Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

No McPhail tonight please

Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:39 pm

He is a throwback to our old "bottling" days under DJ.

Always gives away unnecessary free kicks, usually near our own penalty area, putting the team under pressure. Something we don't need tonight with the size of their team.

Spins around so he can use his left leg, so wastes time and slows momentum. Gets caught out by trying to tackle only with his left leg. I am starting to wonder does he ever use his right leg, (probably only for balance). The most one sided player I have ever seen.

Re: No McPhail tonight please

Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:42 pm

and he likes to get the ball down and pass it rather than hoof it up the park :roll:

Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:48 pm

Cardiff Daft! wrote:and he likes to get the ball down and pass it rather than hoof it up the park :roll:

I agree he doesn't hoof it. Probably as he seems to lack the power to .
Most of his passes are back wards, to our fullbacks who then hoof it as they are closed down so quickly.

Compare Whitts who can see a pass and tries to go forward.

I accept McPhail can be a calming influence, who can slow the game down and help control the pace, but I think he is a liability imo.

Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:49 pm

Cardiff Daft! wrote:and he likes to get the ball down and pass it rather than hoof it up the park :roll:

exactly - if it gets to extra time, I can see McPhail being a very important player for us.

Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:49 pm

Each to his own I suppose but for me he's a vital part of our squad and I dare say if Malky was of the same opinion as you he would have been long gone.An extended injury free run will make him better and If we get promoted this year I've a feeling he will have played his part.

Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:50 pm

Dont play a loyal player who likes to play real football for his beloved club... :?

Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:50 pm

Die Walkure wrote:

exactly - if it gets to extra time, I can see McPhail being a very important player for us.

For Godsake NO :o

Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:51 pm

i agree to an extent but mcphails passing is top notch even if it is sideways. give the ball to whittingham and let him put the crosses in or through balls but mcphails pass completion is always pretty high. i think he's a decent player to bring on when things aint happening which chances are will be tonight. gonna be a frustrating game if we dont score early. patience is key from the players and the fans. :ayatollah:

Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:52 pm

glas wrote:He is a throwback to our old "bottling" days under DJ.

Always gives away unnecessary free kicks, usually near our own penalty area, putting the team under pressure. Something we don't need tonight with the size of their team.

Spins around so he can use his left leg, so wastes time and slows momentum. Gets caught out by trying to tackle only with his left leg. I am starting to wonder does he ever use his right leg, (probably only for balance). The most one sided player I have ever seen.

At last someone else who isn't brainwashed by the McPhail is brilliant lobby. Counldn't agree more glas he might be a nice fella off the pitch but on it he is a total bottler and liability. We just don't need that.

Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:56 pm

Cardiff Daft! wrote:i agree to an extent but mcphails passing is top notch even if it is sideways. give the ball to whittingham and let him put the crosses in or through balls but mcphails pass completion is always pretty high. i think he's a decent player to bring on when things aint happening which chances are will be tonight. gonna be a frustrating game if we dont score early. patience is key from the players and the fans. :ayatollah:

Couldn't any old Gunna, Kiss or Mason pass the ball side ways to Whittingham? I have heard some crap for including this total waster in our side but passing sideways? :shock:

Anyone who gets into the starting XI (or on the bench for that matter) should do so on their own merit and for what they can add to the team.

From what your saying McPhail gets to play because Whittingham is there and that simply isn't good enough.

Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:58 pm

is he f*ck a bottler, the guys been through a hell of a lot. you dont fight stuff like that if your a bottler.

i know thats got naff all to do with football but it tells you about the man.

when he came on against palace in the first leg we started to get a foothold. didnt get the breakthrough we needed but we were pretty much camped in there half. now im not his biggest fan but i genuinely believe he's still got a lot to offer.

Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:00 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote: Couldn't any old Gunna, Kiss or Mason pass the ball side ways to Whittingham? I have heard some crap for including this total waster in our side but passing sideways? :shock:

Anyone who gets into the starting XI (or on the bench for that matter) should do so on their own merit and for what they can add to the team.

From what your saying McPhail gets to play because Whittingham is there and that simply isn't good enough.

where did i say he should start?

Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:00 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
Die Walkure wrote:

We'll see - but if it gets tense and especially if we're in the lead, he'd be perfect tonight!

You can't blame him for previous bottleing performances - that was the fault of the previous Manager, as many of us said throughout that period.

Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:03 pm

Semi final tonight, can't we leave the negative for one day ?
Let's get behind ALL the lads eh?

Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:04 pm

Tony BW crawling over a Mcphail thread. Wouldnt have got decent odds on that.:lol:

My only surprise he was not first to reply :lol:

Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:05 pm

Not a fan of McPhail, for the reasons the OP mentioned. But if Palace are going to defend deep and in numbers, this might provide McPhail time and space to pick out a killer pass.

polo wrote:Tony BW crawling over a Mcphail thread. Wouldnt have got decent odds on that.:lol:

ahh i see, makes sense now :lol:

polo wrote:Tony BW crawling over a Mcphail thread. Wouldnt have got decent odds on that.:lol:

Well someone has to get this McPhail is brilliant shit out of here.

Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:07 pm

buckleys brewery wrote:Not a fan of McPhail, for the reasons the OP mentioned. But if Palace are going to defend deep and in numbers, this might provide McPhail time and space to pick out a killer pass.

As he can only pass backwards I wouldn't wish for that killer pass if I were you.

Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:09 pm

you dont seem bitter at all :roll:

Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:11 pm

buckleys brewery wrote:Not a fan of McPhail, for the reasons the OP mentioned. But if Palace are going to defend deep and in numbers, this might provide McPhail time and space to pick out a killer pass.

As he can only pass backwards I wouldn't wish for that killer pass if I were you.

:lol:

Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:11 pm

Die Walkure wrote:
Die Walkure wrote:

We'll see - but if it gets tense and especially if we're in the lead, he'd be perfect tonight!

You can't blame him for previous bottleing performances - that was the fault of the previous Manager, as many of us said throughout that period.

You certainly can blame him for the stupid free-kicks he gives away outside the box (classic example Charlie Adams equalizer in the P/O Final) and the assist he gave to Lee Bowyer at Birmingham. Not to mention getting sent off against Swansea (take your pick).

His crime sheet is endless yet the brainwashed still persist in believing he can change a game for us when he has never ever done that in the 6 years he has been here.

Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:15 pm

Well someone has to get this McPhail is brilliant shit out of here.

Each to their own. I think hes a quality championship footballer. Would put him in the sitting role to keep play ticking over and push Whitts further forward where he can do some real damage.

Mason out, Mcphail in for me.

Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:17 pm

Quite simply he's past it. In my opinion he was past it 2 years ago. Seems like a nice guy though. Which isn't enough I'm afraid.

Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:20 pm

Die Walkure wrote:
Die Walkure wrote:

You certainly can blame him for the stupid free-kicks he gives away outside the box (classic example Charlie Adams equalizer in the P/O Final) and the assist he gave to Lee Bowyer at Birmingham. Not to mention getting sent off against Swansea (take your pick).

His crime sheet is endless yet the brainwashed still persist in believing he can change a game for us when he has never ever done that in the 6 years he has been here.

Over a period of years, you could pick virtually any player we've ever had and choose a few negatives - so that's not an effective argument, in my view.

However, when you look at the bigger picture objectively (and without the kind of obvious bias you're dispalying), there's no doubt that when McPhail has has a run in the team, we've been consistently better - that was true even under Jones, and now the whole tream plays football, rather than hoofball, and that's very much the McPhail way - I'd rather the ball go backwards and sideways occasionally than being punted up field to come straight back at us all the time!

Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:38 pm

Good post Die. Although well though out, reasoned debate does not work with Tony when it come to Mcphail.

He has this conspiracy theory that Mcphail purposely passed the ball to Bowyer as they played together at Leeds. :lol:

Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:54 pm

im not a big mcphail fan but he could be our winner tonight, palace will sit back and we will need to break through with good passes ,whits and mcphail might just get enough ball and time to open them up ,remember the saying horses for courses , team selection tonight so important ,we must put out the best team for the occasion , in mm we must trust , imo we will score at least 3 when we score first they will have to come out and that will not suit them , cant wait come on city :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:44 pm

The most one sided player I have ever seen? - step forward ( without falling in your arse ) the big time charlie Jay Bothroyd :evil:

Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:10 pm

KISS gives free kicks away alot more :roll:

Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:18 pm

Die Walkure wrote:
However, when you look at the bigger picture objectively (and without the kind of obvious bias you're dispalying), there's no doubt that when McPhail has has a run in the team, we've been consistently better - that was true even under Jones, and now the whole tream plays football, rather than hoofball, and that's very much the McPhail way - I'd rather the ball go backwards and sideways occasionally than being punted up field to come straight back at us all the time!

You have plucked that nonsense out of the air. Look back over the past few seasons and everyone of our blow ups has co-incided with McPhail being reinstated into the side after a period of injury or suspension.

You say that we are playing the 'McPhail' way and doing it very well even though McPhail is not part of the side? Doesn't that tell you something? Sorry bringing that idiot back now is a risk that is not worth the effort as previous seasons have shown that he is NOT the man for success.