Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Is there a wage-cap at City..?

Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:02 pm

'Appranetly' there are more and more of these popping up and the clubs who use them like Arsenal are struggling to get the players they want.

Is that the issue here..? Is there a wage cap hense why some so-called bids are being accepted but the players still aren't coming.

Personally Ive questioned the bids in the first place but 'if' I'm wrong on them then is this the real reason why the players aren't arriving..?

Re: Is there a wage-cap at City..?

Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:06 pm

Don't think so, it's not as if noone or sordell didn't sign because of personal terms.

Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:06 pm

You mean the club aren't paying out over the odds ( ie Pompey with a player on 30k )?

You mean the club are trying to manage the income/outgoings gap?

You mean the club are trying to run the finances properly?

Why those FIENDS! How positively EVIL!

Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:09 pm

nerd wrote:You mean the club aren't paying out over the odds ( ie Pompey with a player on 30k )?

Its coming more and more into modern day football, is it so bad that the question can't be asked..? Arsenal have a wage-cap and some are saying that its the wage cap which is stopping Wenger bring in the players that he wants. 'Could' that be the same with other clubs including City..?

Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:11 pm

I thouht everyone knew that Arsenal had a wage cap?

Why do people think that they lose any player that Man City or Chelsea show an interest in? They can't afford to put the wages up that the other big clubs can.

Spurs will have the problem in a few years time. Maybe even this summer.

Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:14 pm

Aramore wrote:I thouht everyone knew that Arsenal had a wage cap?

Why do people think that they lose any player that Man City or Chelsea show an interest in? They can't afford to put the wages up that the other big clubs can.

I never to be honest, however is it in place with City..?

This is not a negative post but 'could' be the real reason why players aren't arriving after having bids accepted.

Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:15 pm

Angry Man wrote:
nerd wrote:You mean the club aren't paying out over the odds ( ie Pompey with a player on 30k )?

Its coming more and more into modern day football, is it so bad that the question can't be asked..? Arsenal have a wage-cap and some are saying that its the wage cap which is stopping Wenger bring in the players that he wants. 'Could' that be the same with other clubs including City..?

Arsenal have a wage cap, also a manager dogmatic in his approach of standing by players he's developed from youth even if not good or consistent enough. Also a manager unable to organise an effective defence.

There will be no wage cap in European football. Any capping on individual players salaries would lead to a lawsuit for a breach of European employment law.

A cap on how much of income can be spent on wages? Sure, could be workable but would benefits teams like Man Yew with massive merchandising operations unduly.

If your points is that the Malaysians should be spending squillions as otherwise we'd never get anywhere, well, plenty of teams get out of this division without spending over the odds.

Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:15 pm

Angry Man wrote:
Aramore wrote:I thouht everyone knew that Arsenal had a wage cap?

I never to be honest, however is it in place with City..?

This is not a negative post but 'could' be the real reason why players aren't arriving after having bids accepted.

I'm pretty sure that City is one of the better payers in the division.

Outside of the money bags clubs like West Ham, Soton and Leicester I'm pretty sure we offer wages that are slightly above the going rate.

Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:17 pm

nerd wrote:
Angry Man wrote:

Arsenal have a wage cap, also a manager dogmatic in his approach of standing by players he's developed from youth even if not good or consistent enough. Also a manager unable to organise an effective defence.

There will be no wage cap in European football. Any capping on individual players salaries would lead to a lawsuit for a breach of European employment law.

A cap on how much of income can be spent on wages? Sure, could be workable but would benefits teams like Man Yew with massive merchandising operations unduly.

If your points is that the Malaysians should be spending squillions as otherwise we'd never get anywhere, well, plenty of teams get out of this division without spending over the odds.

My point is wondering whether that is the real issue because something isn't right that we were 3rd in the league during January transfer window and we get young bench warmers as signings at a time when we should be pushing on.

Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:18 pm

nerd wrote:Its coming more and more into modern day football, is it so bad that the question can't be asked..? Arsenal have a wage-cap and some are saying that its the wage cap which is stopping Wenger bring in the players that he wants. 'Could' that be the same with other clubs including City..?

If your points is that the Malaysians should be spending squillions as otherwise we'd never get anywhere, well, plenty of teams get out of this division without spending over the odds.[/quote]

My point is wondering whether that is the real issue because something isn't right that we were 3rd in the league during January transfer window and we get young bench warmers as signings at a time when we should be pushing on.

Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:23 pm

Angry Man wrote:My point is wondering whether that is the real issue because something isn't right that we were 3rd in the league during January transfer window and we get young bench warmers as signings at a time when we should be pushing on.

Push on, yes. At the expense of causing bigger debt, no.

Long term finances of the club are far more important than any one season.

Otherwise people would be backing the Ridsdale approach of "big push, hope we get up, problems go away". Which is akin to spending all your wages on lottery tickets just in case.

We seem to be getting players in who can fill in here and there short term, have medium - long term upsides without breaking the bank. Players Mackay wants who have been well researched / scouted. Don't think any sensible person can query that as being the right approach.

After all, a certain team not that far away hardly splashed the cash to push on last season and are doing all right for themselves.

Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:26 pm

I wish there was at least that way we wouldn't end up paying Jon Parkin £9k a week :o :o :o

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: