the choice of tactics has baffled me. 451 at home to a team in the relegation zone???? This formation would be fine if you have two quick, goalscoring wingers who join up with the forward but we had Cowie and Lawrence!!!! Its no wonder we looked so blunt in the final 3rd last night.

6. I applaud Malky for being so strict on the standard of player he wants to bring to the club. I never want to see another JLS or JET play for us again but I do think he needs to slightly relax his requirements as at Championship level you are going to struggle to buy or loan a good player with an excellent work ethic and attitude, these types of players are generally found in the Premier League. At championship level if you want to get a player with a bit of x factor you have to be willing to take a bit of a gamble and have faith that you can nurture a players ability. You're effectively looking for a rough diamond. To date Malky has shown no inclination to sign such a player.

Malky has been a breath of fresh air this season and I'm glad he is manager of our football club but he got us into such an incredible position that its heartbreaking to see us slide down the table when many fans saw this coming in October. It's been as frustrating a capitulation as any of DJs!

Jimbo, Your spot on, even Malky said last Oct publicly 3 times that we needed more players ?

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:50 am

if we're in this position next season with Malky and things are basically the same, then I will feel let down. This season I don't. Yes the football is not the best, but it's all new.. may be the same old fans (some new ones), the new stuff needs time to bed in, and as frustrating as it is for those of us that want to support City we have to grin and bear it for this season, as I said, if it's the same as this next season, yes we do have problems.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:52 am

6blubirds wrote:if we're in this position next season with Malky and things are basically the same, then I will feel let down. This season I don't. Yes the football is not the best, but it's all new.. may be the same old fans (some new ones), the new stuff needs time to bed in, and as frustrating as it is for those of us that want to support City we have to grin and bear it for this season, as I said, if it's the same as this next season, yes we do have problems.

There is a problem other wise 4,500 season tickets holders would not have gone missing last night ?

Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:01 am

Forever Blue wrote:
6blubirds wrote:if we're in this position next season with Malky and things are basically the same, then I will feel let down. This season I don't. Yes the football is not the best, but it's all new.. may be the same old fans (some new ones), the new stuff needs time to bed in, and as frustrating as it is for those of us that want to support City we have to grin and bear it for this season, as I said, if it's the same as this next season, yes we do have problems.

There is a problem other wise 4,500 season tickets holders would not have gone missing last night ?

We're only focussing on missing season ticket holders because we lost, and have been on a losing run.. how many missing season ticket holders were missing for other mid week games throughout this season. A few I know were working, others couldn't go because co-incided with other family commitments, and felt they were taking the P*** with their families to go to another city game which is the 3rd in 8 days.
I'm not saying that some are not digging their heels in and making a point by not going either, but we can't speculate that, that's the only reason.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:04 am

6blubirds wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

We're only focussing on missing season ticket holders because we lost, and have been on a losing run.. how many missing season ticket holders were missing for other mid week games throughout this season. A few I know were working, others couldn't go because co-incided with other family commitments, and felt they were taking the P*** with their families to go to another city game which is the 3rd in 8 days.
I'm not saying that some are not digging their heels in and making a point by not going either, but we can't speculate that, that's the only reason.

About 2,000 this season, the last few league games its gone up to 3,500 to 4,500. :shock: :o

Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:20 am

the figures are up and down for whatever reason, nobody knows why people don't/are not turning up, unless the club personally asks each of those not turning up for their reason(s) why, we can only speculate the reasons.
The fan base will always fluctuate with the fair weather fans and the hardy fans. all I know is there are thousands more watching now than there was when my Dad used to take me down ninian park over 25 years ago ;)

Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:56 am

Good post Annis & I agree.

Last night I thought we were appalling. Mark Hudson was forced to be our playmaker from the back as everyone else has run out of ideas. The tempo was slow and why we play one up front at home with strikers available against a poor struggling team when we need a win is beyond me.

In fairness to Malky though he did change the system and it worked until injury time.

I've been trying to work out whether it's the players at fault for not seeing the game out or the manager for not breaking up play/time wasting by bringing Darcy on for the last 5 mins. Either way, all things considered, it was a pathetic result :shock:

I have backed Malky from day one but could see this happening a mile off when we didn't strengthen in the window.

Things might look different if we go to Birmingham and get a win though :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:48 am

As much as we were poor, I thought Coventry played very well for a side at the bottom of the league and no one could have complained if they had nicked it :(

The players and staff need to buck the ideas up starting on sunday :ayatollah: Ill be there :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:11 pm

I think we are all pissed off and I subconsciousness have been since christmas. In december I was buying tickets for three home games in the future, I haven't even bought my Millwall tickets yet.

To me its not about false promises, I am 44 so have never seen us higher than this level, so the promised land is not all that matters to me. I want to be entertained. Even in the dungeon days it was entertaining, get the ball forward quick, players making mistakes and goals.

I would rather lose 3-4 than watch a 0-0 because we are treating any team in our league like they are Manchester United.

This has been a real beauty and the beast season, but sadly its the wrong way around. We started off playing some stunning stuff then the wheels fell off. If Malky was on a 8 match unbeaten run now and we were a couple of points off the playoffs season tickets would be doing better, but lets not kid ourselves the only momentum around us at the moment is negative, that's not initiated from the fans, that's what happens when you set up at home like an Italian serie A team from the 70' s.

Malky is the manager,he sets the tone !!!!

I still trust him, but that recruitment department better be working Overtime from now until August.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:53 pm

NickPenarth wrote:Good post Annis & I agree.

Last night I thought we were appalling. Mark Hudson was forced to be our playmaker from the back as everyone else has run out of ideas. The tempo was slow and why we play one up front at home with strikers available against a poor struggling team when we need a win is beyond me.

In fairness to Malky though he did change the system and it worked until injury time.

I've been trying to work out whether it's the players at fault for not seeing the game out or the manager for not breaking up play/time wasting by bringing Darcy on for the last 5 mins. Either way, all things considered, it was a pathetic result :shock:

I have backed Malky from day one but could see this happening a mile off when we didn't strengthen in the window.

Things might look different if we go to Birmingham and get a win though :ayatollah:

I still stand by the fact never strengthened and sadly we are now regretting it big time.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:26 pm

wigstar wrote:Just seen their second goal,....Marshall should have stopped it

Your right Conway should have started. But I'm not buying into ernie and rudy. Them 2 are probably the worst strikers I've seen at city for some years. Rudy is brainless. And earnie hasn't learned anything since he was here last.