Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Never Had it So Good???

Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:16 am

Looking at all the posts on here questioning the board and saying we should be splashing the cash etc has got me thinking-Have we ever had it so good?

I have followed CCFC for over 30 years the last 22 as an exile.

In that time i have seen a fair few highs and more than my share of lows. I have seen us struggle at the bottom of the 4th division losing against the likes of Aldershot, Barnet and Darlington. I have seen us gain promotion with some great players (Bennett brothers, Hemmerman) only to get sell the talent the next week. I have seen great players like Ramsey, Bellamy, Koumas and Kavanagh. I've witnessed utter crap like Carlton Leonard, Chris Marustik and Andy Kerr. I have been in full houses and in crowds of 1500. I have travelled away with 5000 fans and also with 100 fans.

I have seen us lose Cup ties to various crap teams such as Newport and Bristol Rovers. I have seen many potential investors with 5 year plans including Jim Cadman, Samesh Kumar and Tony Clemo. I have listened to countless managers talking about us as a sleeping giant (Osman, Hibbitt, Durban).

I remember the elation of promotion to the Championship when Andy Campbell was the hero. Since that promotion we have established ourselves as a top championship team and have been in upper reaches for last 5 years or so. In that time we have marched to the top and blown a big lead. We have been in play offs for past 2 seasons and thanks to DJ fooked up and we have had an FA Cup final defeat again I believe down to DJ for not having the balls to start with Rambo. Every time we got close under DJ alot of fans (myself included) almost knew that failure was inevitable as despite big names/stars there was no real team ethic and pride in playing for CCFC.

Jones went and the board decided to bring in Malky. Malky has been like a breath of fresh air at the club. He has united players and fans and although our squad this season is not as good as last season in terms of talent it is twice as good in terms of desire and passion. Malky has lead the team to a great position in the league and of course the Carling Cup final. Malky has been sensible in transfer market bringing in the likes of Mason and Miller-1 for future and 1 with real experience of top flight football. He researches the players he wants unlike Jones who would bring in a player on a whim.

It is easy to criticise the board who have inherited an absolute catastrophe from PR/DJ and they have to make the club sustainable so we can no longer go around paying 20k a week to squad players and splashing out millions on wages for the likes of Chopra, Koumas and Oli.

Half the problem with us supporters is the fact that Swansea are above us (believe me it hurts me) but we all know that they will be down soon enough (next season) and we want the holy grail of premiership football which will come soon enough under Sir Malky.

We are 4th in the league with a great chance of the play offs and we are at Wembley in the Carling Cup final with a team that plays for us fans. Have we ever had it so good?

Re: Never Had it So Good???

Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:17 pm

spot on gareth some times i have to pinch myself never mind 30 years ago try 5 years ago people in cardiff used to laugh at me for going down the city now the plastic little shits want tickets to watch a carling cup final now im laughing at them :lol: :old: :old: :old: :old: :old: :old: :old: ENJOY fellow true bluebird supporter

Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:17 pm

Good post couldnt agree more.

Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:25 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:Looking at all the posts on here questioning the board and saying we should be splashing the cash etc has got me thinking-Have we ever had it so good?

In that time i have seen a fair few highs and more than my share of lows. I have seen us struggle at the bottom of the 4th division losing against the likes of Aldershot, Barnet and Darlington. I have seen us gain promotion with some great players (Bennett brothers, Hemmerman) only to get sell the talent the next week. I have seen great players like Ramsey, Bellamy, Koumas and Kavanagh. I've witnessed utter crap like Carlton Leonard, Chris Marustik and Andy Kerr. I have been in full houses and in crowds of 1500. I have travelled away with 5000 fans and also with 100 fans.

I have seen us lose Cup ties to various crap teams such as Newport and Bristol Rovers. I have seen many potential investors with 5 year plans including Jim Cadman, Samesh Kumar and Tony Clemo. I have listened to countless managers talking about us as a sleeping giant (Osman, Hibbitt, Durban).

I remember the elation of promotion to the Championship when Andy Campbell was the hero. Since that promotion we have established ourselves as a top championship team and have been in upper reaches for last 5 years or so. In that time we have marched to the top and blown a big lead. We have been in play offs for past 2 seasons and thanks to DJ fooked up and we have had an FA Cup final defeat again I believe down to DJ for not having the balls to start with Rambo. Every time we got close under DJ alot of fans (myself included) almost knew that failure was inevitable as despite big names/stars there was no real team ethic and pride in playing for CCFC.

Jones went and the board decided to bring in Malky. Malky has been like a breath of fresh air at the club. He has united players and fans and although our squad this season is not as good as last season in terms of talent it is twice as good in terms of desire and passion. Malky has lead the team to a great position in the league and of course the Carling Cup final. Malky has been sensible in transfer market bringing in the likes of Mason and Miller-1 for future and 1 with real experience of top flight football. He researches the players he wants unlike Jones who would bring in a player on a whim.

It is easy to criticise the board who have inherited an absolute catastrophe from PR/DJ and they have to make the club sustainable so we can no longer go around paying 20k a week to squad players and splashing out millions on wages for the likes of Chopra, Koumas and Oli.

Half the problem with us supporters is the fact that Swansea are above us (believe me it hurts me) but we all know that they will be down soon enough (next season) and we want the holy grail of premiership football which will come soon enough under Sir Malky.

We are 4th in the league with a great chance of the play offs and we are at Wembley in the Carling Cup final with a team that plays for us fans. Have we ever had it so good?

Great post!!! :ayatollah:

Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:59 pm

ANDYBLUE wrote:spot on gareth some times i have to pinch myself never mind 30 years ago try 5 years ago people in cardiff used to laugh at me for going down the city now the plastic little shits want tickets to watch a carling cup final now im laughing at them :lol: :old: :old: :old: :old: :old: :old: :old: ENJOY fellow true bluebird supporter

The plastics cannot appreciate the highs because they have never felt the lows. :ayatollah:

Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:00 pm

Well said Gareth your spot on , i have watched city since i was in school in the 60s. :old: This is the most successful time i have watched us in all that time. The trouble with internet (warriors) is everyone can say anything just to wind people up no matter how rubbish there statement is.
When you have watched teams in the bottom league out playing you at home YOU appreaciate today more than ever.Now is the time to get behind everyone of our players .IN MALKY WE TRUST :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:46 am

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:Looking at all the posts on here questioning the board and saying we should be splashing the cash etc has got me thinking-Have we ever had it so good?

There is a fundamental flaw in your post that leads me to think you
are not really such a long time City fan!!

In your sentence on shit players at CCFC you failed to mention Andy Jordan :lol: :lol: :lol: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:15 am

taffyapple wrote:

In your sentence on shit players at CCFC you failed to mention Andy Jordan :lol: :lol: :lol: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I was trying to forget Mr Jordan! :evil:

Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:25 pm

It gets better-we are now 3rd.......

Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:03 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:
taffyapple wrote:

I was trying to forget Mr Jordan! :evil:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :ayatollah:

Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:07 pm

Good post and worthy of a sticky! well done! :D :ayatollah:

Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:26 pm

100 percent agree with you butt. The only thing I will add is as you have stated last few years we have been nearly men and you can onlyy be nearly men for so long before 1) you win or 2) your talent leaves like last year.

I felt we blown it last year and wouldn't get our chance again. You have to accept life works in cycles and we are going to miss our chance to jump on the gravy train of parachute payments if we don't go up soon.

To go against the cycle when its not your turn you need luck, hard work and investment we can't punch above our weight foreve

Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:30 pm

Its nice to hear a good bit of common sense from someone for a change instead of the Doom mongers on here! :ayatollah:

Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:43 pm

Good post, I go as far back as the mid 60's I remember the great European adventures every year and the near promotions to the old 1st Division, however for most of the 48 years I have supported the City it has been utter shite. Years ago you were embarrassed to where your colours now you can wear them with pride. I totally agree about your comments on DJ but he did raise the bar and expectations its just he wasn't good enough to see it through due in part to his stubborness.

Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:45 pm

100 percent agree with you butt. The only thing I will add is as you have stated last few years we have been nearly men and you can onlyy be nearly men for so long before 1) you win or 2) your talent leaves like last year.

I felt we blown it last year and wouldn't get our chance again. You have to accept life works in cycles and we are going to miss our chance to jump on the gravy train of parachute payments if we don't go up soon.

To go against the cycle when its not your turn you need luck, hard work and investment we can't punch above our weight foreve

Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:11 pm

Well said Gareth (Wilts)
I remember watching Barnet on a wet & windy Wednesday night and then going again to watch Torquay on the following Saturday. I think this was under the Hibbert/Osman days. They were dark days indeed, but look at us now. The next step up is coming soon

Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:58 pm

Well I have to say that is one of the best posts I have ever read on this messageboard!! (except for all of mine of course :lol: ) -----I'm with you Gareth in terms of the long, sometimes painful journey we have been on with the Bluebirds and with a little push now we are close to realising the dream for all of us. Arise Sir Gareth of Wiltshire!! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:11 pm

Blazing Saddles wrote:Well I have to say that is one of the best posts I have ever read on this messageboard!! (except for all of mine of course :lol: ) -----I'm with you Gareth in terms of the long, sometimes painful journey we have been on with the Bluebirds and with a little push now we are close to realising the dream for all of us. Arise Sir Gareth of Wiltshire!! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Cheers Blazing. I now live in Hampshire so can you refer to me as Sir Gareth of Hampshire.... :ayatollah:

Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:30 pm

Fully agree were knocking on the door of the prem, another Wembley visit, crowds unsurpassed in recent years etc etc, and still we have the moaners, when I played spectrum manager back in the early 80's I would have cut my arm off to enjoy what were having today, my dad would always say to me many there today son ? and I would reply yeah it was wicked we have 3,200 what a buzz lol, we have moved on and time to back Malky and the players. Great post :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:44 pm

top draw.any fan of any club who has been through crap knows todays problems are high class in comparison.at birmingham now some are wailing about the owners etc.after the kumars wheldon this is easy street.the 1980,s cash crisis,s were acompanied by a falling down ground and descent into old div3.we sit in a half decent stadiam today and some people are moaning about we,re only 5th after a europeon tour and a cup final win.get a grip..fantastic post .by the way.did you see that in the pictures of fans hurling abuse at mick mc at wolves most of them were the under 35 brigade.?brought up on championship football and premier league.the older ones know that their current crisis is nothing compared to div4 and a ground with 2sides open.too many people expect success,i only hope for it

Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:52 pm

Totally agree with you mate I been a fan for 32 years and we have never had it like this in all that time onwards and upwards great post.

Am I being to greedy to want us to beat Liverpool if we pull it off it would be extra extra special.The club have come so far and 32 years on I still love the City. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:57 pm

brickyblue wrote:Totally agree with you mate I been a fan for 32 years and we have never had it like this in all that time onwards and upwards great post.

Am I being to greedy to want us to beat Liverpool if we pull it off it would be extra extra special.The club have come so far and 32 years on I still love the City. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

you,re not being greedy mate .only dreaming and hoping like i did last year.guess what?the dream came true....cardiff city ,whatever the score will not let you or themselves down.malky will see to that.this will be a tight game.