Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" SURELY IT CANNOT CONTINUE AS IT IS? "

Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:34 pm

I have just read through a thread on this board and thought I would start a new thread about the clubs finances.

Before I start I appreciate that some of the figures being posted on this board are a result of my updates and have not been qualified as fact but I will explain as I go how I came to know these figures.

Our current level of debt is by my reckoning over £70million and it is growing daily.

How does the £70million break down?

The Malaysians have so far invested £36million and £6million of that has been converted to shares therefore leaving them owed £30million. Steve Borley told a mutual friend of the figure that the Malaysians have invested after he learned that some posters on this message board were questioning the Malaysians committment.

Steve Borley also told our mutual friend that the Malaysians were putting in £1.2million every month to service the clubs day to day running.

We know there is a figure of £24million attached to Langston but there is also the other aspects of bonuses which become payable if and when certain achievements are made ie.promotion. When everything is added together with the interest then the Langston debt becomes £35million. This £35million is debated between the club and Langston but we know for certain that it is £24million plus the interest.

We also have other creditors still owed money, Ray Ranson, PMG, Steve Borley, Michael Isaac etc. these total more than £5million so we are in excess of £70million.

Now if we take into account that the Malaysians are paying £1.2million each month then the figure is continuing to rise, how long can this situation continue to happen.

The Langston debt will not just go away, regardless of anyone's view of Sam Hammam, it has to be serviced whether it be in 4 days or in 4 years.

The Malaysians debt will not just go away, when the time cones that the Malaysians move on then I do not envisage that the dent will be wiped free.

Our wage bill is 'broadly comparative' to that of last season yet we lost many of the big name players.

So how much longer can we go on adding to an already exuberant sum?

Re: SURELY IT CANNOT CONTINUE AS IT IS?

Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:38 pm

carlccfc wrote:I have just read through a thread on this board and thought I would start a new thread about the clubs finances.

Before I start I appreciate that some of the figures being posted on this board are a result of my updates and have not been qualified as fact but I will explain as I go how I came to know these figures.

Our current level of debt is by my reckoning over £70million and it is growing daily.

The Malaysians have so far invested £36million and £6million of that has been converted to shares therefore leaving them owed £30million. Steve Borley told a mutual friend of the figure that the Malaysians have invested after he learned that some posters on this message board were questioning the Malaysians committment.

Steve Borley also told our mutual friend that the Malaysians were putting in £1.2million every month to service the clubs day to day running.

We know there is a figure of £24million attached to Langston but there is also the other aspects of bonuses which become payable if and when certain achievements are made ie.promotion. When everything is added together with the interest then the Langston debt becomes £35million. This £35million is debated between the club and Langston but we know for certain that it is £24million plus the interest.

We also have other creditors still owed money, Ray Ranson, PMG, Steve Borley, Michael Isaac etc. these total more than £5million so we are in excess of £70million.

Now if we take into account that the Malaysians are paying £1.2million each month then the figure is continuing to rise, how long can this situation continue to happen.

The Langston debt will not just go away, regardless of anyone's view of Sam Hammam, it has to be serviced whether it be in 4 days or in 4 years.

The Malaysians debt will not just go away, when the time cones that the Malaysians move on then I do not envisage that the dent will be wiped free.

Our wage bill is 'broadly comparative' to that of last season yet we lost many of the big name players.

I have been saying this for along time carl and got hammered for it "WHEN WILL IT END" The prem would be the only answer but we need a squad that will take us there 1st and thats all i will say on the matter because anything else i will just get name called and abused :roll: we will all still be there eitherway.

Re: " SURELY IT CANNOT CONTINUE AS IT IS? "

Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:39 pm

The Malaysians have said they are in it for the long term, that'll do me.

"If" these figures (I don't follow rumour) are correct then perhaps certain fans will shut up about bringing in more players.

Nice timing by the way......... 2 days after a momentous day for Cardiff City.

Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:41 pm

boysenclosure wrote:The Malaysians have said they are in it for the long term, that'll do me.

"If" these figures (I don't follow rumour) are correct then perhaps certain fans will shut up about bringing in more players.

Well without the players on the field for a prem push where do CERTAIN FANS as you put it expect the club to be in 1-3 years time if this debt as carl puts it just keeps going up and up because a promotion to the prem is worth 90million after all :?

Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:43 pm

carlccfc wrote:I have just read through a thread on this board and thought I would start a new thread about the clubs finances.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: these are scary figures Carl, don't like the look of this if your prediction is correct, how is this figure ever going to come down, even if we get promoted in the coming two seasons the debt could be uncontrolable :!:

Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:47 pm

boysenclosure wrote:The Malaysians have said they are in it for the long term, that'll do me.

These figures have been known for a while, last week the Malaysians are being praised and now the exact same figure when highlighted alongside the other 'KNOWN' debts you say 'nice timing'.

Are you not at all concerned, bothered or do you not give damn?

Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:48 pm

Why do shares = debt

Why does approx £1m invested each month = debt

How much do we owe to parties outside of the Football club?

Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:49 pm

bluebird1977 wrote:

I have been saying this for along time carl and got hammered for it "WHEN WILL IT END" The prem would be the only answer but we need a squad that will take us there 1st and thats all i will say on the matter because anything else i will just get name called and abused :roll: we will all still be there eitherway.

The debt has to be managed and it must decrease, how the club goes about that is another matter.

Perhaps the club will be floated on a Far Eastern stock market?

Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:49 pm

bluebird1977 wrote:

Well without the players on the field for a prem push where do CERTAIN FANS as you put it expect the club to be in 1-3 years time if this debt as carl puts it just keeps going up and up because a promotion to the prem is worth 90million after all :?

Presuming Carl is correct of course, a mutual friend told me that Steve Borley said ---------------- I usually go by more than that.

As for the Prem being worth 90 million I think thats more than misleading and always have.

Will I take the word of someone on the MB or show faith in the Malaysians who have categorically stated they are in it for the long term ....whilst building up more links in Malaysia?

I suggest anyone who questions the Malaysians intent they come out and publicly state it......instead of stirring things up just days after our final.

People are questioning the Malaysians yet still think of SH as some form of messiah.

Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:51 pm

RobP wrote:Why do shares = debt

Who said shares equal debt?

£1.2million being paid by a party to run the club each month on top of what the club manages to pay by its own means equals debt or do you think it is a gift?

Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:52 pm

carlccfc wrote:

These figures have been known for a while, last week the Malaysians are being praised and now the exact same figure when highlighted alongside the other 'KNOWN' debts you say 'nice timing'.

Are you not at all concerned, bothered or do you not give damn?

I will trust the Malaysians judgement until proven otherwise.... though I understand peoples concerns considering we had a Lebanese businessman who was a charltan.

Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:53 pm

Rob p one of the most sensible things ever said on this mb. Their monthly payments may well be reducing debt.
Imperfect knowledge of facts is a dangerous thing.

Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:53 pm

carlccfc wrote:
bluebird1977 wrote:

The debt has to be managed and it must decrease, how the club goes about that is another matter.

Perhaps the club will be floated on a Far Eastern stock market?

Is this just another stab in the dark?

Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:54 pm

Just to point out that if you want to get your investment out you have to sell it, as the Malaysians only own 49% of the club they couldn't asset strip it out of the club. The money they are pouring into the club is gone they will never be able to take it out. Worse case scenario we take 10 points on the chin and carry on, take Leeds as an example.

What ever the Malaysians plans are there will always be a Cardiff City.

Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:56 pm

boysenclosure wrote:
bluebird1977 wrote:

Presuming Carl is correct of course, a mutual friend told me that Steve Borley said ---------------- I usually go by more than that.

As for the Prem being worth 90 million I think thats more than misleading and always have.

Will I take the word of someone on the MB or show faith in the Malaysians who have categorically stated they are in it for the long term ....whilst building up more links in Malaysia?

I suggest anyone who questions the Malaysians intent they come out and publicly state it......instead of stirring things up just days after our final.

People are questioning the Malaysians yet still think of SH as some form of messiah.

Who is questioning the Malaysians intent? Have I, no I have not.

I am talking about the figures that Steve Borley stated. Would you rather I posted this on the eve of the Cup final? No I guess you wouldn't.

When would be a good time for you? Perhaps if we fail to go up? Or shall we wait until we reach £80million?

When are we allowed to discuss it, should I seek your permission first?

Or should you stop burying your head and face up to where we are?

Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:57 pm

bluebird1972 wrote:Just to point out that if you want to get your investment out you have to sell it, as the Malaysians only own 49% of the club they couldn't asset strip it out of the club. The money they are pouring into the club is gone they will never be able to take it out. Worse case scenario we take 10 points on the chin and carry on, take Leeds as an example.

So now we are talking of administration and worse case scenarios.

I hope the Malaysians don't read this crap.

Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:00 pm

Personally I'd guess that the £1.2 million a month is probably put in under the guise of sponsorship and payment for advertisement on the Cardiff shirts and around the stadium. The same sort of thing that Man City are doing with the £200million shirt sponsorship deal they have going on.

Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:00 pm

Maybe another 1-3 seasons in this league will suit some fans carl thats if we are running as a club in 3years time at this rate who knows, we need prem football and a team to get us there even if it means more risk as the current money we are being bailed out on can not be covered in the championship im sure of that :ayatollah:

Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:01 pm

I know Reading were in exactly the same position after madjeski put millions in building there stadium etc
The cash from player sales went to madjeski to cover the debts the club owed him for player purhases etc.
He's made a good few quid out of Reading, no money he gave was a gift to the club, it as all been pad back with interest.

You can check there accounts and see it there

Speaking to my father in law who is in the know at reading. If they don't get promoted this season (they had banked on playoffs maybe 7-9th). The current owner plans to invest an extra £25mill on player wages and transfers next season.

Hopefully we can push on...
Come on city :ayatollah:

Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:02 pm

carlccfc wrote:
boysenclosure wrote:
bluebird1977 wrote:

I am talking about the figures that Steve Borley stated. Would you rather I posted this on the eve of the Cup final? No I guess you wouldn't.

When would be a good time for you? Perhaps if we fail to go up? Or shall we wait until we reach £80million?

Did Steve Borley tell you?

Perhaps you could ask a journalist at the Echo to ask the relevant questions.

As you are so close to Steve Borley's friend perhaps you could also ask if he believes the Malaysians are in it for the long term too?

If the Malaysians tell the relevant people they are in it for the long term and they reply in the positive would that keep you happy? (I think you will find they already have)

Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:03 pm

If we went into admin would Lanston lose out and we would be 40 mill better off.

Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:04 pm

boysenclosure wrote:
bluebird1972 wrote:Just to point out that if you want to get your investment out you have to sell it, as the Malaysians only own 49% of the club they couldn't asset strip it out of the club. The money they are pouring into the club is gone they will never be able to take it out. Worse case scenario we take 10 points on the chin and carry on, take Leeds as an example.

I was pointing out that the Malaysians are pouring money in and just can't take it back out when they want, IF they even wanted to.

Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:05 pm

bluebird1977 wrote:Maybe another 1-3 seasons in this league will suit some fans carl thats if we are running as a club in 3years time at this rate who knows, we need prem football and a team to get us there even if it means more risk as the current money we are being bailed out on can not be covered in the championship im sure of that :ayatollah:

Of course we need prem football........but no pressure was put on us to get up in the first season.

Malky has said it, the Malaysians have said it......who else shall we ask?

Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:06 pm

carlccfc wrote:
RobP wrote:Why do shares = debt

Who said shares equal debt?

£1.2million being paid by a party to run the club each month on top of what the club manages to pay by its own means equals debt or do you think it is a gift?

Carl,
Why start a thread and then get abrasive when people question you.

You said Our current level of debt is over £70million and it is growing daily.

So do we have invoices, loans etc totalling this amount.

Or put another who outside of the club can take legal action to get their
Money back.

I think we'd all prefer no debt. But it started a long time ago, not just when the malaysians got involved

bluebird1972 wrote:
boysenclosure wrote:

I was pointing out that the Malaysians are pouring money in and just can't take it back out when they want, IF they even wanted to.

They could mortgage the stadium and raise enough through that to pay back everything they have put in and leave you with a massive mortgage.

boysenclosure wrote:
carlccfc wrote:
boysenclosure wrote:
bluebird1977 wrote:

As you are so close to Steve Borley's friend perhaps you could also ask if he believes the Malaysians are in it for the long term too?

If the Malaysians tell the relevant people they are in it for the long term and they reply in the positive would that keep you happy? (I think you will find they already have)

Why not answer what hes asked you boysenclosure you seem to be ok at asking things and carl answers them yet dodge answering anything back with more questions ,typical :lol:

Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:08 pm

boysenclosure wrote:
carlccfc wrote:
boysenclosure wrote:
bluebird1977 wrote:

I spoke with Steve Borley myself and asked him questions after the Reading play off defeat last season, he told me that day that the Malaysians had at that point invested £21million to date, that was nearly 10 months ago, I also asked if he believed the Malaysians were in it for the long haul and his reply was yes.

I hope you are not suggesting I am anti-Malaysian.

Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:08 pm

boysenclosure wrote:As for the Prem being worth 90 million I think thats more than misleading and always have.

Correct.

Bolton, over £100 million in debt. Wigan, £72 million in debt. Anyone who thinks that the Premier League is the answer to all financial problems should think again. The Swans £8 million loss this year was all about bonuses and costs linked to our promotion.

Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:11 pm

bluebird1977 wrote:
boysenclosure wrote:
carlccfc wrote:
boysenclosure wrote:
bluebird1977 wrote:

Why not answer what hes asked you boysenclosure you seem to be ok at asking things and carl answers them yet dodge answering anything back with more questions ,typical :lol:

I answered him...if you are going to ask questions then why not ask the people who matter.......Borley and the Club via the press which Carl has access to, It certainly beats asking a mb where no one has any answers.

Though it certainly pushes the traffic up here.

By the way, Im sure Carl can speak for himself.

Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:11 pm

NJ73 wrote:
bluebird1972 wrote:
boysenclosure wrote:

They could mortgage the stadium and raise enough through that to pay back everything they have put in and leave you with a massive mortgage.

I'm pretty sure the council wouldn't allow that due to some covenant placed on the land.