Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" At His Press Conference Today Malkay Said "

Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:38 pm

When asked a question about the possible tiredness of players that only Birmingham had played more games than Cardiff this season, but only just. Is that right ?

Well we have played 37 League games, 1 FA Cup game and 8 Carling Cup games making a total of 46 matches. Birmingham have played 36 League games, 5 FA Cup games, 1 League Cup game and 8 Europa League games making a total of 50 matches.

What is really interesting for me is that if you look at the amount of time the 12 most frequently used players of each club has spent on the pitch this season, well it tells a bit of a story. On average the 12 most frequently used players of Birmingham have spent 2918 minutes on the pitch for each player, the same statistic for the 12 Cardiff players shows they have spent 3100 minutes on the pitch for each player.

So our players have on average spent 180 minutes more on the pitch than a club who has played 4 more matches than us this season. Anyone surprised that some of our players look tired :? :? :? :?

That's what happens when you make a small squad even smaller by playing the same players over and over again.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: At His Press Conference Today Malkay Said

Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:41 pm

castleblue wrote:When asked a question about the possible tiredness of players that only Birmingham had played more games than Cardiff this season, but only just. Is that right ?

Well we have played 37 League games, 1 FA Cup game and 8 Carling Cup games making a total of 46 matches. Birmingham have played 36 League games, 5 FA Cup games, 1 League Cup game and 8 Europa League games making a total of 50 matches.

What is really interesting for me is that if you look at the amount of time the 12 most frequently used players of each club has spent on the pitch this season, well it tells a bit of a story. On average the 12 most frequently used players of Birmingham have spent 2918 minutes on the pitch for each player, the same statistic for the 12 Cardiff players shows they have spent 3100 minutes on the pitch for each player.

So our players have on average spent 180 minutes more on the pitch than a club who has played 4 more matches than us this season. Anyone surprised that some of our players look tired :? :? :? :?

That's what happens when you make a small squad even smaller by playing the same players over and over again.

Gary, This is exactly what happened at Watford the players were knackered, they give more than their all for Malky in the first 5 months.

Re: " At His Press Conference Today Malkay Said "

Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:45 pm

good stats :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:50 pm

The interesting thing is that the wheels came off for Watford after their game against us in January last season and our wheels came off after the Southampton match at the end of Jan this season. Both clubs had small squads at the time.

Watford went on only to record 4 wins. We don't know yet how our results are going to pan out over the next 9 games . Every club has a dip in form at some point but we have not got out of our slump as yet. If you have a small squad and things are not working out. Rotate and use some of the 'fresh' players. :ayatollah:

Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:51 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
castleblue wrote:When asked a question about the possible tiredness of players that only Birmingham had played more games than Cardiff this season, but only just. Is that right ?

Gary, This is exactly what happened at Watford the players were knackered, they give more than their all for Malky in the first 5 months.

Annis I hope Malkay stays with us for a long time because I really believe he will get us promoted, but, he has to look at whats happened this season and, last I suppose, because he has messed up by over playing our players.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:54 pm

bridgendbluebird30 wrote:The interesting thing is that the wheels came off for Watford after their game against us in January last season and our wheels came off after the Southampton match at the end of Jan this season. Both clubs had small squads at the time.

Watford went on only to record 4 wins. We don't know yet how our results are going to pan out over the next 9 games . Every club has a dip in form at some point but we have not got out of our slump as yet. If you have a small squad and things are not working out. Rotate and use some of the 'fresh' players. :ayatollah:

Yes, very interesting. Here's their last full season;

http://www.cardiffcity-mad.co.uk/result ... ndex.shtml

Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:59 pm

castleblue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Annis I hope Malkay stays with us for a long time because I really believe he will get us promoted, but, he has to look at whats happened this season and, last I suppose, because he has messed up by over playing our players.

Gary, He is still learning and hopefully next season he has a full squad of player that he wants, not half a squad which he inherited. :ayatollah:

Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:17 pm

Agree, Malky needs the time to build the squad that he wants. :ayatollah:

Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:24 pm

Just because the fresh, hungry and desperate to play players are not what he wanted - and more of an inheritance, doesn't excuse him from not having a go and giving them a run out because of our (quite frankly) knackered players. Nobody REALLY expected promotion this season - so he had nothing to lose really. At least then the fans wouldn't be on his back every game about his starting 11. They'd have to find something else to moan about.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:27 pm

It may surprise some to know that Don Cowie has already spent 633 minutes more on the pitch this season than he did in the entire 2010/11 season. :o :o :o :o

Last season Watfords 12 most frequently used players spent on average 3274 minutes each on the pitch and thats for the entire season.

Onle 174 minutes more or less than 2 matches than ours and we have 9 matches left. Really puts things into perspective for me.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:44 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Watford had several loan players recalled, suffered a few injuries.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:45 pm

Merlin wrote:Just because the fresh, hungry and desperate to play players are not what he wanted - and more of an inheritance, doesn't excuse him from not having a go and giving them a run out because of our (quite frankly) knackered players. Nobody REALLY expected promotion this season - so he had nothing to lose really. At least then the fans wouldn't be on his back every game about his starting 11. They'd have to find something else to moan about.
trust me our fans can moan about the grass being too green and why are there so many b's in bluebird :D

Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:55 pm

Still learning.

Anybody can see we need width and pace.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:01 pm

By games he's counting the extra time that so many of our Carling cup games went to. When you add that all on it comes out for Brum having half a game more than us.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:20 pm

players are tired, that was easy to see on sunday...

we should be using the squad, as a fully fit conway can offer more than a 70% player..

the first xi currently may look better on paper etc.. but you also need to be fully fit.

we have decent squad players that are worth using.. i.e. conway, blake, kiss ,ralls even harris, who im sure wouldnt hurt to give 20 or 30 mins too. he cant do no worse...

Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:28 pm

castleblue wrote:It may surprise some to know that Don Cowie has already spent 633 minutes more on the pitch this season than he did in the entire 2010/11 season. :o :o :o :o

Last season Watfords 12 most frequently used players spent on average 3274 minutes each on the pitch and thats for the entire season.

Onle 174 minutes more or less than 2 matches than ours and we have 9 matches left. Really puts things into perspective for me.

What are the odds on the first post stats and the above stats being in tomorrows Echo

Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:39 pm

rontom wrote:
castleblue wrote:It may surprise some to know that Don Cowie has already spent 633 minutes more on the pitch this season than he did in the entire 2010/11 season. :o :o :o :o

What are the odds on the first post stats and the above stats being in tomorrows Echo

Fair play to Terry, he does ask us first for if we don't mind.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:46 pm

Great post by CB as usual.

I've said it some time ago that we have the players in reserve to help us push on. Yes we have a small squad but not that small that we have our top 11 playing 2 more games than Birminghams top 11 who have been availble for 4 more games than us.

I just feel MM has not played the other guys enough and I just cannot see why, I really can't.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:22 pm

Another interesting stat for this season is that even if Malkay uses the 3 sub he has available every game we will still have used 13 less substitutions than Watford did last season.

On his record so far this season he will use no more than 16 of the 27 substitutions available him. Does this go some way to explain why we have dropped 23 points from winning positions. So far in League matches we haven't used 32 substiutions available to us could we have collected more points if we had :? :?

I'll never understand the reasons why we haven't used players like Blake (610 minutes less), Naylor (1958 minutes less), Quinn (1887 minutes less), Keinan(1620 minutes less).

Whatever your feelings about these players last season they were part of a squad which finished 4th in the Championship but this season have been all but ignored. Surely they have something to offer above just having fresh legs.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:53 pm

I Posted this the other night Gary :ayatollah: About how only B'rum had played more games than us,and i think Palace were just behind us at the time.

Interesting info on the players mins,and again as i posted at the time,football is a squad game.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:39 pm

Just to add to the above...i found this link posted before tonights games,which show that we are top in the championship for scoring goals from set pieces -

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... s-not.html

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:48 pm

I think we'll be lucky to win 3 of our last 9 games. Coventry will do us tomorrow night

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:57 pm

almaff wrote:I think we'll be lucky to win 3 of our last 9 games. Coventry will do us tomorrow night

Surely not :?

Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:20 pm

IF we get to the the play offs, and get promoted, and reaching the league cup final = Best season ever :ayatollah:
IF we get to the the play offs and don't get promoted,league cup final = great season considering what we had a the begining of the season :)
IF we don't get to the play offs = we'll blame the league final run for tiring the players and call it a waste of time. :|and question MM ability as a manager
We're Cardiff We're barmy we're off our fkg head
ps
Any of the above can happen :lol:

Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:14 am

Forever Blue wrote:
castleblue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Gary, He is still learning and hopefully next season he has a full squad of player that he wants, not half a squad which he inherited. :ayatollah:

but dont you think even with new players will he still do same recruiting ethos? when what we badly need is a out an out goal scorer will he go for players who can be sold on at profit later! (mason eg) so does that discount the kind player we badly need? (scorer) because if you look at all scorers around they are def not in malkies mold! hence reason we didnt get one in window!