Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Asian footballers .......

Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:39 am

Why have'nt clubs moved within the British Asian community for talent .It seems that this fear of anything connected to Islam effects even Football .The same fear that existed until clubs like WBA introduced Black players in the 70's .As a club the support we could get from areas of different ethnic backgrounds seems to have been missed .Surely to support Cardiff does not matter what religion or background you are from, but just to have FAITH in the colour of the eleven shirts every week .Its correct what Frank Warren said earlier in the week concerning Amir Khan ,that if he were'nt Muslim he would have a much greater profile within the national press .........

Re: Asian footballers .......

Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:41 am

GUFF wrote:Why have'nt clubs moved within the British Asian community for talent .It seems that this fear of anything connected to Islam effects even Football .The same fear that existed until clubs like WBA introduced Black players in the 70's .As a club the support we could get from areas of different ethnic backgrounds seems to have been missed .Surely to support Cardiff does not matter what religion or background you are from, but just to have FAITH in the colour of the eleven shirts every week .Its correct what Frank Warren said earlier in the week concerning Amir Khan ,that if he were'nt Muslim he would have a much greater profile within the national press .........

I've always wondered why there aren't any islamic players playing for top clubs. Its not as if all of them are terrible at football surely.

Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:56 am

Nothing to do with Islam. Asian communities have never embraced football, they instead prefer cricket and hockey. Look at how long Asian communities have existed in the UK and there have been a very small handful of players to play professionally here

Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:03 am

Their love of sports like cricket is massive ,at the same time many can be seen wearing the tops of the 'big' 4 clubs .Football is 'loved ' by everyone ,its a shame that not many have the love for our team .

Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:11 pm

I'm not sure if he's Islamic or not but if Shwan Jalal the goalkeeper is anything to go by the Islamic community isn't a hub of footballing talent!

It is a strange situation though. There aren't really many Asian footballers around here that stand out. In 5 a side and 4 Walls I've seen very few, if any. I think it's just their culture. Football isn't a big part of it. I'm amazed the countries like China and Japan don't have better footballers though due to their populations. Maybe over the next few decades their teams will become better?