Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

The Drum

Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:17 pm

It's working. The atmosphere yesterday was fantastic, right from the start, especially with Pompey having their's too. It was even being banged in time yesterday too, well almost in time.

Tuesday is going to be excellent :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: The Drum

Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:19 pm

You can tell the guy hasn't touched a drum in his life.

Great effort though.

Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:59 am

Terrible atmosphere, our supporters are a disgrace. 1-0 up and like a morgue, no wonder we let leads slip when the fans show as much emotion as Dave Jones' crotch-less panties

Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:08 am

Pompey fans sounded more like an Orange march than a football match :lol:

Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:29 am

tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:Terrible atmosphere, our supporters are a disgrace. 1-0 up and like a morgue, no wonder we let leads slip when the fans show as much emotion as Dave Jones' crotch-less panties

A bit over the top dont't you think ?? what game were you at ?? i thought it was a good atmosphere.

Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:16 pm

DOCKER DAVIES wrote:
tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:Terrible atmosphere, our supporters are a disgrace. 1-0 up and like a morgue, no wonder we let leads slip when the fans show as much emotion as Dave Jones' crotch-less panties

A bit over the top dont't you think ?? what game were you at ?? i thought it was a good atmosphere.

Well, it is the truth. No point being in denial. It was like a Cardiff Blues game, except for the Pompey fans

Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:23 pm

The atmosphere in the canton was one of the best yet :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:29 pm

At times on Saturday there were periods of silence. But that still sounded better than the dirge of "thump, dingaling, der der der" that I could barely hear coming from the Pompey end.

I will say this for the drum - we have to want to sing. The team were playing poorly and the quietness responded to that, and the atmosphere picked up when the team played well. Whoever the bellend was who was calling out the whole Canton saying "your support is f*cking shit" should be ashamed of himself and never come to the City again. Who needs enemies?

You'll notice, and if you didn't I'm pointing it out to you now, that some of the best bits of chanting during the game were not triggered by the drum - Scotland's number one after the equaliser and dodgy keeper after our goals - and after Hudson's goal the drum did drown out a chant for Hudson which annoyed me a lot.

However, when the City fans DID start chanting when the team started to pick it up in the second half the drum came into its own, keeping things going (barmy army) and keeping things loud and steady.

It's no good for starting chants - the fact it's a bass drum means it's not melodic or adaptable enough to fit any specific sort of tune, only to keep a beat, that's what bass drums DO. But to boost an already good atmosphere it's perfect. And as such I think it'll come into its own on Tuesday. Just hope that some of the more brain dead of the chaps on the scaffold keep their thoughts to themselves and watch the game and sing.

Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:33 pm

DaveSheffield wrote:At times on Saturday there were periods of silence. But that still sounded better than the dirge of "thump, dingaling, der der der" that I could barely hear coming from the Pompey end.

I will say this for the drum - we have to want to sing. The team were playing poorly and the quietness responded to that, and the atmosphere picked up when the team played well. Whoever the bellend was who was calling out the whole Canton saying "your support is f*cking shit" should be ashamed of himself and never come to the City again. Who needs enemies?

You'll notice, and if you didn't I'm pointing it out to you now, that some of the best bits of chanting during the game were not triggered by the drum - Scotland's number one after the equaliser and dodgy keeper after our goals - and after Hudson's goal the drum did drown out a chant for Hudson which annoyed me a lot.

However, when the City fans DID start chanting when the team started to pick it up in the second half the drum came into its own, keeping things going (barmy army) and keeping things loud and steady.

It's no good for starting chants - the fact it's a bass drum means it's not melodic or adaptable enough to fit any specific sort of tune, only to keep a beat, that's what bass drums DO. But to boost an already good atmosphere it's perfect. And as such I think it'll come into its own on Tuesday. Just hope that some of the more brain dead of the chaps on the scaffold keep their thoughts to themselves and watch the game and sing.

:ayatollah:

Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:40 pm

milly44 wrote:

tylerdurdenisabluebird must have been sitting in a soundproof room (on his own)

Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:52 pm

DOCKER DAVIES wrote:
milly44 wrote:

Didnt hear too much of the canton sat in 116 just the pompey drum and that annoying f*cking bell.really think the canton fans should be nearer the away fans,drown them out!!come and join us over here.

Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:54 pm

blue 64 wrote:
DOCKER DAVIES wrote:
milly44 wrote:

Didnt hear too much of the canton sat in 116 just the pompey drum and that annoying f*cking bell.really think the canton fans should be nearer the away fans,drown them out!!come and join us over here.

No thanks, I dont fancy swapping my stadium card in the canton for a library card in the ninian, Im not a big reader ;)

Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:55 pm

tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:
DOCKER DAVIES wrote:

Well, it is the truth. No point being in denial. It was like a Cardiff Blues game, except for the Pompey fans

The fact you think the Pompey contingent were good is telling of your evaluation of what support should be. Evidently you prefer constant "noise" that has no real effect or idea behind it, than actual support at the right moment in a game to get behind the team and lift them towards victory - which is an idea that most of the Cardiff City Stadium seemed to grasp on Saturday, except, it seems, yourself, the Pompey fans and one pillock on the scaffolding.

Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:57 pm

Didny hear it as much as I did first time

Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:04 pm

milly44 wrote:
blue 64 wrote:
DOCKER DAVIES wrote:
milly44 wrote:

No thanks, I dont fancy swapping my stadium card in the canton for a library card in the ninian, Im not a big reader ;)

There,s a good section on prehistorics :lol: think the passionate fans are too divided.not coming to the canton can,t see the opposite goal :old:

Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:10 pm

I thought the atmosphere was good on sat, I sit in the ninian in 117 and it seems to have been getting better the past few games.

Pompey fans were very loud all game though and looked like they were enjoying themselves but ultimately that doesn’t matter because we won! :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:37 pm

Mikef wrote:I thought the atmosphere was good on sat, I sit in the ninian in 117 and it seems to have been getting better the past few games.

Pompey fans were very loud all game though and looked like they were enjoying themselves but ultimately that doesn’t matter because we won! :ayatollah:

wrote 116 i'm in 117 and i got a season ticket :oops: :old: yeah need to step it up tommorow,they got ULTRAS :o

Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:07 pm

blue 64 wrote:
Mikef wrote:I thought the atmosphere was good on sat, I sit in the ninian in 117 and it seems to have been getting better the past few games.

wrote 116 i'm in 117 and i got a season ticket :oops: :old: yeah need to step it up tommorow,they got ULTRAS :o

many people have said the pompey fans were great, I disagreed with that as in the canton stand you could bearely hear them.
I also think the atmosphere in the canton stand was superb saturday, but then 116/17 say we were quiet. :cry:

Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:24 pm

milly44 wrote:
blue 64 wrote:

many people have said the pompey fans were great, I disagreed with that as in the canton stand you could bearely hear them.
I also think the atmosphere in the canton stand was superb saturday, but then 116/17 say we were quiet. :cry:

I agree with Milly, also being a resident of the Canton Stand! Could barely hear the Pompey fans, we were even singing "We forgot that you were there" after their goals! seems to me that the distance between us all is effecting the sound in the stadium from all angles.... Having a direct (noise cancelling) mic and tannoy system over to 116/117 and vice versa would be a good idea if it could get implemented, but then there would be a lot of feed back through it. I dont see them point in them moving to us though, as we need a large crowd near the away fans to drown them out! To be fair, I thought the atmosphere in the Canton was pretty good, and the Ninian pretty poor, but obviously with these sound issues to one and other we are thinking the same about each other - seems if you are in the center of the park you can hear most of the sounds from all angles, so it's just a matter of cranking up EVERY section and if you hear some one starting off a song to try and get it going all around the ground.

Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:35 pm

milly44 wrote:
blue 64 wrote:

Wasn't that you wern't making a noise just they didn't stop making noise,drum,bell,trumpet.and sat closer to them thats all we got to hear.Its a location thing.malky commented on the atmosphere so your doing the job and the players are getting it thats what counts.Now we all need to shut palace up.Ninian stand step up to the plate please.

Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:58 pm

Well, if you Canton boys say you were making noise, then I will have to take your word for it....10 words is worth 1 from my mother. Incidentally, I asked her (she also stands in the Canton) and it seems you were making noise.

SOOOOOOO, that can only lead to the assumption that the Ninian was an absolute disgrace on Saturday, given the noise we had to feed off from the Portsmouth fans.

Everyone else can feck off.

Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:03 pm

blue 64 wrote:
milly44 wrote:
blue 64 wrote:

Wasn't that you wern't making a noise just they didn't stop making noise,drum,bell,trumpet.and sat closer to them thats all we got to hear.Its a location thing.malky commented on the atmosphere so your doing the job and the players are getting it thats what counts.Now we all need to shut palace up.Ninian stand step up to the plate please.

Yeah your right they didn't shut up all game to be fair to them, that's what we need to be like tomorrow night! :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:43 pm

I was sat in the middle of the grandstand on saturday so I was fairly central and at a good point to gauge the atmosphere. I can honestly say that was the best atmosphere since pompey and QPR last season. The drum did work (as did pompeys), as the first half was constant noise. Pompey were very loud fair play, but the canton were louder. Though, Ninian seemed quieter than normal.

I'm all for the drum, I mean it's not as if the club are trying to fabricate the atmosphere, as the drum is a product of the fans, and is no different to a fan starting a chant off to get the atmosphere going.

Long live the drum :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:56 pm

To be honest i think we need a drum next to the away fans aswell you cant really hear it in the middle of the Ninian stand. Also you got to ask yourself when the atmosphere gets going we got the stewards telling us to sit down all the time :old: But i for one am a fan of the drum so long as we are all singing from the same hymn sheet :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:05 pm

How about some of this...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN1K2esJ ... re=related :lol:

or this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e53lJ13L ... re=related