Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Will this old proverb haunt the Malaysians?

Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:56 am

There is an old saying " If someone spoils the ship for a ha'pworth (halfpenny's worth) of tar", they spoil something completely by trying to make a small economy. We were in a good position and for the sake of spending just a fraction of what the Malaysians have spent so far, we could now be nailed on for promotion.

If these Malaysians ran a formula 1 team and were in the top three during a race, it would be the equivalent of them doing the final pit stop and only putting 3 good tyres on.In other words its frustrating that we are falling behind but not surprising given that they have not continued with a full commitment to the very end (and at a cricial time) which could have netted them huge rewards. All this is a great shame because they may never have a better opportunity than the one presented to them 3 months ago. Have they blown it?............ over to you.

Re: Will this old proverb haunt the Malaysians?

Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:05 am

Totally agree with you. So near yet so far. Everyone is obviously grateful for their financial support but by spending a bit extra during the transfer window could have made all the difference and achieved the trip to the promised land. We knew that we did not have depth and lacked in certain positions.

The problem is that whilst in a similar position last year extra funds were made available to DJ and we did not get promoted so they may have considered why take that gamble again? We don't know if funds were made available or not or whether it was Malkys decision not to to use the funds because the 'right' players were not available. Just seems a wasted opportunity when you are that close. If we were mid table it would not have mattered but when you are 2 points off the top, lets go for it! History now anyway!

Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:17 am

Well it depends if we had money or not. Some are saying yes, some are saying no......one day we will find out hopefully.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:27 am

Bakedalasker wrote:Well it depends if we had money or not. Some are saying yes, some are saying no......one day we will find out hopefully.

You are spot on. It may have been wrong to assume that the Malaysians are not fully committed till the end because for all I know, they may have made the funds fully available but Malky (for whatever reason) was unable to secure the quality that was needed.
I think that deep down, all our frustrations are based on the fact that we were in a great position again and it just needed that little bit extra only to find it did not materialise. It is also frustrating that as fans, we do not know the reason as to why we did not strengthen. It just leaves you frustrated knowing that we seem to have missed a great opportunity and we now seem to be paying for it by fading away week by week.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:21 pm

bridgendbluebird30 wrote:Totally agree with you. So near yet so far. Everyone is obviously grateful for their financial support but by spending a bit extra during the transfer window could have made all the difference and achieved the trip to the promised land. We knew that we did not have depth and lacked in certain positions.

The problem is that whilst in a similar position last year extra funds were made available to DJ and we did not get promoted so they may have considered why take that gamble again? We don't know if funds were made available or not or whether it was Malkys decision not to to use the funds because the 'right' players were not available. Just seems a wasted opportunity when you are that close. If we were mid table it would not have mattered but when you are 2 points off the top, lets go for it! History now anyway!

I totally agree that the Malaysian's financial support is welcomed by all and we do have to thank them otherwise we could be in a far worse position. I am struggling to fathom as to why someone would plough millions into a club and then fail to invest a little bit more at the right time to ensure guranteed financial safety that would be assured if we were promoted.
I dont know if the money was fully made available in order to strengthen but if it was asked for then you would have thought that the Malaysians would recognise that it was requested for a valid reason and ensure that it was not only given but also spent in order to protect their investment. The truth may come out eventually but we have now missed the boat unless Malky can pull the rabbit out of the hat by close of deadline day today.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:29 pm

I got another old Malyasian proverb for you " Man with hole in pocket feel cocky all day " . :D

Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:38 pm

[quote="T-G-I-ROBINFRIDAY"]I got another old Malyasian proverb for you " Man with hole in pocket feel cocky all day " .

CLASS :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:14 pm

T-G-I-ROBINFRIDAY wrote:I got another old Malyasian proverb for you " Man with hole in pocket feel cocky all day " . :D

Very good. But I think our Malaysians use the following proverb: "The safest way to double your money is to fold it over and put it in your pocket."

Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:30 pm

Hype Hype Hype'''''''''Nothing but Hype. The amount of money's said to have been spent by the Malaysians and others is well over exaggerated, scamming from top to bottom at CCFC I'm afraid!!! :old: