Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Honest Opinions Please

Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:30 pm

Do you think less of a fan that has only been going for 3 years than tp some one who has been going say 20 years?
The reason I ask that is because People often remind me that I have only been going 3 years and so on. Which they Right I have only been going for a short while. But I allways have supported the Cty. Did a few midweek games etc but I allways played Rugby. on a Sat. But now I go to ALL home games plus I did 20plus away games last season including Norwich on a Tues Night and Burnley on a Tues Night. So I cant see that since I have been going I can do anymore.
Please give me you're opinions. Thanks see you ' West Brom.

Re: Honest Opinions Please

Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:33 pm

Well our crowds have increased by almost 100% for some games in the last three years. Your as much as a fan , whether you go once a year, or if your first game was Saturday.

Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:34 pm

BlueCheg wrote:Do you think less of a fan that has only been going for 3 years than tp some one who has been going say 20 years?
The reason I ask that is because People often remind me that I have only been going 3 years and so on. Which they Right I have only been going for a short while. But I allways have supported the Cty. Did a few midweek games etc but I allways played Rugby. on a Sat. But now I go to ALL home games plus I did 20plus away games last season including Norwich on a Tues Night and Burnley on a Tues Night. So I cant see that since I have been going I can do anymore.

the more fans the merrier i say.

Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:38 pm

Glory Hunter :lol:

I don't think anyone can think less of someone that goes to 20+ away games , and all home games. It's probably more that most no matter how long they've been supporting them

Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:40 pm

Being the polite and diplomatic person I am may I gve you some advice here Bluecheg. Next time someone reminds you tell them to f**k off.

Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:45 pm

have you had some dodgy pills you sound insecure. :D

Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:10 pm

Cheggers Mate I have seen you at some away games and you have as much passion as anyone from what I have seen. And also you do take some uncalled for stick on the other board just because you seem to be good friends with annis. Dont know you really but from what I can gather you seem a decent bloke you took that Lad on sat with you who is slow. And you recently rescued a dog didnt you? Dont worry Cheggers pal.

Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:16 pm

Thanks for that Ystrad. You right I took a Boy who is backwards and havent really done much cos he is a bit poor etc, so I took him on sat and being fair to Annis and Joff and a few others they really were great to him. Yes I rescued a dog he is getting on fine now mate, takeing him to lessons once a week he's coming on a bomb.
There are certain people on the other board who seem to have a pop at me just cos Im friendly with Annis, sad really.

Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:18 pm

same as me went loads in 70's with my older insane cousin, played rugger in 80's then watched pontpridd in 90's got back to city in 00's but been an ambo for 3 years soon to be 4

just tell the knockers to f**k off :lol: supporting a team is not exlusive to those who have been going for a lifetime, people who knock you for that are just wankers :twisted:

rant over

Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:21 pm

The point is your are City.

Once City always City.

Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:25 pm

We're all the same fans, It doesn't matter how long you've supported the City, f**k them Cheg! :thumbup:

Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:33 pm

and anyone who is a city fan under 5 years gets a ree night out up the brunswick :D

Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:45 pm

Mate I think people have a pop at you on CCMB because you constantly stick up for Annis, he's a big bloke and can stick up for himself.

Anyway to get back to the original question. Personally I don't think it makes any difference about how long people have supported City, if you are a fan you are a fan. Some people need to realise this, it's almost as if they won't be happy unless we are back in Div 4 with 3k crowds.

Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:46 pm

BlueCheg wrote:Do you think less of a fan that has only been going for 3 years than tp some one who has been going say 20 years?

Forget whether its 3 years, 20 years or how many away games attend or even what people think. The biggest thing that jumped out of that post for me is that a rugger bugger is now a dedicated follower of Cardiff City.

Surely we should be celebrating that fact and not deriding it in any way?

Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:56 pm

Why even worry what others say? If it was me, I couldn't give a monkey's toss what people think, only my family (and even that's debatable at times) and closest friends. And no-one over there is either of these so stick 2 fingers up at them, tell them to f**k right off and just get on with things. It would be the road I would follow

Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:00 pm

The most important thing is that you go, regardless. I respect ALL City fans, & the more new ones the better.

Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:03 pm

If we didn't have new fans, christ, we'd still be getting 3-4,000 a week. I lived in Surrey between 1981 and 2002 and, although I tried to get to as many away games as possible near me, since I have moved back I have become a season ticket holder/ambassador and been to as many aways as I can do

Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:12 pm

If your City, your City. Everyone started somewhere, F***K 'em. As long as people are probaly up for it I don't give a toss. Simples!

Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:31 pm

Troubled Egg wrote:Mate I think people have a pop at you on CCMB because you constantly stick up for Annis, he's a big bloke and can stick up for himself.

Anyway to get back to the original question. Personally I don't think it makes any difference about how long people have supported City, if you are a fan you are a fan. Some people need to realise this, it's almost as if they won't be happy unless we are back in Div 4 with 3k crowds.

You right I do stick up for Annis, but he is a good mate of mine, and I just feel as tho he was having uncalled for stick. If people just had a Diffrent opinio to him then fine, but half the time they got personal.
But chees anyway.

Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:31 pm

It makes you no less of a fan at all when you started supporting the club. Of course it doesn't.

That's the answer to does it make you any less of a fan.

However, if the question was, does it make a difference? I think you need to understand why the answer is yes, and why that yes answer isn't a jibe at you or something you should be upset about. You shouldn't be upset at it. You seem a very reasonable and logical guy. I've known some people who are new supporters pretend they have supported the club for many years before they ever did. It's understandable why, when you witness some of the more irrational fans belittle people sometimes for only being relatively new as a fan, or if someone doesn't go to away matches, doesn't go to xyz open day. It's entirely understandable how newer fans can feel intimidated into trying to talk up to seasoned fans their support.

You don't do that, and the right ones, give you credit for that. You are quite open about your history of support of the team. Of course it doesn't matter a damn how long you have supported the club. I've lost patience with numerous elitist fans over the years, and it seems ridiculous really how they imagine a club moving forward and being able to pay their bills without more fans coming in than we had watch us a few years ago. They shout about how it's terrible we have 'gloryfans' coming to see us now, and yet will then later moan about how the club in Ridsdale is going bankrupt! They don't seem to be able to match that new fans mean new revenue and new strength and power.

However it does make a difference that you are a relative new fan, only in a very logical and understandable way, and one that is entirely away from how much or how good of a fan you are. I think you maybe need to consider that when you approach and talk about the history of the club, then you are always going to do so without having actually been there. That makes you no less of a fan, but on issues such as Sam Hammam, you should understand that there are more than one or two or even three accounts of what Sam was, what he did, and how good/bad he was. Don't listen to any one account on any one matter of CCFC history and follow it blindly, listen to every account you can about the history of this football club, otherwise your opinion isn't going to seem very informed, when you are already starting from a point that is less informed than others. Understand that some people may be sensitive to you making absolute statements about something in Cardiff City's history when they know you were not a fan during the time, understand how it may feel to some people. Not everyone will be able to approach you with a lot of thought and reason, some people are oversensitive and you will encounter some people not being fair to you. All you can do is attempt to learn as much as you can do about the club, and I have no doubt you have a passion about doing so.

We are a fanbase full of very different people. A lot of us are good personable people. Give everyone the chance and if they prove to be people who can't see further than their nose, write them off and don't get too hung up about it.

Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:16 pm

BlueCheg, I couldn't give a monkeys chuff how long you have been a fan, we need new fans every week, my only comment was that you were eulogising over Sam, and stating a preference of him over Ridsdale when in fact Sam had left before before you started following the club, I couldn't understand how you could make such a statement, that's all, no need to get all tetchy about it :thumbup:

It would be like me saying I prefer Kumar to Sam / Ridsdale etc, having never met Kumar.

For me, Hammam over Ridsdale any time but both not preferable.

The more fans we have the better, be nice to have 26,000 everyweek :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:50 pm

Cheegs who gives a flying f**k (Once a Bluebird always a Bluebird, you have definatley missed some great grounds Rochdale, Lincoln, Barnet etc) :lol:

Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:03 pm

Cheg, sticks and stones mate, it makes no difference what other people think or remind you of the only thing that matters is what you think. It doesn't matter if you only been going for 3 weeks your a fan and thats all that matters.Also your committment is there for all to see.

Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:22 pm

how have you been going for only 3 season's and able to sit than close to annis. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:47 pm

dutchdog wrote:how have you been going for only 3 season's and able to sit than close to annis. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:53 pm

Chegs who you use to play rugby for mate?

Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:54 pm

Hey SOFT LAD! Tel 'em to f**k OFF! :lol:

Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:55 pm

I used to play for Merthyr, not the 1st team tho the 2nds :lol:
But once I found the City and met great friends, then it was curtains on my rugby days. Lol.

Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:58 pm

ELY BOY wrote:f*cking hell gabbs, are you after a chapter in annis's new book? Haha.

f**k em cheg, you travel away, love the city and are a good man. See you tomorrow butt

Cheers Simon mate see you tomorrow night, I told Annis that when we get home I will then take you ok?

Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:01 pm

gabbsthenewt wrote:It makes you no less of a fan at all when you started supporting the club. Of course it doesn't.

That's the answer to does it make you any less of a fan.

However, if the question was, does it make a difference? I think you need to understand why the answer is yes, and why that yes answer isn't a jibe at you or something you should be upset about. You shouldn't be upset at it. You seem a very reasonable and logical guy. I've known some people who are new supporters pretend they have supported the club for many years before they ever did. It's understandable why, when you witness some of the more irrational fans belittle people sometimes for only being relatively new as a fan, or if someone doesn't go to away matches, doesn't go to xyz open day. It's entirely understandable how newer fans can feel intimidated into trying to talk up to seasoned fans their support.

You don't do that, and the right ones, give you credit for that. You are quite open about your history of support of the team. Of course it doesn't matter a damn how long you have supported the club. I've lost patience with numerous elitist fans over the years, and it seems ridiculous really how they imagine a club moving forward and being able to pay their bills without more fans coming in than we had watch us a few years ago. They shout about how it's terrible we have 'gloryfans' coming to see us now, and yet will then later moan about how the club in Ridsdale is going bankrupt! They don't seem to be able to match that new fans mean new revenue and new strength and power.

However it does make a difference that you are a relative new fan, only in a very logical and understandable way, and one that is entirely away from how much or how good of a fan you are. I think you maybe need to consider that when you approach and talk about the history of the club, then you are always going to do so without having actually been there. That makes you no less of a fan, but on issues such as Sam Hammam, you should understand that there are more than one or two or even three accounts of what Sam was, what he did, and how good/bad he was. Don't listen to any one account on any one matter of CCFC history and follow it blindly, listen to every account you can about the history of this football club, otherwise your opinion isn't going to seem very informed, when you are already starting from a point that is less informed than others. Understand that some people may be sensitive to you making absolute statements about something in Cardiff City's history when they know you were not a fan during the time, understand how it may feel to some people. Not everyone will be able to approach you with a lot of thought and reason, some people are oversensitive and you will encounter some people not being fair to you. All you can do is attempt to learn as much as you can do about the club, and I have no doubt you have a passion about doing so.

We are a fanbase full of very different people. A lot of us are good personable people. Give everyone the chance and if they prove to be people who can't see further than their nose, write them off and don't get too hung up about it.

Gabbs thanks for such a Huge reply there mate, but you are right people have a go at us having "glory" fans but im asking you what f*cking glory have we had tho? Lol. ok things are a lot better than what they were but we by no means the glory boys are we?
But thanks for that tho Gabbs mate.