Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Does our club want Premiership football???

Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:34 pm

I asked the question last month....

After fifty years, i,m waiting for the answers.

Re: Does our club want Premiership football???

Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:36 pm

RICK+CCFC wrote:I asked the question last month....

no

Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:39 pm

Well it feels that way at the moment.

I'm just too exhausted trying to work out what they are thinking.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:43 pm

Don't think they're bothered. :lol:

Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:45 pm

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=70752

No replies,,,speaks volumes!!!

Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:27 am

People seem to think we have some devine right to be in the premiership. We don't.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:38 am

2blue2handle wrote:People seem to think we have some devine right to be in the premiership. We don't.

Exactly who are these people then? What exactly does the word "divine" mean?? [ ;) ].

Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:51 am

As much as some fans I guess. Take that how ever you choose!

Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:06 am

RICK+CCFC wrote:I asked the question last month....

After being 3rd in the league for so long and two points off top spot come jan, you would think we should have pushed on and got 3-4 good players in as we was so close back then yet we all know what went on there with are mystery bids 4-5hours before transfer deadline (i guess months before that we didnt look at players). What i can not get my head around is some fans are happy with the malaysians bailing us out at over 1.3 million a month is worth more to them than a 90million prem reward :shock: But what does it all mean if we do not have a squad to get there :?:
Where do they get there return on what they have supposed to put in to the club so far?, After all there was no better time when we was in that position of 3rd with two points off top spot. That told me all i needed to know.
What have we had then well we have had two transfer windows along with two loan windows come two days time yet we got one loan player for a month whos gone back and some kid from wycombe who now sits in are youth team. I guess nine months is not enough for MM to get his so called RITE PLAYERS crap talk. Quite pittyfull to be honest considering all we have had for nine months was MM saying "WE NEED NEW PLAYERS TO PUSH ON" in the media.
Come may we will all be seeing MM blame the fact we never got more in ect ect to why we failed to stay in the playoffs. which will make himself and the club look like prats considering he come out in PUBLIC and said we had over 5million in the transfer window on a real radio sports phone in.

I could go on forever at reasons why we do not want prem football but is it really worth it anymore we all know the truth its just some do not want to face it :cry:

Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 am

I remember some Swans fans having debates about whether or not our board wanted to get to the Premier League a couple of years back. As much as I enjoy a good conspiracy, what reason would your board honestly have for holding back?

Or, would the various payments and bonuses that you may have to pay on promotion be a factor?

Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:25 am

If we went up only a very small number of players could handle the Premiership. They know this so you have to ask the question do they really want it..?

Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:33 am

I think the board would love to get into the top flight but the difference this season has been the fact that they did not want to 'take a gamble' with their money. We were in an excellent position in the table to strengthen the squad in January and to kick on and get automatic promotion but after last years disappointment they did not seem to splash the cash. Perhaps Malky is too fussy, who knows. Most of the teams around us at that time did strengthen and they have moved on.

When we were in a similar position last year Dave Jones did bring in new faces probably on good money and it did not pay off. Being business people I was hoping that the board would have backed Malky in Jan to bring in 2/3 quality players in positions that we needed to fill. That never happened for whatever reason. The board cannot be faulted for the financial commitment they have made to the club but those 2/3 extra players was the difference between playing in the top flight or not. Another season of being so near and yet so far. We seem to have a habit of self destruct after getting ourselves into an excellent position. onwards and upwards ! :ayatollah:

Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:33 am

Angry Man wrote:If we went up only a very small number of players could handle the Premiership. They know this so you have to ask the question do they really want it..?

That was another point that was raised with Swansea, counter argument is that the players probably have massive promotion bonuses tied into their contacts. Then, if they are moved on, it'll be on their terms with a hefty pay off, or a free transfer where they pick up a signing on fee.

You might be right but I can't see it myself.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:43 am

Angry Man wrote:If we went up only a very small number of players could handle the Premiership. They know this so you have to ask the question do they really want it..?

Thats a very good point. Thats all I would say is that when QPR were promoted, they had a good squad and they have since added some quality yet are struggling this season and will most probably end up coming back down. In reality, our squad would be no where near prepared for the premiership and realistically we would have to significantly rebuild to have any chance of survival. If we continue with our track record of not opening the purse strings and attracting quality then we would most certainly struggle as I am not convinced that the Malaysians would spend the amount that would be required to survive which would realistically mean replacing half the squad.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:17 am

2blue2handle wrote:People seem to think we have some devine right to be in the premiership. We don't.

Being there and wanting to be there are way apart!

Only about 12000 (my opinion) season ticket holders next year may make our owners think? It will be hard to get the lost ones back, also my opinion.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:54 am

i cant believe how many opps we have had to get to the prem league and failed, from this we have to earn our right to get there and at present we dont...

we should have made the signings in jan we were we in a great position.. we didnt.

norwich came up to this league and went straight up again, soton are probably going to do the same, blackpool came up and didnt spend to long in this league either, ok they came back down but still got there. swansea also joined the championship after the city and have gone up..

we only have ourselves to blame.. we have had the chance and blew it and its slowly looking like this season may be beyond us again.. if we dont make the play offs this season then at a min that should be the requirement next season.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:41 am

"Does out club want Premiership football"

Yes. Honestly, how can you even begin to question the clubs determination when we are going through a rough patch? Did you question it last year when we went all out and signed Bellamy? Did you question it the year before when we gave it our all in the play off finals?

Lets cut the bullshit here,

We are a club who lost around about 12 players in the summer, we gained 10 new players, signed 2 in January (one was a loan) and we have got a youth prospect coming through who is being targeted by Manchester United.

We are a club that lost its manager and a lot of the back room staff and had to re-build from the very foundations.

We all moaned that the Malaysians seemingly weren't doing enough last year.....This year, they got us the lights we need for the pitch, they are continuing to pump money into the club to try and service the debts, they are paying the players wages etc, they are trying to build us up on a global market and are trying to increase our popularity in Malaysia and have built academys for us to acquire any local talent that pops through before any other club gets a sniff.

We have a young, raw and enthusiastic manager that is highly regarded to go places in football and has a lot of footballing contacts and friends. We are playing different systems to last year, some have been affective, others are burning out. We have the players to gain us promotion, we do not have the overall squad depth of actual talent to provide us with good back up.

We have made a Carling Cup Final against Liverpool and nearly succeeded in beating them to only lose out in a lottery that is penalties. This by the way is not even within the new managers first full season.

We have been told the team wants promotion or at the very least play offs, and all the players are determined to get there. They know they are performing below par and they will turn it around. 1 string of poor results cannot force us to lose all sense of rationality. Remember Novembers under Dave Jones? That time when we wouldn't win 1 game? None of us really complained about that, we just said "oh well, its November, typical us. Always the rest of the season left to go" but now however, fans are turning around and stating that we are doomed, despite this being the first season in which the club has done a massive overhaul of everything. Despite the manager saying that the squad wont be strong enough to maintain premiership football for at least another 3 transfer windows yet.

January window, we make 1 signing in the form of Kadeem Harris, yet to feature admittedly but still. We couldnt make other signings due to clubs shafting us and players shafting us. No matter how much money we threw at them, they weren't coming.

Premiership players to be sent on loan, wouldnt come to us because they didnt want to drop a division. Thats our fault how?

Say we dont get promoted this season. Is it going to me a failure? No. Why? because if you can honestly say that after a complete overhaul that we deserved promotion then you are wrong.

Now say this coming transfer window we spend £4-5 Million and manage to pick up the odd free transfer. That will be used on players that will and to quote Malky "Add to the squad, not just players who can warm the bench". He wants players that will be better than what we have and so he should. If a manager isnt looking for players that are better than our current line up THEN thats when we need to start worrying.

We may not reach it this year, but we will reach it. And when we do you will all be praising the owners and the board and you'll all be saying that the manager had it spot on and praising the team despite (what will definitely happen) us going through a blip in form.

If we cant praise the players, manager and the board now then what hope is there for us ever getting promotion? The question isnt does the club want it, the question is are our supporters loyal enough to stand by the team no matter what and try and push them on?

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:55 am

Interesting reply Lway. On the fans loyalty point, i guess well find that out soon enough.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:05 pm

44 years of support from me, but I have to say that I don't believe that the Malaysians are too interested in getting city promoted.

Honestly think that we are all being fed a load of bullshit. 5 million in the pot for players, yeah right!

Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:21 pm

Think that both the Malaysians and Malky have screwed up. In 3rd place and looking good for autos they should have strengthened but chose not to.

4 seasons running that we've somehow managed to blow it....Anyone who saw that crap game on Sunday knows that this side ain't going up.

The fans ain't stupid and are starting to realize that there is just no ambition being shown by the board. Attendances will now drop!

Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:29 pm

moonmouse wrote:Think that both the Malaysians and Malky have screwed up. In 3rd place and looking good for autos they should have strengthened but chose not to.

4 seasons running that we've somehow managed to blow it....Anyone who saw that crap game on Sunday knows that this side ain't going up.

The fans ain't stupid and are starting to realize that there is just no ambition being shown by the board. Attendances will now drop!

They chose not too? Are you blind to all the talk of us attempting to sign 3 players? Are you blind to the players saying that Cardiff bid for them but the move was blocked in some way shape or form? Are you blind to the fact we are a championship team not Barcelona and players dont flock to our doorstep?

The fans aint stupid? No......they are very much so.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:35 pm

LWay wrote:
moonmouse wrote:Think that both the Malaysians and Malky have screwed up. In 3rd place and looking good for autos they should have strengthened but chose not to.

They chose not too? Are you blind to all the talk of us attempting to sign 3 players? Are you blind to the players saying that Cardiff bid for them but the move was blocked in some way shape or form? Are you blind to the fact we are a championship team not Barcelona and players dont flock to our doorstep?

You use a good word there lway "ATTEMPING TO SIGN 3 PLAYERS" i attempted to bid for things on ebay worth 10time smore never get them :roll: wake up will you.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:08 pm

LWay wrote:

Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:13 pm

LWay wrote:

Mr Alan Shearer was first choice to become our new manager, he turned the job down why?
Because we have no money, or we don't want to spend.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:19 pm

bluebird1977 wrote:
LWay wrote:

You use a good word there lway "ATTEMPING TO SIGN 3 PLAYERS" i attempted to bid for things on ebay worth 10time smore never get them :roll: wake up will you.

So you think that if you dont ATTEMPT to do something it just magically happens? :roll:

No, if a club wants to sign a player the club ATTEMPTS to sign them and if they are unsuccessful the parent club lets them know in the way that they want. A club cant sign a player by saying "You know that Lionel Messi feller....We want him" and then the player is theirs. They need to bid, get the bid accepted and have personal terms confirmed before a move can take place. Unless a move is successfull or the move is still in talks all you can use is ATTEMPT. Just like currently Arsenal are ATTEMPTING to get Lukas Podolski to sign for £11 million, untill all paper work is filed and completed it is only an ATTEMPT.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:21 pm

moonmouse wrote:
LWay wrote:

Mr Alan Shearer was first choice to become our new manager, he turned the job down why?
Because we have no money, or we don't want to spend.

If you can find undeniable truths that what you said about Alan Shearer turning the job down because of lack of funds then i will gladly accept what your saying. If you cannot find one shred of evidence, then you have made yourself look a clown.