Pound for pound which is wales best Boxer

You may select 1 option

View results

Wales best pound for pound boxer ever !! Poll

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:33 pm

Who is the best. Should be interesting

Re: Wales best pound for pound boxer ever !! Poll

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:38 pm

I went for Jimmy Wilde because he only lost a few times in over 800 bouts. The guy was inspirational. Yes Joe would of been my second with Driscoll third. But Wilde in my opinion one of the best Boxers that ever lived :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:38 pm

What is actually meant when people say 'pound for pound..?' I always wondered or is this just more Americanisum coming into the English language..?

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:41 pm

no colin jones :roll:

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:43 pm

Angry Man wrote:What is actually meant when people say 'pound for pound..?' I always wondered or is this just more Americanisum coming into the English language..?

Chief it means who is the best Boxer not depending on weight. IE Mayweather is a different weight to the Klitschkos but the best boxer in my opinion is Mayweather :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:44 pm

jackjack wrote:no colin jones :roll:

Colin Jones is included Chief :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:47 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:
Angry Man wrote:What is actually meant when people say 'pound for pound..?' I always wondered or is this just more Americanisum coming into the English language..?

Chief it means who is the best Boxer not depending on weight. IE Mayweather is a different weight to the Klitschkos but the best boxer in my opinion is Mayweather :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

So you can't really compare then because different weights really have different approaches to fight.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:50 pm

Angry Man wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:

So you can't really compare then because different weights really have different approaches to fight.

Not at all. Would you like to say what those different approaches are Angry man and please don't loose your temper.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:52 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:
Angry Man wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:

Not at all. Would you like to say what those different approaches are Angry man and please don't loose your temper.

Well the lighter boxers are mainly quicker and thats pleasing to the eye were as the bigger boxers are slower and can come across as boring to watch.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:57 pm

Angry Man wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:
Angry Man wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:

Well the lighter boxers are mainly quicker and thats pleasing to the eye were as the bigger boxers are slower and can come across as boring to watch.

And does Ali come under that philosophy ? In my opinion we haven't had a really great heavyweight since the 70s. Maybe Tyson early career and Holyfield but that is it.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:58 pm

Wilde for me. But I did smile at the vote for Robbie. Top bloke :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:00 am

Nuclearblue wrote:
Angry Man wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:
Angry Man wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:

And does Ali come under that philosophy ? In my opinion we haven't had a really great heavyweight since the 70s. Maybe Tyson early career and Holyfield but that is it.

Please note that I said 'mainly' however Ive watched Alis fights on ESPN classic and so on and like 70's football the speed is far slower than what some may like to remember

Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:01 am

Ackers wrote:Wilde for me. But I did smile at the vote for Robbie. Top bloke :ayatollah:

Yes met Robbie Regan as he lives by me. A very good fighter and an excellent Body puncher. Heartbreaking how his career finished. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:04 am

Chief it means who is the best Boxer not depending on weight. IE Mayweather is a different weight to the Klitschkos but the best boxer in my opinion is Mayweather :ayatollah: :ayatollah: [/quote]

So you can't really compare then because different weights really have different approaches to fight.[/quote]
Not at all. Would you like to say what those different approaches are Angry man and please don't loose your temper.[/quote]

Well the lighter boxers are mainly quicker and thats pleasing to the eye were as the bigger boxers are slower and can come across as boring to watch.[/quote]
And does Ali come under that philosophy ? In my opinion we haven't had a really great heavyweight since the 70s. Maybe Tyson early career and Holyfield but that is it. [/quote]

Please note that I said 'mainly' however Ive watched Alis fights on ESPN classic and so on and like 70's football the speed is far slower than what some may like to remember[/quote]

Thats why i said pound for pound. If you find the better boxer to be of a smaller build that is your opinion Steve or is it Midfield General ?

Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:07 am

I expect Joe to win hands down as this is the Boxer we have all seen box. And in many ways i can't disagree with this choice.

Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:08 am

Nuclearblue wrote:
Ackers wrote:Wilde for me. But I did smile at the vote for Robbie. Top bloke :ayatollah:

Yes met Robbie Regan as he lives by me. A very good fighter and an excellent Body puncher. Heartbreaking how his career finished. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I was with Robbie on Thursday. He had a fundraiser in Merthyr. I have known Robbie years. Like you say it a shame to see the way he is now. Makes my sad just thinking about it. :(

Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:16 am

Ackers wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:

I was with Robbie on Thursday. He had a fundraiser in Merthyr. I have known Robbie years. Like you say it a shame to see the way he is now. Makes my sad just thinking about it. :(

Yes agreed but he is a cracking Lad fair play :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:47 am

Hmmm who voted for Cleverly as really he hasn't hot his peak yet and we don't know how good he is . Wondering those thoughts :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:00 am

Nuclearblue wrote:Hmmm who voted for Cleverly as really he hasn't hot his peak yet and we don't know how good he is . Wondering those thoughts :ayatollah:

i went for percy jones, he won the first actual world title and was around the same time as jimmy wilde who was a great flyweight. i think not a lot of people talk about percy jones as he died at the young age of 29... he fought many of the same names as jimmy wilde and his record is of comparison with jimmys...

Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:00 am

I went for Joe

Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:24 am

I voted for Dai Dower because he is my Girlfriends Uncle, and she said if i didn't vote for him she would ban Sex for me :o :shock: :lol: :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:06 am

Joe Calzagie......don't make me laugh, didnt fight further than Newport did he. :lol:

The Ghost with the Hammer in his Hand For Me.

Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:40 am

Alltho jo has to be the most successfull ,i cant help thinking that he could not live with tho old time fighters,ie farr and wilde,these guys not only won but had to fight bigger and stronger guys in the ring and out to earn there money,today the weights are very strict and if one guy is over then its off,but in the old days these two in farr and wilde had to fight alot bigger guys even before they turned pro,and were hard men from a time were life was hard..
I went for farr,,,

Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:45 am

swansealad69 wrote:Alltho jo has to be the most successfull ,i cant help thinking that he could not live with tho old time fighters,ie farr and wilde,these guys not only won but had to fight bigger and stronger guys in the ring and out to earn there money,today the weights are very strict and if one guy is over then its off,but in the old days these two in farr and wilde had to fight alot bigger guys even before they turned pro,and were hard men from a time were life was hard..
I went for farr,,,

pretty good shout... some say he had the better of joe louis and shouldnt have lost on pts..

Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:48 am

tommy farr highlights, good fight this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASNBHH5Drvw

Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:49 am

swansealad69 wrote:Alltho jo has to be the most successfull ,i cant help thinking that he could not live with tho old time fighters,ie farr and wilde,these guys not only won but had to fight bigger and stronger guys in the ring and out to earn there money,today the weights are very strict and if one guy is over then its off,but in the old days these two in farr and wilde had to fight alot bigger guys even before they turned pro,and were hard men from a time were life was hard..
I went for farr,,,

But Joe would never of fought Wilde in reality because of the weight difference. But heavyweight Farr maybe as the Heavyweights were a lot smaller back then. The Fighters of today are a lot fitter as nutrition was non existent back then, and the likes of Wilde ETC fought in the old Boxing booths taken on all comers, mainly Miners trying to earn some extra money, that is where Wilde fought bigger men,but these guys were not boxers and Wilde would not of lived with a Professional Heavyweight of any time.

Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:56 pm

but wilde did fight all comers in them boothes,,and not 13 rounds but 30 in some cases,and against guys smaller and twice the size,,no mate i think boxers in them days were a lot harder and had hundreds of fights before turning pro,,plus had to fight many times a year at pro level and even more times before turning pro,yes today boxers looked after and tould how to train and what eat,plus given all they are needed,but these guys back when you won the cup ;) had to work in the pitts in the week and fight in fairgrounds at the weekends,they were tough as f**k and if given the nutriton todays boxers have then i think it has to be the older,,,

Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:56 pm

Joe for me but the hardest hitter I've ever seen live was Colin Jones by a country mile

Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:41 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:Joe for me but the hardest hitter I've ever seen live was Colin Jones by a country mile
agreed, that left hook he had, turn your piss to water no bother :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:59 pm

Whoever voted for f*cking Colin tw*t Jones?

Oh yeah ...the Jaybeez