Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Dave Jones - Director of Football

Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:08 pm

Im starting to think he shhould have been kept at city to be a mentor to Malky. some kind of director of football if you like.

Too late now Wednesday are bearing the fruits of DJs undoubted abilities but certainly why we were paying him a wage then looking back we could and maybe should have utilised him.

Theres no football person on the board, Dave could have helped attract players, been there to lend his experience to both Malky and the board, and also Malky would be answerable to someone.

We have an inexperienced board in football terms and in an inexperienced manager.

They say its how you deal with adversity that you get to see how good a manager is and so far Malky isnt dealing with it well.

In fact he looks clueless to arrest the slide in performances and thats a worry. Maybe getting a football person at the club would help.

Re: Dave Jones - Director of Football

Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:10 pm

polo wrote:Im starting to think he shhould have been kept at city to be a mentor to Malky. some kind of director of football if you like.

Too late now Wednesday are bearing the fruits of DJs undoubted abilities but certainly why we were paying him a wage then looking back we could and maybe should have utilised him.

Theres no football person on the board, Dave could have helped attract players, been there to lend his experience to both Malky and the board, and also Malky would be answerable to someone.

We have an inexperienced board in football terms and in an inexperienced manager. No

They say its how you deal with adversity that you get to see how good a manager is and so far Malky isnt dealing with it well.

In fact he looks clueless to arrest the slide in performances and thats a worry. Maybe getting a football person at the club would help.

Now now Polo.

Polo, I was starting to think you were intelligent, until you posted this.

I agree we have no one on our board with any football knowledge.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:11 pm

I see what your saying Polo but DJ wouldn't have agreed to anything like that

He's a Football Manager and that's what he loves to do

Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:14 pm

Ok Ok I admit the Dj bit was a bit of a wind up and I got Annis straight away.

I stand by the rest of it though. :old:

Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:15 pm

polo wrote:Ok Ok I admit the Dj bit was a bit of a wind up and I got Annis straight away.

I stand by the rest of it though. :old:

:lol: :ayatollah:

Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:17 pm

Polo i was begining to warm to you after your treatment of swansealad and his trip to Scotland :lol: :lol:
Dave Jones would of just spent all of his time on the Golf coarse just like the last time :ayatollah:

Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:19 pm

Personally I don't agree with the director of football role at clubs, I don't think it works.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:20 pm

I don't think it would have worked, even given the chance. DJ's ego was to big for a start, & i don't think Malky would of been happy with DJ breathing down his neck either. Their would have been no synergy whatsoever.

Remember Alan Cork when Lennie Lawrence was brought to City in the same capacity?

Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:30 pm

I predict DJ will get to the premiership before us.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:31 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
polo wrote:Im starting to think he shhould have been kept at city to be a mentor to Malky. some kind of director of football if you like.

We have an inexperienced board in football terms and in an inexperienced manager. No

Now now Polo.

Polo, I was starting to think you were intelligent, until you posted this.

I agree we have no one on our board with any football knowledge.

Totally sensible post polo. We must have one of the most inexperienced manager/ owners combinations in the league. Not a criticism, Its the truth. Until we get a wise old head between malky and the board we could struggle.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:42 pm

RICK+CCFC wrote:I don't think it would have worked, even given the chance. DJ's ego was to big for a start, & i don't think Malky would of been happy with DJ breathing down his neck either. Their would have been no synergy whatsoever.

Remember Alan Cork when Lennie Lawrence was brought to City in the same capacity?

People can scoff at lennie lawrences shortcomings as our manager, but earnshaw, paul parry, arron ramsey( in the youth set-up) neil alexander, were all young players who progressed to achieve international honours. Didnt seem to harm their development. The latest welsh under21 sqaud doesnt contain 1 cardiff city player.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:50 pm

jama wrote:
RICK+CCFC wrote:I don't think it would have worked, even given the chance. DJ's ego was to big for a start, & i don't think Malky would of been happy with DJ breathing down his neck either. Their would have been no synergy whatsoever.

People can scoff at lennie lawrences shortcomings as our manager, but earnshaw, paul parry, arron ramsey( in the youth set-up) neil alexander, were all young players who progressed to achieve international honours. Didnt seem to harm their development. The latest welsh under21 sqaud doesnt contain 1 cardiff city player.

I wasn't scoffing at LL, i was just pointing out a pertinent fact that the role of manager/director of football just don't mix.
i mean, after all, whats the difference?

Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:03 pm

If done correctly it can work.

Barry Fry and Darren Ferguson for one.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:08 pm

polo wrote:If done correctly it can work.

I'll contradict myself & agree with you, yes it can, but the "chemistry" has got to be right first, if you know what i mean.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:12 pm

I think footballs moved on from the days of a manager who has sole control of every aspect of the club.Player negotiations especially. For example, how can malky persuade targeted players to join our club when we had a night game the last day of the transfer window. The result of that was we failed to strenghen. Youth development is another area that malky could use some help. The lack of football knowledge above the manager is glaring.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:15 pm

Barry Fry loves Posh. Dave Jones, well lets leave it at that.

We are all in for the journey so buckle up.

If this season has been a disaster I can't wait for next season.

I believe in what he is trying to do, I just hope he finds the personnel capable of carrying out the plan. He can't have anyone else, especially a Director of football unless they are in the inner circle of trust.

Like a lot I was pissed off with not the loss yesterday ,(I know it wasn't but it felt like it) it was the lack of ambition at home. A lot calmer today and I stick by the original thought of give him until this time next year before I start to judge him and his philosophy.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:19 pm

RICK+CCFC wrote:
polo wrote:If done correctly it can work.

I'll contradict myself & agree with you, yes it can, but the "chemistry" has got to be right first, if you know what i mean.

Yes of course it has. There have been plenty of non starters. Dennis Wise above Keegan. :lol:

Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:34 pm

Compere us with west spam. Big sam, gould, sullivan, karen brady. Cant stand em, but they have tons of savy and experiance in player recruitment.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:37 pm

jama wrote:Compere us with west spam. Big sam, gould, sullivan, karen brady. Cant stand em, but they have tons of savy and experiance in player recruitment.

Yet they're only third even with all the money they've spent on players and wages.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:38 pm

Aramore wrote:
jama wrote:Compere us with west spam. Big sam, gould, sullivan, karen brady. Cant stand em, but they have tons of savy and experiance in player recruitment.

Yet they're only third even with all the money they've spent on players and wages.

Then the buck stops with Big Sam as hes been given what he wanted

Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:55 pm

Or brum, signed 3 players on loan the day before the fa put a transfer embargo on them

Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:58 pm

jama wrote:Or brum, signed 3 players on loan the day before the fa put a transfer embargo on them

Very shrewd

Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:03 pm

Aramore wrote:

What about reading? Signed jason roberts. We ( supposedly) had 5 mil to spend.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:06 pm

jama wrote:
Aramore wrote:

What wages is he on?

Remember they just got taken over by a Russian Billionaire so they can do what they like.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:18 pm

Aramore wrote:
jama wrote:
Aramore wrote:

What wages is he on?

Remember they just got taken over by a Russian Billionaire so they can do what they like.

Didnt we move on our high wage earners to bring in fresh players? The point is the players we went for could not have asked for the same wages Bellemy/boythrod ect were paid so it shouldnt have been a stumbling block.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:22 pm

I bet Karen Brady doesn't come cheap (no jokes).

I don't know who is head of player recruitment, but he must be trusted or authorised to close the deal.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:34 pm

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfe ... 80626.html

Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:09 am

llan bluebird wrote:I bet Karen Brady doesn't come cheap (no jokes).

I don't know who is head of player recruitment, but he must be trusted or authorised to close the deal.

Whoever he is couldnt close his eyes

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:09 am

TopCat CCFC wrote:http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfer-news/Transfer-gossip-Conor-Sammon-Wigan-striker-wanted-on-loan-by-Sheffield-Wednesday-article880626.html

not good top cat , hes not scottish ;)

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:56 pm

Look at who DJ now wants to sign for Sheff Weds :o

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... owler.html