Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Tactics for Wembley....

Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:25 pm

Liverpool break quick, can counter with pace and accuracy. Not the best in the air in the final few yards, unless of course Donkey Carroll is in form? which clearly he isn't. The midfield is strong, pass well and look to get it wide and down the lines pretty quickly. Kev & Taylor will be key players defending and need to be on top of their games!

However, They do tend to let opponents have more time on the ball with their zonal marking - and generally premiership teams allow the opposition more time on the ball than in the championship. So i think on this basis Whitts really has to make the most of any time & space he gets in the middle to pick killer passes for the striker(s).

Set pieces are going to play a big part for us in my opinion, being able to win free-kicks, corners and even penalties if the opportunity arises will play a key part also. We have the quality people to deliver the right balls in to the box, but Liverpool's back 4 are not the best in the world in the air - I'd love to see our big lads trying to out-muscle their center halves for the high balls from corners etc etc. we can be a danger.

Whatever happens, as long as 100% effort is given from all the fans we will be happy - they have done us proud reaching the final. :ayatollah:

Re: Tactics for Wembley....

Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:33 pm

The team I would play Sunday would be:

Heaton (if not fit Marshall)

Taylor
Turner
Blake
McNaughton

Conway
Whittingham
Gunnarsson
Cowie

Mason

Miller

Like you say Merlin, Liverpool will give us more time on the ball and this will suit Whittingham. I also think Liverpool's centre backs lack pace, so Miller, with Mason just behind breaking and running at them with pace will case them problems. I would rather us start 4-4-1-1 as this will give us more opportunity, and particularly Whittingham to have more opportunity to get on the ball so we can get a foothold in the game. Also, with Gerrard playing poorly lately, I would start Darcy at centre back to deal with the pace of Suarez and Bellamy. If Carroll plays a part, then Turner can sort him out, and Turner can also dish out some treatment to Suarez early on to rough him up and put him off his game a bit. Gunnarsson in particular will need to stand up and be counted Sunday, we really need to get into Liverpool's faces and if Gunnarsson performs and roughs Gerrard up, this will again allow us to control the midfield and let Whittingham work some magic. :ayatollah:

Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:39 pm

Press quickly
Frustrate
Try and keep the ball

If we play too deep we will get stuffed

We will play 5 in midfield
Gunnar, Taylor and Kev need big games to shut out service

We will have to rely on luck and maybe a moment of Magic from Miller or Whitts

Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:39 pm

Fire alarms in the hotel? :lol:

Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:02 pm

Score more goals than the Scousers :lol:

Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:25 pm

Pay the referee more like these days

Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:38 pm

Kick the shite out of them, brick the goal up and take them on the break. Dont know what else to suggest TBH, sadly after Wembley I think our season could well be over. Oh well, City life.......... You just have to love it.

Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:49 pm

Play Gestede, Earnie, Harris and Taiwo and have them all stand as close to Suarez as possible.

Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:52 pm

If were gonna score,

its going to come from a set piece, a defensive mistake letting miller clear or a bit of magic from whittingham,
once we're ahead, It wouldnt be a surpise if liverpool missed 10 chances and we steal it from them

Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:08 pm

After today it looks like Kenny will have a Bellamy or Carroll dilemma? Maybe he might leave henderson out and play them both?

How would you counter Bellamy playing? We know enough about him.... Hopefully Malky will start the mind games tomorrow! :lol:

Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:13 pm

sign rooney and scholes :lol:

Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:25 pm

bopman wrote:Score more goals than the Scousers :lol:

Didnt work for brighton, they scored 4 liverpool scored 3!

Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:29 pm

We will go with what we have used for many games now hoofball and hope,while missing are whole five in midfield while living in hope at some point we score from something.Eitherway its a day out but i would swap this 2nd hand cup final for the points we have lost in the league since we got to the final :ayatollah:

Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:58 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:The team I would play Sunday would be:

Heaton (if not fit Marshall)

Taylor
Turner
Blake
McNaughton

Conway
Whittingham
Gunnarsson
Cowie

Mason

Miller

Like you say Merlin, Liverpool will give us more time on the ball and this will suit Whittingham. I also think Liverpool's centre backs lack pace, so Miller, with Mason just behind breaking and running at them with pace will case them problems. I would rather us start 4-4-1-1 as this will give us more opportunity, and particularly Whittingham to have more opportunity to get on the ball so we can get a foothold in the game. Also, with Gerrard playing poorly lately, I would start Darcy at centre back to deal with the pace of Suarez and Bellamy. If Carroll plays a part, then Turner can sort him out, and Turner can also dish out some treatment to Suarez early on to rough him up and put him off his game a bit. Gunnarsson in particular will need to stand up and be counted Sunday, we really need to get into Liverpool's faces and if Gunnarsson performs and roughs Gerrard up, this will again allow us to control the midfield and let Whittingham work some magic. :ayatollah:

i would go with this line up.