Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Watford fan in peace

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:12 pm

Hello gents,

Long time no see. Just dropping in to see how Malky is getting along? Tough luck in the league cup, was rooting for you and penalties are a rough way to lose any game.

I know you have a game in hand but we are currently 7 points behind you. I think most Watford fans would love us to finish above Malky, I don't expect this to happen and reckon we will probably end up on around 61ish points. Dyche has done a fantastic job in keeping us up this season especially after the way we lost players and staff last summer.

How has life under Mackay been? Has the cow been good this season? He was always a workhorse for us.

Cheers Hornet

Re: Watford fan in peace

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:15 pm

hornet_fan wrote:Hello gents,

Long time no see. Just dropping in to see how Malky is getting along? Tough luck in the league cup, was rooting for you and penalties are a rough way to lose any game.

I know you have a game in hand but we are currently 7 points behind you. I think most Watford fans would love us to finish above Malky, I don't expect this to happen and reckon we will probably end up on around 61ish points. Dyche has done a fantastic job in keeping us up this season especially after the way we lost players and staff last summer.

How has life under Mackay been? Has the cow been good this season? He was always a workhorse for us.

Cheers Hornet

We now have a knackered team and Cowie is extremely knackered!! ---- that said we will win tomorrow and win the play offs ;)

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:19 pm

Blazing Saddles wrote:

Cheers Hornet

We now have a knackered team and Cowie is extremely knackered!! ---- that said we will win tomorrow and win the play offs ;)

How is that? I thought you have quite a large squad? I know you've played a couple of extra games in the league cup but surely thats not enough to wear out your squad? Apparently we have used 33 different players this season, quite astonishing really but we have had quite a few loanees and youngsters in the team at various points.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:19 pm

Cowie has been very good but of late like the squad has struggled.
Big blip of late.
Hoping tomorrow we can shoot back into the play offs.
I'm sure u all would love to finish above us :lol:

Think we will scrape. Play off place tho.

He has done fantastically well but last ten games...

Same strategy,
Same 451 formation,
Not utilising subs as much as we would like but what do we know :ayatollah:

Says he's been backed financially but no signings in jan which was hugely disappointing.

Still think he will take us there, very astute, very focussed, very animated, brought some good people and things to the club

I still love him :lol:

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:21 pm

Welcome back hornet fan :ayatollah: up to the turn of the year MM and his backroom team,players have done well (IMO ).

One question for you,if you know roughly the answer mate ;)

How many players did MM bring in from the Jan'transfer window to the end of last season,when at Watford mate :?:

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:21 pm

It's been amazing up until the last month or so.

Since then results haven't gone our way as much as we'd have liked and people are beginning to sharpen their knives.

At the end of the day Malky had to recruit 10 players during the summer and none of us ever expected to be anywhere near this high at the beginning of the season so if we peter out to what was predicted it wouldn't be too bad. (Although a little disappointing when we were knocking on the door of autos a few weeks ago).

The team play as a workhorse mentality with only one or two players or actual quality and the rest using their fitness to press the opposition until we get the ball back and pass it to one of our playmakers.

Well again, that was up until mid January, since then it's resorted to a sort of hoof and hope to our 5'8" striker.

I think the team's low on confidence at the moment as well as a little jaded but if we get a big win tomorrow night I believe we can kick on and cement playoffs.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:22 pm

Most enjoyable season for a long time and delighted with the set up MM is building :ayatollah:

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:26 pm

hornet_fan wrote:
Blazing Saddles wrote:

Cheers Hornet

How is that? I thought you have quite a large squad? I know you've played a couple of extra games in the league cup but surely thats not enough to wear out your squad? Apparently we have used 33 different players this season, quite astonishing really but we have had quite a few loanees and youngsters in the team at various points.

Our squad is tiny. I have about 3/4s of the programmes this season and I don't remember a team that had less registered players than us in the squad page.

What's also a problem is that many of the players left at the beginning of the season were either passed it so our squad is even smaller than it looks.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:28 pm

I disagree, the squad is a good size just to many players for the same positions and on large wages

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:29 pm

I think most of us now realise the Malky is human.

Malky now realises he has come to a club just short of Newcastle for unrealistic exception from the fans.

He is a stubborn little bugger with a poor memory because he can only remember 12 players names and sticks with them. :lol:

To be fair he only had half a dozen dodgy defenders and a few kids when he came here, so has done wonders.

I rate him and will reserve judgement until this time next year.

A question for you,

Did he play Graham and Sordell together and what was his preferred tactic, because all we are seeing is the most defensive 451 since Serie A in the 70's

Good luck for the rest of the season

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:32 pm

2blue2handle wrote:I disagree, the squad is a good size just to many players for the same positions and on large wages

Have you looked at other teams squad sizes in the back pages of the programmes this season?

I don;t think there was a team there that's had a smaller squad than us.

And our squad still has players out on loan listed there.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:32 pm

Ahh quite a mixed bag then really.

To answer a few:

- yes to be honest i would love for us to finish above you, not because i dislike cardiff just because i dont like malky for nicking everyone haha. still i respect the guy as a good manager.

- after christmas last year we really struggled as we lost our influential loan players. taylor and mutch going back in particular crippled our squad. i think if memory serves me correctly we did not bring in any permanent signings. i might be wrong but there are certainly no names that jump out at me, we did bring in some loanees. daniel drinkwater came in and was largely useless, but has since gone on loan to barnsley and be there player of the season so far.

- i think malky has a real problem motivating the players in the latter stage of the season. he felt out with sordell last season around the end of january and dropped him from the team. when sordell got back into the starting 11 a couple of months later he continued to perform. danny graham was always going to leave, and i think that played on malkys mind and he really couldnt be bothered once we were safe. i was very disappointed at the way the season petered out, but am beginning to wonder if it was malky's fault more than the players.

In terms of watford Dyche has done a cracking job. We have brought in a lot of players and we started very poorly. However we have steadily improved as a team and play a mixed style. We go long when we have to, but by the same extent when we get the ball down we tear teams to shreds.

Keep a close eye on a certain youngster named Sean Murray. Perhaps the next Ashley Young, we are unbeaten when he plays in the league for us this season. A bit talismanic.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:34 pm

hornet_fan wrote:Ahh quite a mixed bag then really.

To answer a few:

- yes to be honest i would love for us to finish above you, not because i dislike cardiff just because i dont like malky for nicking everyone haha. still i respect the guy as a good manager.

- after christmas last year we really struggled as we lost our influential loan players. taylor and mutch going back in particular crippled our squad. i think if memory serves me correctly we did not bring in any permanent signings. i might be wrong but there are certainly no names that jump out at me, we did bring in some loanees. daniel drinkwater came in and was largely useless, but has since gone on loan to barnsley and be there player of the season so far.

- i think malky has a real problem motivating the players in the latter stage of the season. he felt out with sordell last season around the end of january and dropped him from the team. when sordell got back into the starting 11 a couple of months later he continued to perform. danny graham was always going to leave, and i think that played on malkys mind and he really couldnt be bothered once we were safe. i was very disappointed at the way the season petered out, but am beginning to wonder if it was malky's fault more than the players.

In terms of watford Dyche has done a cracking job. We have brought in a lot of players and we started very poorly. However we have steadily improved as a team and play a mixed style. We go long when we have to, but by the same extent when we get the ball down we tear teams to shreds.

Keep a close eye on a certain youngster named Sean Murray. Perhaps the next Ashley Young, we are unbeaten when he plays in the league for us this season. A bit talismanic.

Can we make a deal?

We have Malky first half of the season, then Sean Dyche second half? :D

Although I can't personally stand Sean Dyche, his voice grates on me and he turned down the mighty Cardiff's assistant manager job to stay at Watford.

NO ONE REJECTS CARDIFF! (Except Sordell :oops:)

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:35 pm

to be honest when Malky was with us we played either 4-4-2 with graham and sordell/weimann/deeney (very occasionally) up front with 2 wingers or a 4-5-1 with one of the midfielders pushed up behind graham on the break. the 4-5-1 certainly seemed to work wonders away from home playing on the counter-attack, our 3-1 at QPR was masterful management.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:38 pm

hornet_fan wrote:Ahh quite a mixed bag then really.

To answer a few:

Cheers mate..as i thought not many players came in...Good luck with the rest of the season.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:39 pm

Did Watford ever use the formation of 0-10-0 ? Malky loves that system all the players running around in a big bunch shouting "Oh were gonna crash"

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:40 pm

Aramore wrote:
Can we make a deal?

We have Malky first half of the season, then Sean Dyche second half? :D

Although I can't personally stand Sean Dyche, his voice grates on me and he turned down the mighty Cardiff's assistant manager job to stay at Watford.

NO ONE REJECTS CARDIFF! (Except Sordell :oops:)

haha NO!!!!!! a firm rejection. If you listen to Dychey for long enough you grow to love his voice. He also looks a bit like Stone Cold Steve Austin.

I love the spirit he has put in our team this season. He has worked very hard, some wanted to get rid of him and I have to say I had my doubts, but he has proved all his doubters wrong. He has introduced some youngsters (ala sean murray) at the right time and we are now reaping the benefits. Not sure if we will surpass last seasons points total, but an assault on the top half of the table for next season has to be our aim I reckon.

Hehe the sordell scenario was quite funny when it happened. There were a few wry smiles around Vicarage Road, Im afraid the chairman was never going to sell to you, he was just winding Malky up! :D

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:40 pm

hornet_fan wrote:to be honest when Malky was with us we played either 4-4-2 with graham and sordell/weimann/deeney (very occasionally) up front with 2 wingers or a 4-5-1 with one of the midfielders pushed up behind graham on the break. the 4-5-1 certainly seemed to work wonders away from home playing on the counter-attack, our 3-1 at QPR was masterful management.

What I think is our main problem at the moment is that we have two key players that are essential to how we play so these are first on the team sheet.

Then we have good players that also play these positions but because of the key players playing there they're placed out of position.

Couple that with our full backs being caught out due to our lack of width and we're quite vulnerable atm.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:44 pm

hornet_fan wrote:to be honest when Malky was with us we played either 4-4-2 with graham and sordell/weimann/deeney (very occasionally) up front with 2 wingers or a 4-5-1 with one of the midfielders pushed up behind graham on the break. the 4-5-1 certainly seemed to work wonders away from home playing on the counter-attack, our 3-1 at QPR was masterful management.

Its pretty clear its his prefered formation here its just we dont have the players to play it sadly but he will get them next season im certain :ayatollah:

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:47 pm

hmm i see. i think Malky was disappointed at the lack of finances available at Watford last January. Can't really understand why he would not spend, unless he mistakenly thought that he did not need to?

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:48 pm

hornet_fan wrote:hmm i see. i think Malky was disappointed at the lack of finances available at Watford last January. Can't really understand why he would not spend, unless he mistakenly thought that he did not need to?

He bid but we didnt get them

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:49 pm

hornet_fan wrote:hmm i see. i think Malky was disappointed at the lack of finances available at Watford last January. Can't really understand why he would not spend, unless he mistakenly thought that he did not need to?

He tried to sign Noone from Brighton, but Noone's agent was playing us so he could get a new contract for Noone at brighton.

He put in a low offer for Matt Phillips either expecting to negotiate or as a smokescreen.

Then we almost got Sordell from you but Bolton gazumped us last minute.

I'm sure we had a few other secret bids too.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:49 pm

2blue2handle wrote:

who were you in for?

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:50 pm

This is my favourite post of the month, hope this is just is the lack of personnel, nobody surely wants to play 451 at home.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:52 pm

hornet_fan wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

who were you in for?

Noone BHA winger and I guess you know we had a bid accepted for Sordell

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:56 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
hornet_fan wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

who were you in for?

Noone is a good player, think you probably have struggled to pry him away from Poyet though, his players really seem to like him. I just think he is a **** lol.

Yer, sordell was a strange one really wasnt it. Our chairman says he never was going to sell to you after we had sold to Bolton. Makes it sound all a bit like brinkmanship really. Rumour has it though that sords was sold to enable us to pay off an outstanding bond to the previous owners and give us some money to get to the end of the season, so had the money been right he probably would have gone to you. I am aware though that our chairman really doesnt like Malky, so again it almost wound not surprise me if he had just done it to wind him up.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:58 pm

llan bluebird wrote:

This is my favourite post of the month, hope this is just is the lack of personnel, nobody surely wants to play 451 at home.

glad to make your day mate. so i take it Malky has taken to playing a 4-5-1 at home?

Im very surprised as when Malky was here the squad rotated a fair bit. We had a lot of youngsters in the team, but we did have some real quality players too. Graham was outstanding last season and played almost every game.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:01 pm

hornet_fan wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
hornet_fan wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

who were you in for?

Noone is a good player, think you probably have struggled to pry him away from Poyet though, his players really seem to like him. I just think he is a **** lol.

Yer, sordell was a strange one really wasnt it. Our chairman says he never was going to sell to you after we had sold to Bolton. Makes it sound all a bit like brinkmanship really. Rumour has it though that sords was sold to enable us to pay off an outstanding bond to the previous owners and give us some money to get to the end of the season, so had the money been right he probably would have gone to you. I am aware though that our chairman really doesnt like Malky, so again it almost wound not surprise me if he had just done it to wind him up.

That's the impression we got.

It seemed like as soon as we had a bid placed your side went off and offered him to prem clubs for the same amount knowing one would bite.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:05 pm

hornet_fan wrote:
llan bluebird wrote:

glad to make your day mate. so i take it Malky has taken to playing a 4-5-1 at home?

Im very surprised as when Malky was here the squad rotated a fair bit. We had a lot of youngsters in the team, but we did have some real quality players too. Graham was outstanding last season and played almost every game.

Makes sense, if the tables were reversed im sure we would feel the same.
Sordell said he was pulled out your tuesday game to sign for us until Bolton came in so no doubt your chairman was looking for anyone other than us to sell to....prob why MM bid so late

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:09 pm

it would not surprise me. im still not quite sure about our chairman, but this one certainly got some watford fans chuckling a bit. ironically since sordell has left we have been playing far better bar a two game spell against palace and southampton. we seem to be playing more as a team, i think the tendency when we had sordell was to just try and get the ball to marv for him to make magic happen. not sure we needed to, we have some good players in our squad and they can do some great stuff when they work for each other.