Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Yesterday's Refereeing decision - sending off?

Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:26 pm

At the end of the day, The ref made a right balls up, he failed to send off the ipswich keeper, after he had hauled down Mason in a clear goal scoring/last man opportunity..... It would have resulted in them bringing on a 2nd choice keeper, and sacrificing an outfield player, probably a striker to play a 4-4-1. (IMO He would have opted to keep Chopra on the pitch and take Lee Martin off which says it all really!) It definitely heavily influenced the game, and I dont blame Malky using it as an excuse - It cost us big time.

For Jewel to say after the game that his team deserved it over the 90 min performance is fair enough, but the keeper should have been removed and it would have been a much different story! Apart from that I noticed Kev gifted them the third goal with a pretty shit tackle in fairness. He hasn't had the best of games for a few weeks now.

Lets just hope we can rise above next weeks occasion and put in a good performance against a very strong opposition. Get the final out the way, and dig in deep for the next 14 league games. 42 points available.

Re: Yesterday's Refereeing decision - sending off?

Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:35 pm

The man in the middle yet again decided the result of the game. I believe they should be hauled in front of a panel on monday morning and if found guilty of a bad refereeing decision (which clearly it was) then that ref should be banned 3 games for his blunder. There are too many decisions like this every week and your are not even allowed to voice your opinion, very sad.

Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:40 pm

Blue Steel wrote:The man in the middle yet again decided the result of the game. I believe they should be hauled in front of a panel on monday morning and if found guilty of a bad refereeing decision (which clearly it was) then that ref should be banned 3 games for his blunder. There are too many decisions like this every week and your are not even allowed to voice your opinion, very sad.

Maybe the refs should start getting questioned in post match interviews now as well so they can explain how they come to their constant irregular and incompetent decisions? I've watched it back 3 or 4 times now on bbc iplayer - and clearly without the foul Mason would have easily rounded him and tapped into an empty net! its Fecking awful! the keeps sprints out kicks him to the ground and gets a yellow card? was their even a resulting free kick from the yellow card?

Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:41 pm

Merlin wrote:At the end of the day, The ref made a right balls up, he failed to send off the ipswich keeper, after he had hauled down Mason in a clear goal scoring/last man opportunity..... It would have resulted in them bringing on a 2nd choice keeper, and sacrificing an outfield player, probably a striker to play a 4-4-1. (IMO He would have opted to keep Chopra on the pitch and take Lee Martin off which says it all really!) It definitely heavily influenced the game, and I dont blame Malky using it as an excuse - It cost us big time.

For Jewel to say after the game that his team deserved it over the 90 min performance is fair enough, but the keeper should have been removed and it would have been a much different story! Apart from that I noticed Kev gifted them the third goal with a pretty shit tackle in fairness. He hasn't had the best of games for a few weeks now.

Lets just hope we can rise above next weeks occasion and put in a good performance against a very strong opposition. Get the final out the way, and dig in deep for the next 14 league games. 42 points available.

Excellent post Merlin. The case for video refs is stronger than ever. Had Ipswich gone down to 10 we might still have lost but it certainly would not have been 3 nil.

Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:43 pm

They need to start using camera refs like the rugby.

Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:50 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:
Merlin wrote:At the end of the day, The ref made a right balls up, he failed to send off the ipswich keeper, after he had hauled down Mason in a clear goal scoring/last man opportunity..... It would have resulted in them bringing on a 2nd choice keeper, and sacrificing an outfield player, probably a striker to play a 4-4-1. (IMO He would have opted to keep Chopra on the pitch and take Lee Martin off which says it all really!) It definitely heavily influenced the game, and I dont blame Malky using it as an excuse - It cost us big time.

Excellent post Merlin. The case for video refs is stronger than ever. Had Ipswich gone down to 10 we might still have lost but it certainly would not have been 3 nil.

Personally - If the keeper had gone, I believe we would have actually been on top all game having 5 in midfield to control their lone striker. It really did completely f**k the game up - The Ref cost us - Simple.

Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:50 pm

We lost 3-0 merlin it still does not cover up are 2nd half jokeworty 2nd to everything performance :ayatollah:

Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:51 pm

Agreed think the keeper should have walked

But we still failed to score & shouldn't be reliant on refereeing decisions

Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:55 pm

bluebird1977 wrote:We lost 3-0 merlin it still does not cover up are 2nd half jokeworty 2nd to everything performance :ayatollah:

Cheers for reminding me of the result, I forgot that. But If the keeper had gone - it would not have been 3-0 - yes we are talking in hindsight, but we were on top for 20 minutes in that game before Ipswich scored. If there keeper had gone, they would have had nowhere near as much posession, the manager would have completely changed their tactics being a man down, and they probably would have settled for a point. However, once the ref made his odd intervention, the mentality of the game changed, and we were being pinned back. You can see though, from my initial post I am referring to the mistakes Ref's make on a consistent basis, and they are costing teams 3 pts. I still can't believe video replays are not being used by 4th officials - The TV pundits and commentary have usually seen/heard of the event/replays before the ref has even made a decision so I dont even know why we aren't using them.

Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:56 pm

Mr Moo Cow wrote:Agreed think the keeper should have walked

But we still failed to score & shouldn't be reliant on refereeing decisions

The ref's are there to make FAIR decisions, If they can't do that, whats the point of them even being on the pitch?

Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:58 pm

Merlin wrote:
Gareth (Wilts) wrote:

Personally - If the keeper had gone, I believe we would have actually been on top all game having 5 in midfield to control their lone striker. It really did completely f**k the game up - The Ref cost us - Simple.

I'm 99% certain we would have won because we were on top and as you say our 5 in midfield would have dominated for all the game. Hopefully the ref will be taken off the list for next week-however it is no compensation to us.

Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:59 pm

they ,ve sent goalies off for handball just outside of the box where its obvious its just a slight miss judgement.yesterday he took the fellow out well outside the box.covering defender was barely covering.sending off in my view.didn,t you have a case when the keeper poleaxed your man in the box earlier in the season and he stayed on and no pen?boro at home?would have changed game yesterday.

Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:04 pm

Merlin I agree - but we have forgot where the net is away from home

Leicester was a penalty but we were awful

Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:07 pm

What next merlin we need to play ten men to win a game or we did not win because of the miller dive that should have been a pen :lol: lets blame it on bad luck next.We did not perform its that simple 2nd half we was 2nd to everything thats HOW WE LOST weather it was 7vs7 on the field,anyone can start a thread "blame the ref" but we would have 30 of these up every week after every game thats how it is and in no way covers up are poor showing yet again :ayatollah:
Last edited by Bluebird1977 on Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:07 pm

jtc wrote:they ,ve sent goalies off for handball just outside of the box where its obvious its just a slight miss judgement.yesterday he took the fellow out well outside the box.covering defender was barely covering.sending off in my view.didn,t you have a case when the keeper poleaxed your man in the box earlier in the season and he stayed on and no pen?boro at home?would have changed game yesterday.

Boro at home the same happened-in fairness with the boro it was a borderline yellow/red card offence as Naughts was probably going away from goal-How the ref failed to award a penalty is beyond me.

We have also conceded a few very debatable penalties. Southamptons equaliser was never a pen (we had got away with 1 earlier in the game) and away at Peterbrough their 87th minute equaliser was never a pen.

Hopefully decisions will start going our way-starting with the Scousers next week.

Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:15 pm

bluebird1977 wrote:What next merlin we need to play ten men to win a game or we did not win because of the miller dive that should have been a pen :lol: lets blame it on bad luck next.We did not perform its that simple 2nd half we was 2nd to everything thats HOW WE LOST weather it was 7vs7 on the field,anyone can start a thread "blame the ref" but we would have 30 of these up every week after every game thats how it is and in no way covers up are poor showing yet again :ayatollah:

I think you might be having problems understanding hindsight?

As i mentioned in my last post to you - my main concern (which I created this topic for) was the truly awful inconsistencies in todays refereeing! I dont care about 10 men, about who was crap, or who can't score away from home! IF the ref did his job properly yesterday - we would have won that game in mine - and other peoples opinions clearly.....

Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:15 pm

bluebird1977 wrote:What next merlin we need to play ten men to win a game or we did not win because of the miller dive that should have been a pen :lol: lets blame it on bad luck next.We did not perform its that simple 2nd half we was 2nd to everything thats HOW WE LOST weather it was 7vs7 on the field,anyone can start a thread "blame the ref" but we would have 30 of these up every week after every game thats how it is and in no way covers up are poor showing yet again :ayatollah:

Completely not the point.

If the keeper hadn't dived into Joe he would have been rounded by him anyway and we would have had our opening goal.

Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:18 pm

Aramore wrote:

Completely not the point.

If the keeper hadn't dived into Joe he would have been rounded by him anyway and we would have had our opening goal.

HOOORAY!! someone with a brain! :lol:

Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:19 pm

What if,what if,what if every game we lost we could put down a bad ref and the things he got wrong yet we have won games where the ref got it wrong that how it is :roll: .This still does not cover up the fact we lost 3-0 by a better side :ayatollah:

Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:24 pm

You could argue that the foul itself was worthy of a red regardless of the fact that he was the last man. It looked a high and reckless challenge to me. It's obvious the ref bottled it.

Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:30 pm

bluebird1977 wrote:What if,what if,what if every game we lost we could put down a bad ref and the things he got wrong yet we have won games where the ref got it wrong that how it is :roll: .This still does not cover up the fact we lost 3-0 by a better side :ayatollah:

You haven't actually given any input to the topic - do you think it was a red card challenge? was it wreckless if that challenge was made anywhere else on the pitch? Was he the last man? Would Mason have scored? a yellow card - Why?

I believe Mason would have scored, we were on top, we would have been playing 1-0 up and our confidence would have been even higher.....

You had a moan yesterday that I didn't provide any information about the financial/investment thread yesterday when i was looking through it and posting, How about you practice what you preach?

Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:34 pm

What we are failing to see is that games are being won and lost on bad refereeing decisions. Without making excuses, if the ref had applied the rules of the game correctly then we would have been playing 10 men for 90 mins. Now then,surely that makes us favourites to win the game.I don't care how we played 11 against 11,we should not have been in that position - that is the issue and nothing else.

Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:01 pm

Stonewall sending off in my opinion. Not only did the keeper stop a clear goal scoring opportunity but he put Mason up in the air!

That's football though, you've just got to get on with it.

Hopefully karma will even things up and a decision will go our way before the end of the season.

Maybe on Sunday! :shock:

Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:22 pm

Lots of interesting points in this post Craig and I agree with you that the referee has got this decision absolutely wrong, in fact under the Laws of the game (Law 12 Fouls and Misconduct) it's difficult to see how hw could of got it more wrong.

Under Law 12 there are 7 offences for which a player can be given a yellow card and they are;

Unsporting Behaviour
Dissent by word or action
Persistant infringement of the laws of the game.
Delaying the restart of play
Failure to respect the required distance when play is restarted by a corner kick, free kick or throw in.
Entering or reentering the field of play without the referee's permission.
Deliberately leaving the field of play without the referee's permission.

I would certainly have liked to hear the referee's explanation on which of those 7 reasons the keeper was given a yellow card. :? :? :? :?

There are also 7 offences under Rule 12 under which a player WILL be sent off if he commits one of them. The offences are;

Serious Foul Play
Violent Conduct
Spitting at an Opponent or another person
Denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball. This does not apply to a goalkeeper inside his own penatly area.
Denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity to an opponent moning towards the player's goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or penalty kick.
Using offensive, insulting or abusive language or gestures
Receiving a second yellow card.

In my opinion the keeper was guilty of at least two sending off offences with for me the most important being seriois foul play. Under Law 12 referee's are advised to interpret this offence as follows;

Aplayer is guilty of serious foul play if he uses excessive force or brutality against an opponent when challenging for the ball when it is in play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent when challenging for the ball from the front. side or behind using one or both legs, with excessive forceand endangering the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

A player who is guilty of serious foul play must be sent off.

For me the keeper was guilty of serious foul play as he lunged at Joe Mason and took him out knee high. Simple decision really and absolutely unbelievable that the referee didn't do his job.

Playing against 10 men doesn't always mean you win but if the referee had done his job Ipswich would have had to sacrifice a forward player and that would have been a huge advantage to us.

For me Mr Hooper should serve a 3 match suspension for getting such a simple decision so badly wrong. Simples. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: