Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Feedback about the drum "

Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:54 pm

The introduction of the Drum has had a mixed reaction amongst supporters the majority of which have been very supportive towards it. However there are a small minority who have criticised also whose comments we also need to take on board.

Some of the criticism has been aimed at my ability to play a bass drum! For the record I played drums for 18 years from 1982-2000 in various bands throughout South Wales playing all over the UK. Those who are knowledgeable about drumming will understand that thumping a base drum with a beater is a totally different discipline to the finesse of playing a drum kit. I have not picked up a set of sticks for 12 years and will be first to admit I got a bit to do to get back in the swing of it if I am to continue until a replacement can be found. At the end of the day it’s a bass drum I’m not going to be able to play double paradiddles on it or triple ratamacues it’s there just to keep the beat and momentum going.

Now if other musicians are willing to put their neck on the line we could create a lot more variety and entertainment instead of a Bass drum just keeping a beat.

I take on board the constructive criticism that’s been aimed towards me here is a selection: “The beat is to slow it’s like a funeral march”: “the drummer is beating the drum to fast at times it sounds like the flight of the bubble bee” “The drummer cut in over some spontaneous singing” “the drum was out of tune” “the drummer has clearly never played in his life” etc. Some Valid points on there like getting the drum in tune; The bass drum arrived Friday evening those musicians amongst us who have drum kits will know the manufacturer drum heads are crap, and the first thing you replace are the skins, so I will try and get a set of Evans heads before tomorrow night, however I will admit I’ve never had to tune a marching drum before which has 2 batter heads so you may have to bear with me for a while sorry with that one! To fast To slow don’t know what to say about that, I just follow the lads who start the singing with me? I will be banging it a lot less to allow for more spontaneous singing, as I agree that is also good for the atmosphere, and my arm and hand were killing me after 5 minutes I could barely hold the beater.

This is a reaction to the fans survey from last year so I am fully supporting the club and the fans who want to give this a try. If there is any drummers out there who wish to have a go you are more than welcome, I do have a couple of drummers interested and will be introducing them over the coming weeks. I am more than willing to take a back seat if someone else wants to have a go, but unless we get some offers I am afraid you will have to put up with me for the time being and my limitations. The trial will be over a fair period of time so the drum is here to stay for the short term. We will also be taking names from any supporters who wishes to have a go singing on the platform with Dibbs and I. We are only allowed 9 people up there at a time but either call in the supporters club shop or ring me with your details then I can add you to the list and try and get you on there.

Finally big thanks to everyone who has given me full support in this either through Facebook, text, or just coming up and saying well done keep it going

If you wish to join in ring or text 07814 779441

Re: Feedback about the drum

Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:56 pm

Keep it going, Vince. No complaints from me, but I appreciate it's not everyone's cup of tea - but then, neither am I!!!

:lol:

Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:57 pm

If it helps show the players how much supported they are, then keep it. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:02 pm

excellent graft from you once again vince any chance you can keep it going for the full 90mins tomorrow night i will bring my triangle with me lol

great effort wish everyone in the ground could at least appreciate its all about being the 12th man and creating an atmosphere which everyone can be involved in - suppoert the boys and make some noise

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well done vince ! :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:05 pm

Enjoyed it the most in the second half when it was noticeable it wasn't being played.

Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:05 pm

Vince, you do so much for the club and the fans it's unbelievable!

I have seen you sweeping,shoveling snow, organising, helping fans with tickets, police, collecting for various charities and the list is endless. Now, to top it all off, you're banging a drum!!

I take my hat off to you Sir. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Keep up the good work mate. :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:06 pm

I think it's helped a lot with the atmosphere and we all should get behind it, although I must admit that we can barely hear it in the family stand, especially when Portsmouth were in town. :lol:

Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:09 pm

I've got no problem with the drum - and if it helps tomorrow night :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:11 pm

The only negative thing I have to say about the drum is that it is beat way too slowly! I find myself along with others, singing songs at a much slower pace, Get to the end of the song and there are STILL people finishing up singing the same song!!

So please give the drummer 2 cans of Red Bull at 7.40pm cheers. :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:12 pm

No complaints from me. But I dont like the idea of a brass band, if its still in the running

Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:13 pm

I think it's working well, maybe give a little bit of space for fans to do a song! But Im for the drum tbh! Also for tomorrow could you be playing it before the players come out get the atmosphere going before kick off and make the palace players shit themselves!! And get the city players hearing the signing down the tunnel!! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

That's right all of you agree

Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:15 pm

No wonder they call us sheep shaggers all follow like sheep

Vince you are only taking into account people who you know or who are posting on this and the aamb board, there are on average 21/22000 fans who attend matches, so unless you ask them what they think, you are incorrect to say that it is the majority who like the idea, every person that I know who sits around me have said the drum gets on their nerves and spoil, their enjoyment of the match and that also includes me, and a few have said that if it is going to be a regular thing, then they would stop coming. Extreme maybe but it shows how they feel about it!

Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:16 pm

Much better. Love how you keep the Barmy Army going :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:16 pm

SBF1 wrote:Vince, you do so much for the club and the fans it's unbelievable!

I have seen you sweeping,shoveling snow, organising, helping fans with tickets, police, collecting for various charities and the list is endless. Now, to top it all off, you're banging a drum!!

I take my hat off to you Sir. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Keep up the good work mate. :ayatollah:

totally agree with this
society seems to be getting more selfish all the time so thank god for people like Vince who continously look out for the club and other people
fully support the drum ,also fair play to the other lads up top getting the singing going
wouldnt mind joining you actually :ayatollah: :ayatollah:
Last edited by englishbluebird on Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: " Feedback about the drum "

Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:17 pm

Sounds great and definitely improved things, just a slight increase in tempo needed :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:18 pm

Vince,
I know I was much nearer to Pompey fans than your drum, but they were unbelievable loud and created a fantastic atmosphere by their fans,but then they have been doing it for years.

I want you to be so loud v Palace that you drown their fans out. :lol: :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:19 pm

No problems whatsoever - Excellent Idea

Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:20 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Vince,
I know I was much nearer to Pompey fans than your drum, but they were unbelievable loud and created a fantastic atmosphere by their fans,but then they have been doing it for years.

I want you to be so loud v Palace that you drown their fans out. :lol: :ayatollah:

Annis, we could barely hear pompey up our end mate, and the canton was obviously EVEN louder from where we were! Thats why I think if you came over our end during the game you'd love it, but then we also need to keep a good contingency of fans over there too next to them lot to keep them quiet - so the owness is on you guys to drown them out! ;) think you can manage it? :o :lol: :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:23 pm

Love the drum the atmosphere has definitely improved since the introduction :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:24 pm

keep up the good work vince, good to see someone trying to get the stadium going it is slowly starting to
feel like home :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: That's right all of you agree

Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:29 pm

Igovernor wrote:No wonder they call us sheep shaggers all follow like sheep

Vince you are only taking into account people who you know or who are posting on this and the aamb board, there are on average 21/22000 fans who attend matches, so unless you ask them what they think, you are incorrect to say that it is the majority who like the idea, every person that I know who sits around me have said the drum gets on their nerves and spoil, their enjoyment of the match and that also includes me, and a few have said that if it is going to be a regular thing, then they would stop coming. Extreme maybe but it shows how they feel about it!

Julian Jenkins is setting a survey up mate after the trial is over so you can all have your say whether you like it or not then

Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:31 pm

Thanks everyone for your support it is much appreciated I will give anything a go for the football club and its supporters

Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:40 pm

your a pure legend Vince
Your always willing to get things going and the stadium needed more atmosphere
see if you can get a trumpet player now and then we really will get the stadium rocking
Keep it going mate im with you all the way

Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:42 pm

To be honest who ever designed our stadium , they forgot about acoustics. At the Pompey game I could see the canton singing but in the ninian stand it did not sound loud. Vince get some microphones and some big speakers. Let's get the place going. The atmosphere against Leicester near the end was one of the best. Let's intimidate their players. Like the Weeds game. Every time they get near touchline give them the NPark treatment it does work! :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:50 pm

I thought the drumming was awesome, deffinatly helps the atmosphere. I first thought we had a drum at both ends but then realised the one near me ( family stand ) was Pompey drums. Maybe thats an idea for future games, one at each end??????

My kids loved it to.

Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:54 pm

Im all for it it we have galvanised non clapping barmy army fans into getting involved :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:55 pm

Brilliant idea thjis drum.......specially as its in the Canton Stand.....just keep Ali away from the family stand.

Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:55 pm

well done vince,keep up the good work,down 117 so don't get your atmosphere as some one stated,so we best get our fingers out!!no cosy powell solos then :(

Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:59 pm

Vince, you are a STAR, keep it goin mate we are gonna show those Palace Ultras tomorrow what an atmosphere really is! LOUD AND PROUD LADS! :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:05 pm

It's great that you're doing something to help create a better atmosphere :ayatollah:

Couldn't hear the drum at all in the Ninian on Saturday though as there were two Pompey drummers. :lol:
If Palace take a drum tomorrow, they will definitely outsing us, just as Pompey did. It's a stupid idea that away fans are even allowed to take them.

Keep it up Vince, the drum is working. :ayatollah: